Back from the game - Southampton (H)

224 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Southampton (H)

by Royal Lady » 06 Apr 2013 20:08

Para Handy Unlike some of the more vitriolic posters on here (Lolz), I have no desire to pile into players that are doing their best.

I've been a fan for over 40 years. I've been a season ticket holder at Madejski since we moved there.

Maybe I should put this in another thread, but to be honest, I can't be arsed.

I think I'll probably not bother renewing next year.

Partly because I'm not enjoying the games these days. 15 years on and I still don't like the "new" stadium. There's never been an atmosphere that could touch Elm Park on a night game. OK. The Wigan playoff game and West Brom, this season, were good but still nothing like the intensity and feral atmosphere Elm Park could generate.

Anyway, I digress. A large part of thinking about not renewing is that I don't feel the same about the "club" these days. For me, it's gone from football to big business. I'm aware that's not a shattering insight but it's one that saddens me.

I'm disgusted with the way "my" club treated Brian McDermott. I'm quite confused why they (you) think Nigel Adkins is such a better bet. Erm, sorry, those of you questioning Brian's tactics should take a look at playing ALF up front on his own for most of the game today. Big target, hold 'em up striker he ain't. 1-0 down in a game we HAD to win and we perservered with that strategy long way past it was obvious it wasn't working.

Finally, there's a fantastic amount of short memories on here. I can't believe the abuse Brian has taken on here. A few short months after winning the Championship and he's being called a bald cunt. Unbelievable.

Reading are punching above their weight massively in terms of fanbase and some of you should start to realise that. Look down a Division or two and see some truly bigger teams than us. Leeds United, Birmingham City, both Sheffields, yeah, even Brighton.

Surprising +1 to all that PH.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Apr 2013 20:09

Para Handy Unlike some of the more vitriolic posters on here (Lolz), I have no desire to pile into players that are doing their best.

I've been a fan for over 40 years. I've been a season ticket holder at Madejski since we moved there.

Maybe I should put this in another thread, but to be honest, I can't be arsed.

I think I'll probably not bother renewing next year.

Partly because I'm not enjoying the games these days. 15 years on and I still don't like the "new" stadium. There's never been an atmosphere that could touch Elm Park on a night game. OK. The Wigan playoff game and West Brom, this season, were good but still nothing like the intensity and feral atmosphere Elm Park could generate.

Anyway, I digress. A large part of thinking about not renewing is that I don't feel the same about the "club" these days. For me, it's gone from football to big business. I'm aware that's not a shattering insight but it's one that saddens me.

I'm disgusted with the way "my" club treated Brian McDermott. I'm quite confused why they (you) think Nigel Adkins is such a better bet. Erm, sorry, those of you questioning Brian's tactics should take a look at playing ALF up front on his own for most of the game today. Big target, hold 'em up striker he ain't. 1-0 down in a game we HAD to win and we perservered with that strategy long way past it was obvious it wasn't working.

Finally, there's a fantastic amount of short memories on here. I can't believe the abuse Brian has taken on here. A few short months after winning the Championship and he's being called a bald cunt. Unbelievable.

Reading are punching above their weight massively in terms of fanbase and some of you should start to realise that. Look down a Division or two and see some truly bigger teams than us. Leeds United, Birmingham City, both Sheffields, yeah, even Brighton.

This echoes my sentiments, particularly the treatment of Brian (icluding Mr New Moneybags having a bit of a go whilst Brian remains dignified) and the 'big business' criticisms. Must admit, I had a bad start to this season after the Olympics and the Euros. Think I'll let the younger fan take my place now. I'm too jaded. Obviously I hope we do well but I do fear us slipping down the divisions (or getting close to do so). I don't think we're in safe hands at the top anymore.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 06 Apr 2013 20:13

RoyalBlue
leon Spot on, Para. if we'd played like that under BM the residents of the team board would have imploded in a massive tantrum.

FFS how dumb do you have to be not to realise that the reason the team are playing the way they are is because they are McDermott's players and have had his 'style' of football drummed into them over the past couple of seasons?! :roll:

Adkins can't change the players in the squad (shame McDermott and Hammond wasted the last transfer window) and no one would be able to dramatically change the way they play, let alone turn them into quality players in less than two weeks. The mess we are currently witnessing is the work of McDermott. Just like when a new political party takes over in government, Atkins has a honeymoon period when the blame sits fairly and squarely with the previous incumbents.

