What's the shittest thing about the prem?

What's the shittest thing about the prem?

The expensive tickets
17%
The non-stop scrutiny of the games
6%
The uneven nature of it
23%
The oxf*rd fans
6%
The journalists who don't do research on the weaker teams
13%
The suppose high-quality of games which are actually crap
13%
The players who think they're Gods
10%
The day-tripper fans at our games
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 284
frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What's the shittest thing about the prem?

by frimmers3 » 16 Mar 2013 10:24

I am old enough go back to the days of Best/Bowles/Currie/Charlie Cooke/Worthington/Marsh etc who really wanted to show what they could do on a football pitch.

and in the pub.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 14:43

sandman ^

Oh the irony.

8) Don't start many threads mate so you can't be referring to me.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Mar 2013 15:02

That the liitle clubs are handicapped by officials favouring the big clubs to the tune of at least 6 points during the season. Whilst we've obviously had one or two key decisions in our favour the vast majority have gone against us (Chelsea offside, Newcastle handball, Aston Villa pen not given and offside when level, etc etc etc). It's enough of an an uphill battle as it is...It just becomes completely futile.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 15:06

Man Friday That the liitle clubs are handicapped by officials favouring the big clubs to the tune of at least 6 points during the season. Whilst we've obviously had one or two key decisions in our favour the vast majority have gone against us (Chelsea offside, Newcastle handball, Aston Villa pen not given and offside when level, etc etc etc). It's enough of an an uphill battle as it is...It just becomes completely futile.

I think it's as much that the successful teams create more and better opportunities for the refs to make decisions that benefit them positively in attacking positions, and fewer opportunities for refs to punish them in defensive positions. And vice versa for unsuccessful teams.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Mar 2013 15:15

Definitely the moany plastic fans.

I have no problem with people deciding they want to follow us now we're in the Premier League. I have a problem when they say things like "McAnuff has always been shit", or boo at the end of a match. If you don't have any perspective, then keep that to yourself.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Mar 2013 15:37

Reading FC.

Just watching the Saints vs Liverpool game - Saints may only be a few points above us, but they play so much better football than we do ....

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Mar 2013 20:13

Ian Royal
Man Friday That the liitle clubs are handicapped by officials favouring the big clubs to the tune of at least 6 points during the season. Whilst we've obviously had one or two key decisions in our favour the vast majority have gone against us (Chelsea offside, Newcastle handball, Aston Villa pen not given and offside when level, etc etc etc). It's enough of an an uphill battle as it is...It just becomes completely futile.

I think it's as much that the successful teams create more and better opportunities for the refs to make decisions that benefit them positively in attacking positions, and fewer opportunities for refs to punish them in defensive positions. And vice versa for unsuccessful teams.

Interesting perspective and I think you've got a bit of a point but overall I can't say I agree that that's the reason. I put the reason down to human frailty in the form of cowardice.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 16 Mar 2013 20:14

Decisions just don't even themselves up over the season for the smaller clubs.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Mar 2013 20:19

The fact everyone talks about money all the time. The TV scheduling and lack of midweek games, and the fact you know you've lost a match without even kicking off. The gulf in quality is shocking. And the fact certain clubs look down their nose at us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Mar 2013 20:21

Where is the option for 'superstar' referees who are no better than those lower down the pyramid?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Mar 2013 11:03

"The ref thought I was on work experience" says Eamonn.

Brilliant comment. I've been saying all season that the little clubs are handicapped to around 6 points each season in the PL. Make that 10. Another two points yesterday. As Eamonn says, we're not expected to get any points away at Man U so denying us a clear penalty doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things. It's not even worthy of discussion on MOTD. Don't rock the apple-cart Mr Lineker. Absolutely futile us being in the PL. Just cannon fodder.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Mar 2013 11:29

Ian Royal

Dead right Ian.
The thing I hate about the Premier League is just what Man Friday has posted-fans of little clubs forever moaning about luck or the lack of decisions.
They fail to see the lack of decisions given to the other clubs or the luck that we have had.
What about Alf's handballed (?) goal at Newcastle that ensured 3 points?
So many times people on here have gone on about that game away at Chelsea when they could have been 6-0 up in the first 15 minutes with a bit of "luck" and of course they did score 4 but just one of those was a dodgy offside.
I like the Premier League and my one major grouse is that the club didn't do enough to stay there-it's a bit like clubs being desperate to qualify for the Europa League and then moaning about a fixture pile-up and then put out a weakened team.

