BFTG Wigan

314 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wigan

by Top Flight » 24 Feb 2013 13:17

McDermott, I love you. But what the heck are you doing?

You found a winning formula and as soon as you found a way to win matches you started making changes again. The winning team was this: REMEMBER?

GK: Federici
RB: Kelly
CB: PEARCE
CB: Mariappa
LB: Harte
RW: Kebe / Mcleary
LW: McAnuff / Robson Kanu
CM: Leigertwood
CM: Guthrie
CM: Karacan
CF: Pogrebnyak

What are you doing playing McAnuff in the middle? Akpan from League One? and why did you drop Pearcey? As soon as Pearcey came in we became more solid.

Don't change a winning formula.... Go back to what worked. That means bring Guthrie back in to the fold again.

Sort it our please McDermott. Anyway, I still love you, you're a great manager. Just stop tinkering and get back to what works.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 24 Feb 2013 13:21

All this 'for the first Forty mins we weere ok' bollocks... For f*cks sake; its nearly as bad as the 'did u leave early sh1te! In any case we were crap all game - its just that Wigan were pants too.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 Feb 2013 13:36

Vic_Flange All this 'for the first Forty mins we weere ok' bollocks... For f*cks sake; its nearly as bad as the 'did u leave early sh1te! In any case we were crap all game - its just that Wigan were pants too.

Ageed. It's like a starving ethiopian serching through a turd for that undigested piece of sweetcorn.

Shit is shit and thats what we are.

SINCE1964

by SINCE1964 » 24 Feb 2013 13:42

4-5-1 at home to a team 2nd from bottom and without a win this year is pathetic, if you have to play this way at least have an attacking midfielder in the side to make an effort to help out when the loan striker has the ball!. Yesterday Jem at the start of the game was the furthest player forward, hardly prolific is he!!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 24 Feb 2013 13:49

SINCE1964 4-5-1 at home to a team 2nd from bottom and without a win this year is pathetic, if you have to play this way at least have an attacking midfielder in the side to make an effort to help out when the loan striker has the ball!. Yesterday Jem at the start of the game was the furthest player forward, hardly prolific is he!!

Perhaps we'd be better if we owned all our forwards.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 24 Feb 2013 13:51

Top Flight McDermott, I love you. But what the heck are you doing?

You found a winning formula and as soon as you found a way to win matches you started making changes again. The winning team was this: REMEMBER?

GK: Federici
RB: Kelly
CB: PEARCE
CB: Mariappa
LB: Harte
RW: Kebe / Mcleary
LW: McAnuff / Robson Kanu
CM: Leigertwood
CM: Guthrie
CM: Karacan
CF: Pogrebnyak

What are you doing playing McAnuff in the middle? Akpan from League One? and why did you drop Pearcey? As soon as Pearcey came in we became more solid.

Don't change a winning formula.... Go back to what worked. That means bring Guthrie back in to the fold again.

Sort it our please McDermott. Anyway, I still love you, you're a great manager. Just stop tinkering and get back to what works.

McAnuff played in the middle for the wins against Newcastle and Sunderland.

My team would be

Fed

Kelly
Pearce
Mariappa
Harte

Kebe
Guthrie
McAnuff
Leigertwood
HRK

ALF

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 24 Feb 2013 15:06

Snowball It's going in but bends away

:lol: :lol: :lol:

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 24 Feb 2013 15:09

soggy biscuit
Snowball It's going in but bends away

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn you air resistance and mechanics of a football.

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 24 Feb 2013 15:15

Akpan should start ahead of Leigertwood & Karacan after their two woeful displays yesterday.

Also McDermott dropped Pearce for his performance against Stoke so I expect the same for other players. Not holding my breathe though.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 24 Feb 2013 15:34

I thought Akpan did OK, it was Jem who was useless. Runs around an lot but doesn't actually do much.

For those calling for Guthrie, he has the potential to be good for us in a 5 man midfield but the last few chances he's had he was useless and rightly dropped.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Feb 2013 15:58

PieEater I thought Akpan did OK, it was Jem who was useless. Runs around an lot but doesn't actually do much.

For those calling for Guthrie, he has the potential to be good for us in a 5 man midfield but the last few chances he's had he was useless and rightly dropped.

No he wasn't! :!: :?:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2013 17:00

Snowball
RoyalBlue
The only reason Pog should get as low as 3 is his stupidity in getting sent off. He worked his balls off during the time he was on the pitch, hassled defenders and held the ball up pretty well but he was left as isolated as a sodding hermit and McDermott and his so-called teammates are responsible for that. WTF is Pog meant to do when the ball knocked long to him and there isn't a teammate within thirty yards of him?! What's more, when he does hold the ball up he has to wait an eternity for other players to make their way forward and, even then, it's usually only one or two!

Pog aside, in the first half the only two players who really looked up for it were Feds, Akpan and Kebe. The latter did brilliantly to keep nipping in and nicking the ball off Wigan players.

Losing the third goal effectively means we LOST a point as it meant Wigan gained 3 points on us AND reached our GD.