McDermott's very significant failing was that he spent far too much time creating a 'united/great team' with 'really good characters' and nowhere near enough time ensuring that he had quality footballers playing decent football. Great teamwork got us out of the Championship with average players but that alone won't work in the PL.

M8. Go knock one out or something. I find it somewhat ironic that Schards thinks I'm angry when there's blokes like you around. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a shit what Adkins is going to do with the players. I'm somewhat humbled by your precise analysis of Brian though. Signficant failings? You fucking idiots make me laugh on a daily basis. You, more than most. Really, why aren't you managing a team in the Premiership. It's a mystery to me.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 06 Apr 2013 20:14

QUOTE Partly because I'm not enjoying the games these days. 15 years on and I still don't like the "new" stadium. There's never been an atmosphere that could touch Elm Park on a night game. OK. The Wigan playoff game and West Brom, this season, were good but still nothing like the intensity and feral atmosphere Elm Park could generate.

Anyway, I digress. A large part of thinking about not renewing is that I don't feel the same about the "club" these days. For me, it's gone from football to big business. I'm aware that's not a shattering insight but it's one that saddens me. I'm disgusted with the way "my" club treated Brian McDermott. QUOTE

I'm more or less with PH on this bit. Like him I've endured a few relegations and without analysing it too much this feels about the worst - simply because a) there's never been much hope b) most of the games have been shit and c) there doesn't seem to be any soul about the club right now.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 06 Apr 2013 20:15

leon
Ian Herring
Tommy Youlden's Ears That was grim and depressing. I might muster further comment later, but really, what's the point...

I second this.

Pluses:

Spring.

ESB.

I'm not getting this we are progressing nonsense. other than first twenty minutes we were spineless.

I agree.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Apr 2013 20:15

see you at the rec next season para?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Apr 2013 20:22

Fox Talbot QUOTE Partly because I'm not enjoying the games these days. 15 years on and I still don't like the "new" stadium. There's never been an atmosphere that could touch Elm Park on a night game. OK. The Wigan playoff game and West Brom, this season, were good but still nothing like the intensity and feral atmosphere Elm Park could generate.

Anyway, I digress. A large part of thinking about not renewing is that I don't feel the same about the "club" these days. For me, it's gone from football to big business. I'm aware that's not a shattering insight but it's one that saddens me. I'm disgusted with the way "my" club treated Brian McDermott. QUOTE

I'm more or less with PH on this bit. Like him I've endured a few relegations and without analysing it too much this feels about the worst - simply because a) there's never been much hope b) most of the games have been shit and c) there doesn't seem to be any soul about the club right now.

Yep - I've seen us relegated more times than I care to remember, but I never felt it was a lost cause - the problem is we're promised all this "5 year plan", "expand the stadium" bollox and so we start to believe that we should be in a higher place than we deserve. We've been a good championship team for a fair few years now, a couple of times, we've exceeded expectations and gone higher - perhaps the board need to realise this or put their money where their mouth is - if they WANT us to succeed in a higher league, they have to be prepared to pay for it. If not, we're going to, at best, yo-yo between Champ and Prem and, at worst, be a good established Champ side. IMO.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 06 Apr 2013 20:25

McDermott was the club.

Now he has gone, there is nothing left.

The second half today was the worst I have seen since an away game at Cambridge at the end of the Burns era when they destroyed us.

Robson-Kanu was good at times. MacAnuff put a good shift in.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Apr 2013 20:28

Royal Lady
Fox Talbot QUOTE Partly because I'm not enjoying the games these days. 15 years on and I still don't like the "new" stadium. There's never been an atmosphere that could touch Elm Park on a night game. OK. The Wigan playoff game and West Brom, this season, were good but still nothing like the intensity and feral atmosphere Elm Park could generate.

Yep - I've seen us relegated more times than I care to remember, but I never felt it was a lost cause - the problem is we're promised all this "5 year plan", "expand the stadium" bollox and so we start to believe that we should be in a higher place than we deserve. We've been a good championship team for a fair few years now, a couple of times, we've exceeded expectations and gone higher - perhaps the board need to realise this or put their money where their mouth is - if they WANT us to succeed in a higher league, they have to be prepared to pay for it. If not, we're going to, at best, yo-yo between Champ and Prem and, at worst, be a good established Champ side. IMO.

