Well done McDermott and Hammond - Positive transfer window

183 posts
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Well done McDermott and Hammond - Positive transfer wind

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2013 13:43

ManchesterRoyals
loyalroyal4life
"We've made four very good signings in this window and you can see that the players we've brought in have already made an impact."

Can some one tell me what impact Blackman has had ????????????

Well, seeing as Blackman only signed the other day... :|

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Feb 2013 13:46

Pandoras Box
wonder if we did sell one or two, if we could have upped our bid for the Sig. Legsofwood for example, could fetch 1 million, to pump straight into the Gylfi deal.

Can I ask how many of our own players were looked at (wanted?) by other clubs in this window?

You can, and no, I have no idea.

We like to conduct our transfer dealings in private rather than out of Range Rover Vogue windows in car parks. I think I prefer our way.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2013 13:47

floyd__streete
LoyalRoyalFan Added 4 players to the squad, all of varying qualities and one or two of them have already proved their worth.

We haven't lost any big players. Another window where our best players haven't been sold.

We have tried to bring in Tom Ince, but ultimately failed, but that quietens down anyone who might question McDermott's transfer policy.

Onwards and upwards!

Folks! We've found Craig Mortimer-Zhika's Hob Nob account!

You seem to be forgetting that Brian McDermott was Chief Scout before he took the manager's reigns.

Therefore, he has more transfer and player knowledge than every single poster on here. I trust the manager to make the right decisions for our beloved football club.

The fans wanted the squad to be strengthened, the club has done that. No complaints from me, the signings we have made are decent acquisitons.

We could do a QPR and spend millions on over rated players and still get nowhere.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Feb 2013 13:50

No mate, you don't understand. Spending money means administration. Looking at the window ins and outs, that's a hell of a lot of teams going bust!

We can sleep soundly knowing we have avoided relegation by the fact 19 other teams in the league will be bulldozed wastelands by the summer.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2013 13:54

Extended-Phenotype No mate, you don't understand. Spending money means administration. Looking at the window ins and outs, that's a hell of a lot of teams going bust!

We can sleep soundly knowing we have avoided relegation by the fact 19 other teams in the league will be bulldozed wastelands by the summer.

We have spent money.

:roll:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Feb 2013 13:59

LoyalRoyalFan You seem to be forgetting that Brian McDermott was Chief Scout before he took the manager's reigns.

Therefore, he has more transfer and player knowledge than every single poster on here. I trust the manager to make the right decisions for our beloved football club.

Shame he hasn't got any money to buy them and has no option to resort to looking in the bargain buckett.

LoyalRoyalFan
We could do a QPR and spend millions on over rated players and still get nowhere.

Just like Melonhead, you are taking the argument to the extreme to prove a point. Not even the most critical or deluded fans expected or wanted us to do a QPR, however we has still spent nothing in Premiership terms and we risk going down and losing all the Sky millions by not even trying to spend a little money. Even signing a player for 5million may have made a difference.

Above all, thats 6 Premiership transfer windows and our club record fee remains at 2.5million. Just about says it all.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Feb 2013 14:01

Yes, I'm sure it is likely that Ince or Sig would have given us a better chance of staying up.

But they might not have fitted in. They might not have wanted to come, whatever the money. They might have been disruptive to the team ethic through breaking the wage structure. They might have insisted on having no relegation clause. They might have got injured and barely played a game. Etc. Etc.

All these things are considerations which the boo-hoo boys on here completely ignore. Other clubs, with gamblers at the helm, probably consider these issues as well, then think, "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and enjoy the worship and accolades that come their way for a few days until it becomes apparent that the signings have made bugger-all difference to the team, just emptied the club's pockets of any contingencies required in the event of failure.

Our club do not, ever, say "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and that is why we are so stable, not reliant on one man's sugar-daddy generosity, and others are unstable.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 14:03

Big Ern Even signing a player for 5million may have made a difference.

By that logic are you happier with the Blackman deal than Akpan? As I'm a little :| by Nick, but the cameos from Hope have shown some class.

Because Chris Samba cost £12m+ or whatever does that make him better than the £6m or so price tag that he would justify in a normal market?

Would you rather we had re-signed Mills for the price we shifted him on to Leicester for than bringing back Mariappa for less than half that? Is Gunter twice the player Stephen Kelly is? Would you rather have ALF or Torres?