If you qualify for something give it your best shot.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Mar 2013 13:29

Victor Meldrew
Ian Royal

Dead right Ian.
The thing I hate about the Premier League is just what Man Friday has posted-fans of little clubs forever moaning about luck or the lack of decisions.
They fail to see the lack of decisions given to the other clubs or the luck that we have had. I'm not talkin about luck. I'm talking about incorrect decisions. Luck (hitting woodwork etc) certainly evens itself out.
What about Alf's handballed (?) goal at Newcastle that ensured 3 points? Proves the point. The few in our favour (Everton at home) are outnumbered by a ratio of at least 3:1 against us. (By the way, ALF's wasn't handball - has to be deliberate.) So many times people on here have gone on about that game away at Chelsea when they could have been 6-0 up in the first 15 minutes with a bit of "luck" and of course they did score 4 but just one of those was a dodgy offside. Again, not talking about luck, I'm talking about refs favouring the big clubs.
I like the Premier League and my one major grouse is that the club didn't do enough to stay there-it's a bit like clubs being desperate to qualify for the Europa League and then moaning about a fixture pile-up and then put out a weakened team.

If you qualify for something give it your best shot. Agree with that except that it's ultimately futile these days as it's all about money. The days of a club like Forest winning the league are over.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 17 Mar 2013 16:10

Every single thing about it since its inception.

I fucking hate it.

Passionately.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Mar 2013 16:11

Doing things the Reading Way.

Jude the Obscure

by Jude the Obscure » 17 Mar 2013 17:36

Royalee Doing things the Reading Way.

What like booing your team captain at the start of a difficult game at Old Trafford?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Mar 2013 18:12

I would say the lack of quality and the faux excitement.

There is so much media dedicated to convincing you it is amazing yet rarely do I watch a game that is actually any good. Then afterwards the media wil try to tell me I was wrong and it was actually mind blowingly good. The unpredictable nature of the lower leagues makes them more exiting to watch.

Barring about 2 or 3 players individual skill there is pretty much nothing in the PL I want to watch

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 17 Mar 2013 18:33

soggy biscuit I would say the lack of quality and the faux excitement.

There is so much media dedicated to convincing you it is amazing yet rarely do I watch a game that is actually any good. Then afterwards the media wil try to tell me I was wrong and it was actually mind blowingly good. The unpredictable nature of the lower leagues makes them more exiting to watch.

Barring about 2 or 3 players individual skill there is pretty much nothing in the PL I want to watch

That's because you support Reading.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Mar 2013 18:41

The shallowness and the showbiz.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Mar 2013 18:43

Victor Meldrew
Ian Royal

Dead right Ian.
They fail to see the lack of decisions given to the other clubs or the luck that we have had.
What about Alf's handballed (?) goal at Newcastle that ensured 3 points?
So many times people on here have gone on about that game away at Chelsea when they could have been 6-0 up in the first 15 minutes with a bit of "luck" and of course they did score 4 but just one of those was a dodgy offside.

If you qualify for something give it your best shot.

:shock: :shock: The fact that Chelsea might have been 6-0 up has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the useless Mason and his assistant allowed a clearly offside goal to stand against us. Equally the 'fantastic' skill of Man U has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the completely useless Mason cheated us out of an absolutely clear penalty yesterday (acknowledged as such by all neutral commentators).

As for the fact that we fail to see lack of decisions not given to other clubs - take a look at the 'evens itself out' thread and try to cancel out all of those with decisions our opponents haven't got.