There are clubs who have established themselves in the PL without investment beyond what Zingarevich is giving us. West Brom and Wigan stand out.
We need to expand the scouting network so we can find the bargains these clubs find. West Brom wouldn't have spent that amount of money on Blackman, for example.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 06 Apr 2013 20:29

frimmers3 see you at the rec next season para?

As usual frimmers, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Care to expand? I've seen Reading play at that monstrosity before. I somehow doubt we'll be playing you next season but I look forward to your strangulated reasoning nonetheless.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Apr 2013 20:43

West Stand Man
Za Vas
Westwood52 Hal 4 Embarrassing.

Harsh.

Not harsh. Simply wrong. He was not embarrassing.

What about when he hooked the ball behind the goal ;when trying to cross ?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Apr 2013 20:45

What was all the commotion at the top of Y25?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Apr 2013 20:47

peterroyal76
Westwood52 Personally I was shocked at the gulf in class today-apart from the first twenty minutes we made Soton look like Barcelona.There was absolutely no structure to our game and we looked if anything like a Division 1 team, let alone Championship. the lack of pride,professionalism and team spirit was very disappointing.

For what it's worth:

Federici 5 Should have done better for their first goal- caught like a rabbit in the headlights. Should have clattered the player-he wouldn't have been penalised as he was so close to the ball.Decision making has always been his problem.
Gunter 6 Got caught out a couple of times and those series of lobbed crosses rather driven ones in 2nd half really let him down.
Kelly 5 Never a left back in a million years-what was Adkins thinking of-didn't he look at the tapes of him there ?
Morrison 5 Not too bad, but was often caught out by the ball played behind him-showed his lack of experience.
Marriapa 5 Oh dear my player of the season had a mare in the first half-his confidence has been completely shot.
Akpan 4 Simply never in the game and once again his positioning was so often very poor,from Crawley to the Prem has just been too much for him.
Guthrie 7 Tried hard but I think he has given up.
Karacan 5 As usual worked hard , but he is just so weak in the tackle area and lacking in technique and power for this division.
Mc Anuff 6 Tried hard but he too has given up.
Alf 6 Missed a good chance in 1st half and then drifted out of the game big time.
Hal 4 Embarrassing.

Lwood 6 I have critisised him all season-but having seen Akpan start-Mc D had no alternative but to stick with him.
Mc Cleery 6 Not a Prem player.
Hunt 4 Out of his depth.

Federici would probably have been sent off, do you really think because the ball was near it wouldn't have been a foul?

Alf though Rodriguez had fouled Feds, if Feds had made his decision and went for the ball; then at worst it would have been 50/50 and Refs usually side with the Goalie-as it was Fed hung back and made it easy to score the goal.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 Apr 2013 20:51

LoyalRoyalFan What was all the commotion at the top of Y25?

Couple of Saints supporters, by the look of it, one an absolute twat.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Apr 2013 20:57

RoyalBlue
leon Spot on, Para. if we'd played like that under BM the residents of the team board would have imploded in a massive tantrum.

FFS how dumb do you have to be not to realise that the reason the team are playing the way they are is because they are McDermott's players and have had his 'style' of football drummed into them over the past couple of seasons?! :roll:

Adkins can't change the players in the squad (shame McDermott and Hammond wasted the last transfer window) and no one would be able to dramatically change the way they play, let alone turn them into quality players in less than two weeks. The mess we are currently witnessing is the work of McDermott. Just like when a new political party takes over in government, Atkins has a honeymoon period when the blame sits fairly and squarely with the previous incumbents.

McDermott's very significant failing was that he spent far too much time creating a 'united/great team' with 'really good characters' and nowhere near enough time ensuring that he had quality footballers playing decent football. Great teamwork got us out of the Championship with average players but that alone won't work in the PL.

Oh hello! It's one of the Team Board's resident willy wavers. You've clearly typed this out without even thinking/reading any of my posts in the last hour.

