MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
Once were Biscuitmen

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by Once were Biscuitmen » 11 Mar 2013 20:27

Ridiculous decision, effectively punished for massively over-achieving with an average squad last year.

We could afford the least investment of any of the promoted sides and going down in good shape with a proven championship manger would have been the least worst option.

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Mar 2013 20:35

It would be nice if the Brian created God banner could have a final outing against utd, with a chant for mcd too. After that we need to back the team and the new man. Given utd having a wobble perhaps we could get a freak win ( or suffer a backlash!)
Please let us not have Paulo (unless de Souza)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 20:38

Royal Rebel Really nice bloke (and fellow Sloughite) but clearly out of his depth at this level. Having said that he has had virtually zero backing financially from the Board (which Reading Manager ever did from any Reading Board ???).

"The Reading Way" is to blame and until they change their attitude Reading will be at best a Yo Yo team.

OOOh you're not allowed to say that - he had MILLIONS apparently and just didn't want to spend it. :roll:

Fezza

by Fezza » 11 Mar 2013 20:40

Not great tactics, weak transfer windows and too much faith in not very good players!

Devastated for the man but the right move for the club!

Rafa Benitez anyone? :lol:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Mar 2013 20:40

In memory of Brian........

And We Move On!

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 11 Mar 2013 20:43

Cripple Creek Absolutely appalling decision with potentially disastrous long-term consequences. We are going down whatever happens and while I've found some of Brian's team selections extremely uninspiring he is perfect for the Championship and I'm sure he's learned invaluable lessons over the past season. I imagine other clubs looking for a decent man with massive experience in football, contacts and enthusiasm and commitment as well as, by the players' own admission, excellent man management skills will be delighted. Good luck to Brian in the future. I hope he takes a few months off, enjoys himself and returns, as I'm sure he will, as a successful manager elsewhere. Gutted to be honest.

Move on Next please

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 11 Mar 2013 21:06

He done a good job in the past, but at present it has been shocking. It was time.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Mar 2013 21:11

11 March FFS. What really is the point in that? Should have gone before Christmas if at all. That said, the football is shit, the players are shit, the tactics are shit, the selection is shit, the fans are shit.

Punk Tew Asian

by Punk Tew Asian » 11 Mar 2013 21:11

Victor Meldrew To suggest that the mad man wouldn't have done this is ridiculous-in the past he has not been particularly slow to wield the axe,what short memories people have.

You're right, VM. He did it to TB1 at exactly the same stage of the season in 1998 and appointed TB2. It's because he won't have forgotten how that ended and how many £millions it cost him personally that I don't believe he would have done it now.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 21:24

Punk Tew Asian
Victor Meldrew To suggest that the mad man wouldn't have done this is ridiculous-in the past he has not been particularly slow to wield the axe,what short memories people have.

You're right, VM. He did it to TB1 at exactly the same stage of the season in 1998 and appointed TB2. It's because he won't have forgotten how that ended and how many £millions it cost him personally that I don't believe he would have done it now.

Didn't McD and all the back room staff recently sign contract extensions?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 21:25

Royal Lady
Ian Royal
Royal Lady Do you actually read these threads Ian?

We may have made a bid, at the last minute, for Gylfi but Spurs never once said they'd consider it or that Gylfi wanted to come back.

As I and others have said, we could offer £10 million for Messi or Ronaldo or whoever - that means we've made an offer - it doesn't mean either the player wants to come here or their club would accept our offer. It could easily have been lip service from the club because a) people were pissed off when we let Gylfi go and b) fans were expressing displeasure at not having made any real quality signings...

None of which means money wasn't available you retard.

And your PROOF that we did is?

Once again, thanks for the pathetic name calling.

The independent verification from Spurs. Act like a retard, get called a retard.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 21:27

Except I'm not acting like a retard at all. Like I said, they might say we made an offer, because we did, but they didn't say they were considering that offer and it didn't mean we any more likely to get the player than if we'd only offered 50p. Do you take absolutely everything at face value? :|

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Mar 2013 21:28

get a room :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 21:29

WoodleyRoyal get a room :roll:

Only if it had a noose in it so I could hang the little runt by his ankles until he understands my point.

clauski

by clauski » 11 Mar 2013 21:30

Best of luck to Brian, he's been a great manager for us turning us around in the Championship and taking us back up to the Premier League. But all good things come to an end and I think this was looking more and more likely as the season progressed. Big personal downfall for me was the underplaying of the Wigan and Villa games. Maybe trying to take pressure off the players but perhaps would have been better to really fire them up for these must win games by building them up.

The underlying issue though has to be our transfer dealings. Who knows whether this is down to the board and funding, or if it was down to Brian being overloyal to the players who took us up. But the hard facts are we have underspent and the players we've brought in have generally proved squad players only, not improving the team and resulting in a Championship side trying to survive out of their depth. We needed one or two really strong signings and that's where we went wrong in my book. Seeking to stay up by putting someone straight from Crawley into the Premier League (with all due respect and potential for the future not withstanding) says it all.

I still can't understand the repeated failure of the club, under JM or AZ to see: Staying up = £55m odd of TV money, and then some. Investing in assets to generate this income would be common place in a 'normal' business, as would making yourself competitive to your rivals. Why do we seem to be the only club who can't see this?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 21:31

Tamworth_Royal
Caskeys Lovechild
You have to be there in the first place to get relegated you brainless prick ... How many other clubs have achieved this?? That's right... None.

Wigan Stoke West Brom Swansea When using the term brianless prick look at yourself Caskey's Lovechild.

I think you'll find Wigan, Stoke and Swansea have only been promoted once. Swansea has only had two seasons in the Premier League in that time. We've had three.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 11 Mar 2013 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Mar 2013 21:32

working class hero It would be nice if the Brian created God banner could have a final outing against utd, with a chant for mcd too. After that we need to back the team and the new man. Given utd having a wobble perhaps we could get a freak win ( or suffer a backlash!)
Please let us not have Paulo (unless de Souza)

Sadly i was not allowed to take it in for the FAC game. Too big apparently. I would love to take it but it's not going to happen.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Mar 2013 21:33

Any plans for the flag Rex?

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 11 Mar 2013 21:34

Disgusted with the decision, let's all shave our hair off :!:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict