Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by windermere_royal » 02 Nov 2013 17:51

jesus fecking christ will this ever end?

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 02 Nov 2013 17:59

windermere_royal jesus fecking christ will this ever end?

Yes.

When Adkins starts to value results over "good possession of the football".

Or else with "Nigel: The right decision?"

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:05

Cureton's Volley
windermere_royal jesus fecking christ will this ever end?

Yes.

When Adkins starts to value results over "good possession of the football".

Or else with "Nigel: The right decision?"

:lol: :roll:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Nov 2013 18:17

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:19

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Nov 2013 18:27

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:31

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 18:33

^ Yeah LOL, just look at that Championship table as we pull 3 points clear of Leeds with our parachute payments and larger budget :lol:

Why can't people accept they were wrong about replacing McD with Adkins with good grace :?:

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:38

floyd__streete ^ Yeah LOL, just look at that Championship table as we pull 3 points clear of Leeds with our parachute payments and larger budget :lol:

Why can't people accept they were wrong about replacing McD with Adkins with good grace :?:

Because McD failed in the prem, and Adkins had lost 2 of the last 12 before getting sacked from Saints. Why can't people accept it was the right decision :|

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 18:41

Kebe's apprentice Because McD failed in the prem, and Adkins had lost 2 of the last 12 before getting sacked from Saints. Why can't people accept it was the right decision :|

Because it wasn't. Look how much Saints have improved exponentially since sacking Adkins (a decision which - admittedly - looked crazy at the time).

Kebe's apprentice is an apt username for you; the real Kebe was a useless coward as well :!:

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:44

floyd__streete
Kebe's apprentice Because McD failed in the prem, and Adkins had lost 2 of the last 12 before getting sacked from Saints. Why can't people accept it was the right decision :|

Because it wasn't. Look how much Saints have improved exponentially since sacking Adkins (a decision which - admittedly - looked crazy at the time).

Kebe's apprentice is an apt username for you; the real Kebe was a useless coward as well :!:

Coward? :lol: :lol: just because I disagree with you, you call me a coward? Great logic there.
Adkins was on target to stay up, which would have been a good first season back in the premiership.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 18:47

Kebe's apprentice Coward? :lol: :lol: just because I disagree with you, you call me a coward? Great logic there.
Adkins was on target to stay up, which would have been a good first season back in the premiership.

Rubbishing Brian is cowardly, particularly when simultaneously bigging up Adkins. Adkins regime at Reading has been embarrassing at its worst and bang average at its very best.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 02 Nov 2013 18:49

floyd__streete

It's a fair question. For me, it's because a lot of the football was a bit crap under McD even when we were promoted as champions.
We won games with less than 50% possession and scored most of our goals on the break playing smash and grab football. We all knew when we were promoted that the side was nowhere near as good as the Coppell 106 team and stood no chance in the prem without serious reinforcement.

It's true that the football is a bit crap at the moment and we aren't even winning, but we are still quite well placed and can hope that Adkins succeeds in getting us playing more like the Southampton side that he took to the prem.

My main concern currently is that things are not right behind the scenes with TSI and the players being made available to Adkins are not what he would have expected when he accepted the job.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 18:53

floyd__streete
Kebe's apprentice Coward? :lol: :lol: just because I disagree with you, you call me a coward? Great logic there.

Rubbishing Brian is cowardly, particularly when simultaneously bigging up Adkins. Adkins regime at Reading has been embarrassing at its worst and bang average at its very best.

I like Brian, and thank him for everything that he did for the club. However, I think that he showed that he could not cut it in the premiership, whereas Adkins showed that he could (admittedly with a higher budget).
Just because I want people to get behind Adkins does not mean that I dislike Brian. I think to win the championship with us was an incredible achievement.
To call the Adkins regime embarrassing is just stupid. We are 5th in the league, and have had many injuries, and are unbeaten at home. Not bad in my opinion. Especially when you look at where we were in the table at this point in the 2011/12 season.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 18:58

Kebe's apprentice To call the Adkins regime embarrassing is just stupid.

[League 1] Peterborough 6-0 Reading [containing several internationals] - embarrassing
[Bottom of the league, winless] Sheffield Wednesday 5-2 Reading - embarrassing
"We want to be Champions.....our aim is 21 clean sheets and 100 goals" - embarrassing

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Nov 2013 18:59

Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete

Coward? :lol: :lol: just because I disagree with you, you call me a coward? Great logic there.

I think Southampton would have struggled had they kept Adkins.

This is not hindsight, because I said it at the time; but, apart from that win at Fulham, I did not share the view of many that when Adkins came in we improved. We might have improved in style, but not in results; and one thing that worried me from the start was that Adkins's system was looser. I admit that watching Brian's team in the prem was grim, but I found it just as grim once Adkins took over--because losing is grim. I massively enjoyed our promotion season under McDermott, because it involved winning--and don't tell me those wins against West Ham and Southampton weren't entertaining, whether we had half the possession or not.

I think one reason we lost out in the prem was that actually we could not play the team that won the championship, because of injuries, contract disputes or whatnot. We lost a percentage of effectiveness, and that was enough to put us up against it. I was not in favour of sacking Brian; I am not in favour of sacking Adkins, either, but I am seriously not impressed by him so far.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 02 Nov 2013 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 19:00

floyd__streete

[League 1] Peterborough 6-0 Reading [containing several internationals] - embarrassing
"We want to be Champions.....our aim is 21 clean sheets and 100 goals" - embarrassing

We had bad results under McD, but you would not call his regime embarrassing would you?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 19:01

facaldaqui This is not hindsight, because I said it at the time; but, apart from that win at Fulham, I did not share the view of many that when Adkins came in we improved. We might have improved in style, but not in results; and one thing that worried me from the start was that Adkins's system was looser. I admit that watching Brian's team in the prem was grim, but I found it just as grim once Adkins took over--because losing is grim. I massively enjoyed our promotion season under McDermott, because it involved winning--and don't tell me those wins against West Ham and Southampton weren't entertaining, whether we had half the possession or not.

Agreed 100%. Well said.

Football matches are decided on goals scored rather than percentage stats.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 19:02

Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete

We had bad results under McD, but you would not call his regime embarrassing would you?

Nothing under McD's 3 years in charge compares with the two thrashing above which Adkins has chalked up in 7 underwhelming months.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 19:07

floyd__streete
Nothing under McD's 3 years in charge compares with the two thrashing above which Adkins has chalked up in 7 underwhelming months.

Stevanage in the fa cup
4-0 up, then lose 7-5 v Arsenal 3rd XI (at home)
2-0 up v Sheffield united, who were relegated, and lost 3-2 (at home)
Also a heavy defeat at Plymouth, think it was 4-1

3714 posts