The performance today was spineless. As was last week's, I know because I was there and it was appalling. I hope Adkins can get us playing successful football. I am also aware that it will take time for him to impose his new methods/approach. However before he manages to do that I would rather hope, if it isn't too much, that he motivates the team to show some bollocks and actually PUT A FUCKING TACKLE IN.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 06 Apr 2013 20:59

To anyone writing off Adkins or blaming him for today's result, please shut the fcuk up because you don't have a clue. I think he chose to start ALF upfront on his own today because he wanted to give him the full 90 mins, like Pog got in the last game. I don't think ALF actually did any worse that Pog in that role, yes he is smaller but has a better touch and Pog doesn't actually win much in the air anyway. Isolated? Yes well done, and in case you haven't noticed, every Reading striker in every game this season has been pretty isolated. None of our strikers are suited to 4-5-1, so I'm hoping that we just stop playing it because it's not like its even getting us results. I would like to see a more attacking formation, seeing as we are already down why don't we have a good go and attack teams. I would rather watch us lose 4-2 than 2-0.

Feds let them have the first goal, and at first I was wondering why did he start? I thought it should have been McCarthy, but I think McCarthy will start the next game, because it looks as though Nige is giving everyone a chance, which is why we saw Gunter, Morrison and Akpan come in. Why did Akpan come off, was he injured? Leigertwood was his usual self when he came on, (crap). Karacan and McAnuff were also poor. I noticed there were a few times when Saints were passing it around us for fun, and when we finally won the ball back, did we look to play a pass on the ground and start a move of our own? No, we just hoofed it. We never look to play through the middle, or even play a through ball to the forward's feet, or for him to run onto. That, and the fact they aren't given anywhere near enough support, is why they are always so isolated. The sooner Adkins drills this shite out of them, the better. Good thing is by the time next season starts we might have seen the last of McDs tactics. The defence looked pretty poor too, Mariappa and Kelly slightly outdoing Gunter and Morrison for who played worse. A positive was Guthrie's performance, best I've seen him in ages. Shouldn't have been taken off IMO.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Apr 2013 21:01

Why this why that etc.

Brian's players.

He knows them best.

Poor old Nige can't get to know everyone in a week or so. Of course he's going to make decisions that seem odd to us. It's great for a new manager to have a fresh look at what we have though.

Brave to try without old shorey and rubbish old Harte.

Brave to try without legs (we actually looked far better without him)

Brave to start without Pog

Brave to try with Morrison not Pearce.

Some of those things may not be brave but just necessary if for example we will not be with Pog or Pearce next season.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy for us to be twatted 11-0 for every remaining game if it means Adkins will be able to experiment and learn from his players, ready for next season. RATHER than copy the tried tested and failed of Brian's with Brian's players and maybe, just maybe squeeze an amazing win or two for no particular reason.

This season is NOT about survival now it's about Nige getting to know the squad.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Apr 2013 21:02

If we want to try and stay up, we can't afford to "give everyone a chance" - there will be time for that in the pre-season friendlies. We're a professional football team ffs - not a bloody charity - he should pick the best starting 11 based on their performances during training imo.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Apr 2013 21:03

RoyallyFcuked To anyone writing off Adkins or blaming him for today's result, please shut the fcuk up because you don't have a clue. I think he chose to start ALF upfront on his own today because he wanted to give him the full 90 mins, like Pog got in the last game. I don't think ALF actually did any worse that Pog in that role....

Of course he didn't son and you really are the football expert.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 06 Apr 2013 21:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup Why this why that etc.

Brian's players.

He knows them best.

Poor old Nige can't get to know everyone in a week or so. Of course he's going to make decisions that seem odd to us. It's great for a new manager to have a fresh look at what we have though.

Brave to try without old shorey and rubbish old Harte.

Brave to try without legs (we actually looked far better without him)

Brave to start without Pog

Brave to try with Morrison not Pearce.

Some of those things may not be brave but just necessary if for example we will not be with Pog or Pearce next season.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy for us to be twatted 11-0 for every remaining game if it means Adkins will be able to experiment and learn from his players, ready for next season. RATHER than copy the tried tested and failed of Brian's with Brian's players and maybe, just maybe squeeze an amazing win or two for no particular reason.

This season is NOT about survival now it's about Nige getting to know the squad.

shhh you might upset the twat brothers . ie Brians love children.

224 posts