I don't get the obsession with fees. Although it does feel like we are possibly that one player short and Gylfi would have been a sublime signing.
Last edited by maffff on 01 Feb 2013 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2013 14:03

Big Ern
Above all, thats 6 Premiership transfer windows and our club record fee remains at 2.5million. Just about says it all.

How good was Emerse Fae for us?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Feb 2013 14:05

LoyalRoyalFan
Big Ern

Nearly as good as Greg Halford.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Feb 2013 14:05

I don't think the fee is the problem. It's not being willing to pay a higher fee for a better player.

But don't let rational get in the way of crushing an argument.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 01 Feb 2013 14:07

So offering £12 million for Samba is reckless but offering £10 million for Gylfi is o.k?-I don't get that.
As usual,fairly unimpressed with our dealings especially with Brian's stated intention of getting players ready to hit the ground running and having Premiership experience.

Reasonable buys for Championship football but as I see it we have the numbers alright but there's very little between any of the players.
If any first-teamers get injured we have someone almost as good to come in or in the case of Harte and Jobi better players to come in.

I am confused and I think those at the club are confused at what are we trying to do here?
The way we play is almost an apology for being in the Premier League,as if we are a lower division side playing in the FA Cup whereas as last years Champions I would have expected more of a swagger that goes with promoted teams but we have scrapped towards 20 points and the normal 40 points needed still seems a long way off.

Nothing wrong with the effort on the pitch but we badly lack composure in most areas,a composure that a couple of older heads( with the Brian's Premier League experience requirement) might have brought to our side could well have given us a better chance of staying up.
It has surprised me that Brian has gone the opposite way and got just the one player out of four with that Premier League experience.

Needing those further 20 points I would have hoped for improvements on the squad that have so far got us a mere 20 points from a number of games more than we have left rather than just bulking up the squad.
I don't want to be watching Championship football,I love the thought of every game having some decent players to watch but I fear that we haven't done enough.
BTW I fully recognise that these newcomers could turn out to be stars'and I would love it to happen so that Premier League football is still for us every week but for every Alf there has been a Manset or a Mooney-a tricky business this transfer lark.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 01 Feb 2013 14:07

Extended-Phenotype I don't think the fee is the problem. It's not being willing to pay a higher fee for a better player.

The club, supposedly, had a £10m bid rejected for Sigurdsson. If they find the right player, they will spend the money.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Feb 2013 14:13

Royal Rother Yes, I'm sure it is likely that Ince or Sig would have given us a better chance of staying up.

But they might not have fitted in. They might not have wanted to come, whatever the money. They might have been disruptive to the team ethic through breaking the wage structure. They might have insisted on having no relegation clause. They might have got injured and barely played a game. Etc. Etc.

All these things are considerations which the boo-hoo boys on here completely ignore. Other clubs, with gamblers at the helm, probably consider these issues as well, then think, "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and enjoy the worship and accolades that come their way for a few days until it becomes apparent that the signings have made bugger-all difference to the team, just emptied the club's pockets of any contingencies required in the event of failure.

Our club do not, ever, say "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and that is why we are so stable, not reliant on one man's sugar-daddy generosity, and others are unstable.

What about the vast majority of clubs, who don't take the attitude "fcuk it, let's do it anyway", but make a rational judgement of the risks you've listed and come to the conclusion that they are worth taking?

Sorry to post the same thing again, but if like brendy you constantly ignore the middle ground and talk only of cutting our cloth or financial armageddon, you'll keep getting it.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Feb 2013 14:13

LoyalRoyalFan
Extended-Phenotype I don't think the fee is the problem. It's not being willing to pay a higher fee for a better player.

The club, supposedly, had a £10m bid rejected for Sigurdsson. If they find the right player, they will spend the money.

Well, nearly, anyway.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Feb 2013 14:18

Royal Rother Yes, I'm sure it is likely that Ince or Sig would have given us a better chance of staying up.

for once we agree. Surely trying to stay up should be the game plan.

Royal Rother But they might not have fitted in. They might not have wanted to come, whatever the money. They might have been disruptive to the team ethic through breaking the wage structure. They might have insisted on having no relegation clause. They might have got injured and barely played a game. Etc. Etc.

