Team v Arsenal

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins First First Eleven VS The Gooners

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2013 17:43

sandman
Royal91
SCIAG Good way of telling if someone is a numpty: they suggest playing HRK behind the striker again and again and again. This started before he even broke into the first team. Ffs, he's an excellent young winger, don't ask for him to be played in a position he's clearly not suited to.

I agree with SPARTA's line up.

Its no more ridiculous than playing McAnuff there, he has all the attributes to play CAM and thirdly I would have my three wingers playing a bit dynamic, as opposed to rigidly staying on the one side they been allocated!

HRK probably has the best first touch out of our wingers, he has strength and mobility, he has an excellent turn and can make a pass.

Not only that he is evidently a good finisher and header of the ball so arriving late in the box could be effective. Nobody has seen him in that position so YES I would question his positional skills and vision.

I've been advocating he could play there for ages so I ain't going stop!

When has Jobi ever played in behind the striker? He's slotted into CM but has never, as far as I'm aware, played just behind the striker.

Sunderland H. and iirc Utd A. Possibly in game last season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Team v Arsenal

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2013 17:46

Rollerbob
jar95
2 world wars, 1 world cup Adkins needs to put things right:

---------------- TAYLOR -------
--GUNTER -- GORKSS--MORRISON--HARTE
---CUMMINGS -- KARACAN--TABB--McCLEARY
----------HUNT--BLACKMAN----

Long balls to Hunt please at every opportunity.

what an awful team

Spot on. That's the worst Reading team I can think of.

Fixed and only including the first team squad.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2013 18:41

Ian Royal
sandman
Royal91 Its no more ridiculous than playing McAnuff there, he has all the attributes to play CAM and thirdly I would have my three wingers playing a bit dynamic, as opposed to rigidly staying on the one side they been allocated!

HRK probably has the best first touch out of our wingers, he has strength and mobility, he has an excellent turn and can make a pass.

Not only that he is evidently a good finisher and header of the ball so arriving late in the box could be effective. Nobody has seen him in that position so YES I would question his positional skills and vision.

When has Jobi ever played in behind the striker? He's slotted into CM but has never, as far as I'm aware, played just behind the striker.

Sunderland H. and iirc Utd A. Possibly in game last season.

Not as a traditional behind the striker ACM in the Gylfi mode. In the 4-1-4-1 Ledge sits in front of the defence while Jobi and a/n other (whoever he is) play in the central 4. Whilst for it to work they need to be close to the lone front man when he receives the ball neither play as an actual behind the striker ACM.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2013 19:03

Jobi clearly had a free role against Sunderland and was more advanced than the other two.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 28 Mar 2013 01:07

Wipped
SPARTA Don't expect much change to the United line-up. I would though like to see Carrico get some sort of pitch time, and Guthrie also.

============================= McCARTHY =============================

KELLY ============ MARIAPPA ============= PEARCE ============= SHOREY

=========================== LEIGERTWOOD ============================

KEBE ============== GUTHRIE ============ KARACAN ============ McANUFF

=========================== POGREBNYAK =============================

I think that's a likely lineup but I think he'll like the look of Le Fondre as well. How he fits him in we will just have to see.

Brian had finally worked out a winning formula......then changed it, probably under pressure from the player himself,....as well as others. This happens when you win awards......Alf should go back to 'Super-Sub', showing his pace and dexterity of feet, blasting in GOALS!!!!!......in the last 10 minutes.....of every one of our last remaining games. Brian should never have changed it, once he the winning wy!

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 28 Mar 2013 09:54

------------------ McCarthy -------------------

Kelly ----- Pearce --- Marriappa ----- Shorey

--------- Leigertwood --- Karacan -------------

McCleary ------ McAnuff ------ Robson-Kanu

---------------- Pogrebnyak ------------------

BENCH: LeFondre, Harte, Gunter, Blackman, McCleary, Guthrie, Taylor

Kebe injured and Guthrie still not playing because he's (get this) not all that and not physical enough. McCarthy fit!

I still think Robson-Kanu could do great things upfront but it's too soon to put him there for a new manager.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Mar 2013 09:39

With all this talk of making it a more passing team I don't see Karacan being a favorite. I don't think he'll start tomorrow and may well struggle to make the squad.

RedRum

by RedRum » 29 Mar 2013 10:14

Royal Ginger With all this talk of making it a more passing team I don't see Karacan being a favorite. I don't think he'll start tomorrow and may well struggle to make the squad.

Thought he did great at United tbh

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Mar 2013 12:40

Royal91
SCIAG Good way of telling if someone is a numpty: they suggest playing HRK behind the striker again and again and again. This started before he even broke into the first team. Ffs, he's an excellent young winger, don't ask for him to be played in a position he's clearly not suited to.

I agree with SPARTA's line up.

Its no more ridiculous than playing McAnuff there, he has all the attributes to play CAM and thirdly I would have my three wingers playing a bit dynamic, as opposed to rigidly staying on the one side they been allocated!

Nobody has seen him play in that position? Speak for yourself. Brian tried him there and he struggled, the centre of the pitch was too crowded so his dribbling was ineffective. It's a common feature of his game that he isn't good against crowded defences. Most of his goals are scored on the counter attack. He did have a good game for Wales in a fairly free role.

I think he probably has the worst first touch of our wingers. His strengths are getting into goalscoring positions, his directness, his strength, and he's also very good at putting swerve on his shots. Essentially he's Stephen Hunt 2.0. McAnuff, on the other hand, is better at dribbling through the middle, a better passer, and generally has better technical ability, though he's poor in front of goal. McAnuff is also better defensively so we'd be playing something resembling 4-5-1 rather than 4-4-2 masquerading as 4-5-1.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Mar 2013 16:25

RedRum
Royal Ginger With all this talk of making it a more passing team I don't see Karacan being a favorite. I don't think he'll start tomorrow and may well struggle to make the squad.

He always ups his game against the big name clubs - remember his storming performances against Liverpool in the FA Cup? But he is consistently the weakest in possession of all of our midfielders. And whilst his workrate is superb, it does smack a tiny bit of kiddie football where they just spend the entire game chasing the ball with no regard to holding position.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Mar 2013 16:55

I'm really excited for tomorrow for some reason. Wish I was going now.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 29 Mar 2013 17:52

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 39859.aspx

Article about Adkins keeping quiet about injuries. Seems a little weird to me and kind of suggests that Carrico and Guthrie will suddenly be fit again with the absence of McDermott. Smells of some kind of excuse or summink.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Mar 2013 18:13

RockheadRumple http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/injuries-280313-739859.aspx

Article about Adkins keeping quiet about injuries. Seems a little weird to me and kind of suggests that Carrico and Guthrie will suddenly be fit again with the absence of McDermott. Smells of some kind of excuse or summink.

More like it's his first game in charge, so wants us to be as much of an unknown quantity as possible.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Mar 2013 22:43

RedRum

I can't comment on that because i didn't see that game, but for the rest of the season, Karacan's been great at fighting for the ball and...running lots, but i've been much less convinced by his passing. He doesn't seem to have much of an eye for it. It either seemed to be failed attempts at killer balls, or, he gets on it, waits for the other team's defense to catch up then decides to play sideways/back to a fullback.