Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: On a positive note - Uche Ikpeazu

by toppy » 01 Jul 2013 19:38

winchester_royal Thick hair, straight teeth, chiseled jaw

Yeah, I have high hopes for this one :!:

Man crush or are you creating 2D :P

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Jul 2013 20:33

toppy

Man crush or are you creating 2D :P

*Boy crush

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jul 2013 20:41

Would've preferred Austin tbh.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 02 Jul 2013 00:05

Tilehurstsouthbank Gutted about this. Big Uche looked to have massive potential. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play in Watford's first team. They've lost nearly all of those players from last season due to the tightening of the loans from Europe rules.

Not quite - some will be coming back on permanent deals and we are likely to sign at least 4 on loan plus a couple of others.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 02 Jul 2013 00:35

Why did we actually let him go? I thought we were upgrading our academy, and protecting the quality within.

He obviously wasn't good enough if we're to believe what's been promised in that respect. But he looks so decent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-u_4lbRh8

Cypry

by Cypry » 02 Jul 2013 07:55

URZZ Why did we actually let him go? I thought we were upgrading our academy, and protecting the quality within.

He obviously wasn't good enough if we're to believe what's been promised in that respect. But he looks so decent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-u_4lbRh8

It's an academy, not a prison - if the player is tempted by the apparent offer of first team football elsewhere next season there's really not a lot we can do to stop him leaving, after all, he's highly unlikely to be anywhere near the first team with us.

Got to echo what some have said about him anyway - that goal above is indeed a cracking goal, but I've seen him in a few important games (not least the academy final at Fulham) and in all of those he's been pretty much anonymous against defences that can match him physically...

He may turn out to be "the one that got away", he could just as easily disappear in the back streets of Watford and never be heard of again...time will tell.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Jul 2013 09:51

Cypry It's an academy, not a prison.

Why's the academy known as Gulag then?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Jul 2013 10:12

Judge Drenthe

Is that a handbag next to him? :shock: :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2013 13:32

Can't believe some of the criticism towards the club for losing him that I'm reading on here.

The lad is nothing special from what I've seen of him and I can't see him getting close to our squad in the near future even if we stay at this level. The club are clearly aiming at higher level and so probably haven't offered him as good a package as Watford did.

Not at all bothered by this.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 02 Jul 2013 13:39

Hoop Blah Can't believe some of the criticism towards the club for losing him that I'm reading on here.

The lad is nothing special from what I've seen of him and I can't see him getting close to our squad in the near future even if we stay at this level. The club are clearly aiming at higher level and so probably haven't offered him as good a package as Watford did.

This.

If Uche had the belief he could get into our first team he would of stayed. He must know every year an academy steps up and is given the chance.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jul 2013 13:43

Really? Club loses the top Academy league scorer in the country after the Owner has proclaimed in two interviews that said Academy is "essential" and "crucial" to the clubs future success and that 6, 7 or 8 could make it and it's not perceived as even a slight mis-step.

I must admit I wasn't that impressed from what I saw of him but it's still brings a strange focus on the club when they lose a young player after he's had such a successful season.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 02 Jul 2013 13:46

Hoop Blah Can't believe some of the criticism towards the club for losing him that I'm reading on here.

let be honest - if he was that good at 18 he'd be in or around the first team squad now. If he's good enough he will play. not good enough, so thanks for getting the academy recognition, and I hope you have a successful career. Lets move on

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Jul 2013 13:47

+1 /thread.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 02 Jul 2013 13:52

@boyhunt
@UcheIkpeazu I go away for a few weeks and come back to ur news!! I love saying I told ya so! Good things happen to good people & players! X

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jul 2013 13:55

SPARTA @boyhunt
@UcheIkpeazu I go away for a few weeks and come back to ur news!! I love saying I told ya so! Good things happen to good people & players! X

Has no one told these two that they were "rubbish anyway" and they're "no big loss"?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Jul 2013 14:10

sandman Really? Club loses the top Academy league scorer in the country after the Owner has proclaimed in two interviews that said Academy is "essential" and "crucial" to the clubs future success and that 6, 7 or 8 could make it and it's not perceived as even a slight mis-step.

I must admit I wasn't that impressed from what I saw of him but it's still brings a strange focus on the club when they lose a young player after he's had such a successful season.

We obviously didn't see him as a first team contender yet whereas Watford do. Therefore no surprise that he left us to join them. We aren't just suddenly going to change our opinion on him just because another club can offer him a higher squad status.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Jul 2013 14:22

sandman
SPARTA @boyhunt

Has no one told these two that they were "rubbish anyway" and they're "no big loss"?

So McDermott kept picking a rubbish player? :shock:

Don't know about Uche but Hunt will show some on here wrongly underrated him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jul 2013 14:26

Wycombe Royal
sandman Really? Club loses the top Academy league scorer in the country after the Owner has proclaimed in two interviews that said Academy is "essential" and "crucial" to the clubs future success and that 6, 7 or 8 could make it and it's not perceived as even a slight mis-step.

We obviously didn't see him as a first team contender yet whereas Watford do. Therefore no surprise that he left us to join them. We aren't just suddenly going to change our opinion on him just because another club can offer him a higher squad status.

And that's all well and good but the perception from the outside when you lose a young player who scored 28 goals for your academy to a club in the same division is not going to be quite as simple as your view. If, for instance, this had happened a couple of months ago and the lad from Hull saw something like that happen maybe he would have thought differently about moving away from his home to sign for Reading.

And no RB but nice try.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 02 Jul 2013 14:59

I don't ever remember saying he was rubbish, but the fact remains that those who saw him last year say he was extremely effective at scoring goals against teams he could physically dominate but was nowhere near as effective against teams that had equivalent physicality. If the coaches saw no progression in his performance in this respect, it was likely that he would have been offered terms that reflected his need to develop further. He was NOT released, he chose to go to a different club that may have offered him an opportunity to be closer to the first team set up than us, and maybe there was additional wages, bonuses etc? There is no certainty that he would be the real deal, remember Neville Roach anyone? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Roach I remember when he was the next big thing. As I understand it Ikpeazu was not released. He did not like the terms offered and signed elsewhere. I am not sure what you want the club to do? If Samuel is good enough for the first team squad and receives terms on that basis, then why should anyone who is not be offered the same?

I am really not that sure how the release of Noel Hunt relates to the Ikpeazu situation, other than being an opportunity to vent a little spleen at the club hierachy. If the manager believes a player will not fit in with the way he wants the team to play, that is his decision. Why would Adkins sanction the offering of a 2 year contract if he is not sure if he wants the player to stay (the fact that a year was offered seems to suggest this). I am not sure if letting Hunt leave was a good idea, I guess time will tell. I liked Noel Hunt, but seriously some of you are losing the plot a little.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 02 Jul 2013 15:57

:lol:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Lady Killer.

260 posts