Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 332
yuomi

Re: Fans' Verdict - Di Canio?

by yuomi » 12 Mar 2013 00:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3htJEBE8-4 explains quite well what the Lazio Irriducibli are all about. annoyingly i can't find it with english subs but the voiceover is english so you get the idea. interesting interview with Paulo himself.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Mar 2013 01:03

winchester_royal
P!ssed Off
winchester_royal He's clearly a complete mentalist, but I'm not sure his supposed 'fascism' arises from anything other than a need for belonging rather than genuine beliefs. His actions, as the article states, are more out of compulsion and passion rather than clinical political beliefs.

Are his views any more radical than the average man down the pub? Are his beliefs any more unreasonable than those expressed by UKIP who came 2nd in a recent by-election? I remain unconvinced.

I would like to put on the record my opposition to the "average man down the pub" becoming Reading FC manager. The "average man down the pub" can be ignored if their views are ridiculous, I do not have to go and support them every Saturday.

Also I believe you are confusing UKIP, a party whose focus is on European mass immigration and just Europe in general, with the BNP, a fascist, racist party that is the scourge of this country.
Similarly, the general interchanging between the Conservatives and Fascism on this board is a bit ridiculous, has nobody heard of WInston Churchill?

Anyway, due to many people's views about UKIP, it would be a divisive and confrontational move to appoint a manager who is known to be a diehard supporter of UKIP and therefore it would be a bad appointment. This relates to Di Canio, if the Reading Board have any sense they will understand that many Reading fans will be deeply unhappy about the appointment of a known Fascist. Unfortunately, McDermott ended on a bad footing with a proportion of fans, it would be very foolish to then select a manager who is already unpopular with a proportion of fans.

Nope, I'm not confusing them thanks. UKIP have certain views on immigration/society that could easily be construed as fascist.

Anyway, I'm wholly unconvinced that Di Canio is a 'fascist' in a way that modern connotations would suggest.

Sorry, once you make the Fascist salute in front of thousands of people there really is no turning back, regardless of your 'reasons'.

Anyway, once again, UKIP is really not fascist. Fascism is about unrivaled power, destroying democracy to ensure long term power for one particular party. UKIP is a single-issue Party, not remotely interested in running the country. Through democratic means their main goal is to secure a referendum for the British people on the issue of Europe, they are not pushing their own view on society they are attempting to allow the people to make their own minds up. If you consider UKIP fascist then what about all the Governments since 1973 who have refused to allow the British people a say on membership of the EU, surely this is more fascist?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 01:31

P!ssed Off
Sorry, once you make the Fascist salute in front of thousands of people there really is no turning back, regardless of your 'reasons'.

Anyway, once again, UKIP is really not fascist. Fascism is about unrivaled power, destroying democracy to ensure long term power for one particular party. UKIP is a single-issue Party, not remotely interested in running the country. Through democratic means their main goal is to secure a referendum for the British people on the issue of Europe, they are not pushing their own view on society they are attempting to allow the people to make their own minds up. If you consider UKIP fascist then what about all the Governments since 1973 who have refused to allow the British people a say on membership of the EU, surely this is more fascist?

I'm not particularly interested in a debate about British politics, and I don't believe UKIP to be fascist, however I also haven't seen or heard anything from Di Canio to make me believe his political beliefs are any more radical than most.

One 'Roman' salute, in response to fans who he grew up with, does not make him a 'nazi'.

Misguided? Yes. Unstable? Definitely. Dangerous/immoral? Not for me.

If someone can produce a quote that shows him to have radically fascist beliefs then I'll get on board with this Anti-Paulo campaign.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Mar 2013 01:47

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Mar 2013 02:06

My Italian friend's take on him 'Well, personally, being allergic to football, I don't follow Di Canio's intellectual evolution (if possible), but he has always been known for being explicitly and proudly a fascist. There is another famous Italian goalkeeper called Gigi Buffon, who repeatedly played wearing fascist mottos printed on tops. So, yes, you should protest against your club in any case. There's too much downplaying of Italian fascism among Italians.'