Snowball, with your love of stats, I'm surprised that you've fallen into that trap. If we close that one point gap that now exists between Wigan and us, we must in the process end up with a better GD than them. (I have to admit that I thought the same as you at first!).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Feb 2013 18:20

RoyalBlue Snowball, with your love of stats, I'm surprised that you've fallen into that trap. If we close that one point gap that now exists between Wigan and us, we must in the process end up with a better GD than them. (I have to admit that I thought the same as you at first!).

Specifically, if we closed the gap at Everton by drawing 1-1 and Wigan lost 1-0, yes

But the point is, a one-goal defeat yesterday left us with a useful 4-goal GD advantage.

Even 0-2 left us two goals clear.

After Everton/Man U/Arsenal we will effectively be TWO points worse off (forgetting the points lost)
as by then it's virtually guaranteed that Wigan's GD will be better than ours.

0-1 and we might have had a 9slim) chance

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 Feb 2013 18:38

Snowball
RoyalBlue Snowball, with your love of stats, I'm surprised that you've fallen into that trap. If we close that one point gap that now exists between Wigan and us, we must in the process end up with a better GD than them. (I have to admit that I thought the same as you at first!).

Specifically, if we closed the gap at Everton by drawing 1-1 and Wigan lost 1-0, yes

But the point is, a one-goal defeat yesterday left us with a useful 4-goal GD advantage.

Even 0-2 left us two goals clear.

After Everton/Man U/Arsenal we will effectively be TWO points worse off (forgetting the points lost)
as by then it's virtually guaranteed that Wigan's GD will be better than ours.

0-1 and we might have had a 9slim) chance

Please leave to clever stuff to those who actually went to university.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 24 Feb 2013 18:44

Painful viewing as Wigan completely dismantled us. Our players looked so technically inferior to their players, it was like a League 1 team taking on a Premier League heavyweight all over again.

It will be mightily difficult to raise morale after that poor showing, and to start slating the ref is just bloody embarrassing. Very poor display indeed. Let's just hope that's the worst we'll play now until the end of the season.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 24 Feb 2013 22:22

Horrific performance.

Why did we play with three holding midfielders? Karacan, Leigertwood nor Akpan are going to open up defences. Guthrie was the missing link yesterday, or at least McAnuff in a central role.

Ian Harte is absolutely awful, and totally out of his depth in the top-flight.

Morrison has great potential and it would be very harsh to criticise someone who has been playing so well, over one mistake. I think his inclusion in the team highlights the lack of an experienced centre-half, which Wigan had two of in Caldwell and Scharner.

Kebe is our Messi

by Kebe is our Messi » 25 Feb 2013 00:28

To be honest, for our 3 out of 4 games in march we looked screwed. Aston villa is absolutely must win, and i mean must win.

We looked like we went back to the old reading at the start of the season, utterly clueless, total lack of any quality in all areas bar the goalkeeper and now we only have 2 strikers. Dont have a clue why pearce was dropped, heard mcdermott say he made 2 mistakes at stoke, well what about the countless mistakes Leigertwood has made this season??? And he lost his man for the first wigan goal. Easy to say after the game that pearce should have played but you dont change a winning formula surely?

Also mcdermott blaming the referee for some of the goals yesterday was beyond belief, how about mentioning how bad the defending was? I'm not asking for him to tear into the team but ' we must do better' is what i want to hear, not blaming the ref for missing a handball for gods sake.

Everyone who wants guthrie back in the team can jog on, he has been useless the last few weeks. When he came back into the side he played well, rightly earned his place but he has been poor recently and frankly dont care about him. I noticed at a home game against chelsea he was warming up and starting clapping the reading fans basically asking for a round of applause, you dont choose when your clapped Mr Guthrie. This big headed, arrogant attitude is not what we need and i hope he doesnt play much before the end of the season. Akpan's form has put him to shame and has come from league 1.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Feb 2013 09:44

Kebe is our Messi
Everyone who wants guthrie back in the team can jog on, he has been useless the last few weeks.

Oh fcuk off, he absolutely hasn't.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Feb 2013 09:56

cmonurz
Kebe is our Messi
Everyone who wants guthrie back in the team can jog on, he has been useless the last few weeks.

Oh fcuk off, he absolutely hasn't.

He's been ok, and certainly think he's offered more than Karacan.

Ledge/Carrico, Guthrie and Akpan has to be the three going forward.

Not sure who I'd put in a two though... maybe Akpan & Guthrie?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Feb 2013 10:39

That performance was a ******* humiliating ****** disgrace.

Sadly it reminds me only too well of the two ******* humiliating ****** disgraceful perfromances this club put up against Bolton Wanderers and Fulham at home the last time they were in this division

Brian carries the main can for this one with his utterly inept midfield selection when at home to fellow relegation strugglers. And as for the "Pearce didn't get close enough to two Stoke players last time out" argument, well that's just total inconsistent cobblers when you consider how bad Leigertwood is usually.

Only Feds and LeFondre could come out of that with any credit.

Going down now boys.

314 posts