Were we spoilt in 2007?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Were we spoilt in 2007?

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Apr 2013 22:56

Yep we certainly are weaker!

Our team now is weaker than it was when we lost the PO final IMO. That speaks volumes really. Brian has plugged gaps rather than transforming the squad properly and its ultimately cost us - so much so that the team needs a huge overhaul under Adkins.

Not getting into a debate about the money side of it but our transfer dealings have in the main not been great. We'd have done better buying 1-2 top signings rather than 4-5 lets see what happens signings.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Apr 2013 10:32

but we needed:

a striker - with prem experience and goals
a winger to back up kebe
two full backs- hopefully better than cummings/harte
a CM who could pass the ball and had some prem experience
and a CB to back up replace pearce/hunt who could cope in the prem

if wed got two quality players in two of those positions, wed have been oxf*rd everywhere else

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Apr 2013 12:24

We were fukked from the start unfortunately. It's just a shame really. Oh well, on to the Championship!

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 23 Apr 2013 16:00

And who is the " we " that f*****d up ?
I did my bit.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Apr 2013 16:02

tbf i thought youve been shit al season

Waylenstreet

by Waylenstreet » 23 Apr 2013 16:02

MmmMonsterMunch Yep we certainly are weaker!

Our team now is weaker than it was when we lost the PO final IMO. That speaks volumes really. Brian has plugged gaps rather than transforming the squad properly and its ultimately cost us - so much so that the team needs a huge overhaul under Adkins.

Not getting into a debate about the money side of it but our transfer dealings have in the main not been great. We'd have done better buying 1-2 top signings rather than 4-5 lets see what happens signings.

But we really cant have this discussion without going into the money side of it.
We might regret that the Premier is now unplayable without a huge amount of dosh..but its a fact.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2013 17:50

creative_username_1 How is strength/weakness of a football league measured?

baseless opinion usually.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Apr 2013 19:39

Winchester Royal I think its only Sidwell, Shorey and Long that have continued to play regularly in that league, although I could be forgetting some.

Doyle has played more regularly than Sidwell or Shorey prior to Wolves' relegation.
Hunt (who like Long wasn't a first teamer in that side) won POTS at Hull, made a big money move to Wolves and played fairly regularly.
Hahnemann was first choice for Wolves for about a year, making 40 league appearances.

Of the remainder of the squad, several were well into their thirties by the time we were relegated (Murty, Little, Ívar, Bryn, Makin) or suffered major injury setbacks (Convey, Sonko, Kitson). That leaves Harper, Oster and Lita.

MmmMonsterMunch Our team now is weaker than it was when we lost the PO final IMO.

I think that's quite clearly wrong.

Federici is better now, as is McCarthy.
Kelly and Gunter are better than Griffin and Harte were.
Pearce and Mariappa are better than Mills and Zurab were.
Karacan has arguably gone backwards (thanks to some major injuries), but McAnuff has arguably improved, Kebe has got even better and Leigertwood is as good as ever. We've added Guthrie.
Hunt is no worse.
Pogrebnyak and Le Fondre are as good or better than Long.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Apr 2013 23:03

Ok let me re-phrase!

The team that had Bertrand, Sig & Long was better than what we have now 1000000%. I would be very surprised if people felt otherwise TBH.

We've gotten worse every season since IMO but somehow won the league.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 24 Apr 2013 00:10

No we weren't.

We were oxf*rd by those oxf*rd Pompey + their weakened squad the year after too.

For oxf*rd sake let's try and have a bit of ambition, else we may as well have reappointed Terry the Taxi

(No offence mate!)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Apr 2013 00:20

Defensively the current squad is a shadow of the 2007 one. Next seasons aim number one . Has to rebuild this.

We also need pace in the full back positions to help create more opportunities.

Our possession stats this season must be truly shocking.

I remember the last game of the 2007 season when we beat Derby 4-0. That's a mirror image of Reading this season.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 24 Apr 2013 00:33

SCIAG
Winchester Royal I think its only Sidwell, Shorey and Long that have continued to play regularly in that league, although I could be forgetting some.

Doyle has played more regularly than Sidwell or Shorey prior to Wolves' relegation.
Hunt (who like Long wasn't a first teamer in that side) won POTS at Hull, made a big money move to Wolves and played fairly regularly.
Hahnemann was first choice for Wolves for about a year, making 40 league appearances.

Of the remainder of the squad, several were well into their thirties by the time we were relegated (Murty, Little, Ívar, Bryn, Makin) or suffered major injury setbacks (Convey, Sonko, Kitson). That leaves Harper, Oster and Lita.

MmmMonsterMunch Our team now is weaker than it was when we lost the PO final IMO.

I think that's quite clearly wrong.

Federici is better now, as is McCarthy.
Kelly and Gunter are better than Griffin and Harte were.
Pearce and Mariappa are better than Mills and Zurab were.
Karacan has arguably gone backwards (thanks to some major injuries), but McAnuff has arguably improved, Kebe has got even better and Leigertwood is as good as ever. We've added Guthrie.
Hunt is no worse.
Pogrebnyak and Le Fondre are as good or better than Long.

For me Mills & Zurab > Pearce & Mariappa, Leigertwood is a shadow of the beast he once was, McAnuff has regressed slightly (pre-captaincy he was often unplayable), Long is better than any striker we've had since.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 24 Apr 2013 07:26

As I've said elsewhere, I'd much rather have the team that ended the 2009/10 season then we have now. However as others have said, perhaps that squad was weaker.