Totally stupid, speculative and comment. On that basis we should never sign another player again, nor should any club.

Royal Rother All these things are considerations which the boo-hoo boys on here completely ignore. Other clubs, with gamblers at the helm, probably consider these issues as well, then think, "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and enjoy the worship and accolades that come their way for a few days until it becomes apparent that the signings have made bugger-all difference to the team, just emptied the club's pockets of any contingencies required in the event of failure.

So every player that has cost 'a bit of money' is a mercenary who will not perform and take all the clubs money eventually leading to financial ruin????? Sorry, but even coming from you, a ridiculours comment.

Royal Rother

So every club thats spends money, well more than our transfer record of 2.5million, are going bust? You can cite Leeds and Portsmouth, however they are extreme examples and nobidy is suggesting we do a QPR. Are you seriously suggesting if we spent say 5million plus on a player we will go bankrupt?

2.5million in 6 Premiership transfer windows....Tells it's own story.

fruits

by fruits » 01 Feb 2013 14:19

LoyalRoyal22 wrote:
Kelly barely an improvement on Gunter.

You are joking? Aren't you.....??

Exactly, Gunter is useless ,Kelly sound and very experienced probably will be as
important as the signing of Griffin was.

People go on about us being battered for 85 minutes against the European champions,
in boxing a true champion can be losing on points, then he lands a couple of puches and changes the fight.

Just hope we beat Sunderland or the chavs will be out complaining about our transfer policy.

One suggestion I would make is appoint Steve Coppell as manager from August to Christmas and then let Brian take over,
for the rest of the season and we will be in the top 6, next season!!

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 01 Feb 2013 14:21

The only thing bothering me about the whole Sigurdsson thing is that, if Anton was clearly willing to spend the cash on a player like that (or indeed Ince), then why not try to move a little earlier in the window and earmark a list of 'higher quality' players that also might be available if Spurs or Blackpool were unwilling to sell.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Feb 2013 14:24

LoyalRoyalFan
Big Ern

I think you are missing the point. Let me explain it so you understand. 2.5 million was peanuts back then and is penauts now in premiership terms. It is hard to continually find gems in the Bargain Buckett so there comes a point where you have to spend a little more than 2.5. We have failed to do this and that is making some a little annoyed as it appears we are not even trying to stay especially when we have had a huge increase in revenue this year.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Feb 2013 14:30

Big Ern

for once we agree. Surely trying to stay up should be the game plan.

Royal Rother But they might not have fitted in. They might not have wanted to come, whatever the money. They might have been disruptive to the team ethic through breaking the wage structure. They might have insisted on having no relegation clause. They might have got injured and barely played a game. Etc. Etc.

Totally stupid, speculative and comment. On that basis we should never sign another player again, nor should any club.

Royal Rother All these things are considerations which the boo-hoo boys on here completely ignore. Other clubs, with gamblers at the helm, probably consider these issues as well, then think, "fcuk it, let's do it anyway" and enjoy the worship and accolades that come their way for a few days until it becomes apparent that the signings have made bugger-all difference to the team, just emptied the club's pockets of any contingencies required in the event of failure.

So every player that has cost 'a bit of money' is a mercenary who will not perform and take all the clubs money eventually leading to financial ruin????? Sorry, but even coming from you, a ridiculours comment.

Royal Rother

So every club thats spends money, well more than our transfer record of 2.5million, are going bust? You can cite Leeds and Portsmouth, however they are extreme examples and nobidy is suggesting we do a QPR. Are you seriously suggesting if we spent say 5million plus on a player we will go bankrupt?

2.5million in 6 Premiership transfer windows....Tells it's own story.

I'm talking about general principles, the considerations that RFC might be applying in its dealings. Does not mean that we couldn't have been more successful by breaking the policies that have, let's face it, been pretty successful over the years - but equally we might have failed. And set the club back years.

It feels like you are looking at all the potential positives that might have been had by spending more whereas I'm saying, look at the potential negatives, supported by the fact that the way we actually DO go about our business seems to be successful. I'm happy with that and the relative stability it brings. Others are not.

We could have done better.

We could have done worse.

But I am happy with the level of success we have seen. And that has been achieved on the back of financial prudency.

(The football's pretty shit though.)
Last edited by Royal Rother on 01 Feb 2013 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

183 posts