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 07:47

Archie's penalty http://www.repubblica.it/2005/l/sezioni/sport/calcio/dicaniosalut/noraz/noraz.html

Where are the radically fascist beliefs there?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Mar 2013 07:53

I don't want Di Canio taking over but people seeing one salute and making a judgement on it are stupid. Things mean different things to different people and different cultures.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 12 Mar 2013 08:02

Sorry to sit on the fence but NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 08:14

He's a manipulative cùnt

He deliberately made sure he was pictured circling like a vulture around the stadium on Saturday, knowing it would get into the papers

Don't want the fascists near my club

NO FÙCKING WAY

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 08:16

winchester_royal
P!ssed Off

I'm not particularly interested in a debate about British politics, and I don't believe UKIP to be fascist, however I also haven't seen or heard anything from Di Canio to make me believe his political beliefs are any more radical than most.

One 'Roman' salute, in response to fans who he grew up with, does not make him a 'nazi'.

If someone can produce a quote that shows him to have radically fascist beliefs then I'll get on board with this Anti-Paulo campaign.

Nah, he's not a radical fascist, just your everyday fascist :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Di_C ... t_politics

Like the majority of Nazis, Ideal and TBM
Last edited by Uke on 12 Mar 2013 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 12 Mar 2013 08:19

Brian was the best manager in the Championship last year after a couple of years practice and struggled to get to grips with the Premiership because it was such a big step up.

Di Canio has a bit of experience upto League One and loads on here think he's our saviour????

Go figure.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Mar 2013 08:29

soggy biscuit I don't want Di Canio taking over but people seeing one salute and making a judgement on it are stupid. Things mean different things to different people and different cultures.

I take it back on his part. I hadn't read this

He told the Italian news agency Ansa yesterday: "I am a fascist, not a racist.
"I give the straight arm salute because it is a salute from a 'camerata' to 'camerati'," he said, carefully using the Italian words for members of Mussolini's fascist movement.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 09:04

Uke
winchester_royal
P!ssed Off

Nah, he's not a radical fascist, just your everyday fascist :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Di_C ... t_politics

Like the majority of Nazis, Ideal and TBM

What does that mean? What does he believe in that is so immoral? What political action has he taken part in that is such a cause for concern?

Again, just wondering..

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 09:13

winchester_royal What does that mean? What does he believe in that is so immoral? What political action has he taken part in that is such a cause for concern?

Again, just wondering..

I'll let you Google more yourself ;)

But this is an interesting read

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/104-Ra ... e-politics

But then if you don't consider making salutes on several occasions designed specifically to have an inflammatory effect as "immoral"...

He's a calculating psychopath as shown by his presence and "accidental" photographing at the Mad Stad

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 09:18

Uke
winchester_royal What does that mean? What does he believe in that is so immoral? What political action has he taken part in that is such a cause for concern?

Again, just wondering..

But then if you don't consider making salutes on several occasions designed specifically to have an inflammatory effect as "immoral"...

He's a calculating psychopath as shown by his presence and "accidental" photographing at the Mad Stad

Did he do it with the intention of causing inflammatory consequences, or merely a heat of the moment salute to those he grew up with?

This is also an interesting read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

If the salute is the entire extent of his 'fascism' then I remain totally underwhelmed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Mar 2013 09:21

He's associates himself with the far right ultra element of Lazio - a club renowned for that sort of thing, does the salutes, praises Mussolini etc etc. Just because it's Italy doesn't make it any less relevant. Read John Foot's "Calcio" - incidentally an excellent read.

Besides I can't see it as a lasting relationship - he'd be off to West Ham as soon as Allerdyce (sic) was shipped out - or sacked for being utterly unstable and disruptive.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 09:24

winchester_royal
Uke

Again, just wondering..

Did he do it with the intention of causing inflammatory consequences, or merely a heat of the moment salute to those he grew up with?

This is also an interesting read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

If the salute is the entire extent of his 'fascism' then I remain totally underwhelmed.

In that article this is probably worse though! :D

I love Swindon. OK, it's not a place where you can almost smell the history, like Rome or Florence. It's an industrial town. That may not seem 'cool' to some people, but it only makes me love Swindon more. You know why? Because the people here are proper people; people who work hard, often for low wages. And," Di Canio continues, "when Swindon people tell you something, you can trust them, because they mean it.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 12 Mar 2013 09:29

winchester_royal Did he do it with the intention of causing inflammatory consequences, or merely a heat of the moment salute to those he grew up with?

He has defended Mussolini in his autobiography, has a tattoo in his honour, and calls himself a fascist.

Are you for real?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 09:37

This club is your club, this club is my club...

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 12 Mar 2013 09:38

well i got wood.guthrie..what happened to him?

302 posts