REFWATCH: Reading v Liverpool

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: REFWATCH: Reading v Liverpool

by RoyalBlue » 14 Apr 2013 10:50

If you still hate Futcher I think that Mr Clattenburg is the best ref in the English game, always seems to keep good control whilst allowing the game to flow and doesn't tend to bend to the influence of the bigger teams. You just have to look back to how he handled the ridiculous claims of racism from the obviously thick J-O Mikele to see the guy has a lot of integrity.

I'm sure there was one point in the first half where he played advantage but McCarthy kicked the ball back to where the incident was so he had to give the free kick.

However I've been a bit disappointed with the other referees in the supposed elite group who have been very poor and only to keen to pander to the wants of the pampered prima donnas of the Premiership

Agreed but the tossers who run the game will probably now ban Clattenburg for forgetting his cards!

I can't help thinking back to some of our characters of the past and how they might have reacted in that situation. I suspect Friday or Horrix would probably have gone off and hidden behind another player, only to come out laughing after a while.

Talking about players having a laugh on the pitch, there was also this incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E1tNSBdu_g

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 14 Apr 2013 10:56

Royalee Not normally a fan and I don't normally hand out praise to refs, but I thought he refereed the game excellently today - tried to let it flow whenever possible and you didn't really notice he was there (amusing card incident aside). 10/10

i agree with this, i think he was excellent with his decisions and how he managed the players

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Apr 2013 11:00

I have never liked him-but I thought that was the best refereeing performance I have seen at the Mad Stad all season.

He did have one very bad moment (apart from the missing cards)-with the clear shirt back in the 2nd half from which Liverpool nearly scored-but apart from that he was pretty good-perhaps it was just one of those easy games.

On the other hand the East stand lino was really bad-he missed about four offsides and a corner.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Apr 2013 11:03

St. Brynjar Gave a few correct freekicks Liverpool's way when we won the ball cleanly but going through the player but most notably the one on the edge of our area that Suarez spurned. Used the advantage rule well.

HTH

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 Apr 2013 11:15

Royalee Not normally a fan and I don't normally hand out praise to refs, but I thought he refereed the game excellently today - tried to let it flow whenever possible and you didn't really notice he was there (amusing card incident aside). 10/10

Apart form the penalty shout in the 2nd half on Jobi (not the one right at the end) I would agree. A very well run game.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 14 Apr 2013 18:45

About the best reffing performance I've seen for a long time. Had a smile on his face pretty much the whole game, played advantage well and only carded when it was merited (although Hunty can count himself lucky).