RFC ladies to join revamped Women's Superleague from 2014

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RFC ladies to join revamped Women's Superleague from 201

by genome » 25 Nov 2013 13:21

"Come on, give her a break... she's never been in such a huge and unusual kitchen before" :lol:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Feb 2014 13:22

For anyone who has a passing interest in the Women's side, Maff has put together a full preview of the team ahead of the new season on The Tilehurst End.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... the-ladies

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2014 21:13

Wimb For anyone who has a passing interest in the Women's side, Maff has put together a full preview of the team ahead of the new season on The Tilehurst End.

Nice feature.

However, whilst Reading FC Women's WSL2 Development team are playing at Barlows Park, Tadley, I thought that the first team were going to play their home games at Thatcham Town?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Feb 2014 21:26

RoyalBlue
Wimb For anyone who has a passing interest in the Women's side, Maff has put together a full preview of the team ahead of the new season on The Tilehurst End.

Nice feature.

However, whilst Reading FC Women's WSL2 Development team are playing at Barlows Park, Tadley, I thought that the first team were going to play their home games at Thatcham Town?

Cheers RB!

Shall put that to the author.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 13 Feb 2014 15:44

reading_fan Something about womens footall
Shouldn't this be on other sport?

On a serious note - I've never noticed anything to do with womens football on the Reading FC website, twitter or facebook, The only mention I get is when the team turns up and half time with a trophy or something during one of the mens games.... Do the club actually run the team?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Feb 2014 15:57

Royal Biscuitman

On a serious note - I've never noticed anything to do with womens football on the Reading FC website, twitter or facebook, The only mention I get is when the team turns up and half time with a trophy or something during one of the mens games.... Do the club actually run the team?

Seem to be a bit of a Reading FC QUANGO, play in the same kits and under the same umbrella but left to their own devices.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 13 Feb 2014 16:18

Similar to the ill fated Reading FC fans team. Which wasn't really part of "The Team" either.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Feb 2014 17:36

Royal Biscuitman

No it shouldn't be on other sport - if you don't want to read it then don't click to open up the thread!

And you clearly don't bother to look around the Official Reading FC Website very much. If you had bothered to click on the 'Team' tab you would have found have found that the Ladies Team is listed there. As well as a complete section on the team, including player profiles and reports on matches. The site also runs quite a few news features on the Ladies Team.

And surely the fact that the team turns up with trophies during one of the mens games tells you that they are pretty damn successful.

And yes, the club finance the team and club employees run the team. The team management also have office premises at the stadium.

Wimb
Royal Biscuitman

Seem to be a bit of a Reading FC QUANGO, play in the same kits and under the same umbrella but left to their own devices.

Completely wrong assessment of the true situation I am afraid Wimb. It is not a QUANGO. The set up is an integral part of the main club in the same way that the male academy is. I do not believe that the women's team would have been selected to join WSL2 but for the fact that they are an integral part of Reading FC.

Readingfanman Similar to the ill fated Reading FC fans team. Which wasn't really part of "The Team" either.

First part of that statement is complete nonsense. See above.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Feb 2014 18:06

Other than if your daughter ,sister or mother is playing does anybody really enjoy watching women's football?
My daughter has always played netball at a decent level but I don't think I would be that interested if she weren't playing and I feel that the same would have applied if she had played football.
One thing that has always stayed in my mind is her saying (when watching Reading) that the strikers don't do very much to lose their marker whereas the shooter in netball is always looking to find just that little bit of space.

Good luck to the RFC Ladies and Liverpool Ladies have shown how much progress can be made when fully integrated with the club.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Feb 2014 18:56

Victor Meldrew Other than if your daughter ,sister or mother is playing does anybody really enjoy watching women's football?
My daughter has always played netball at a decent level but I don't think I would be that interested if she weren't playing and I feel that the same would have applied if she had played football.
One thing that has always stayed in my mind is her saying (when watching Reading) that the strikers don't do very much to lose their marker whereas the shooter in netball is always looking to find just that little bit of space.

Good luck to the RFC Ladies and Liverpool Ladies have shown how much progress can be made when fully integrated with the club.

Well the answer is yes, my daughter plays football at a pretty high level and, of course, I love watching games that she is playing in. However, I also like watching the current Reading FC Ladies Teams. They have a squad packed full of some of the best players in the region, who play very attractive, fast, free flowing, passing football and score lots of goals. If you want to see how a decent striker loses markers (and the plural is intended) watch Fran Kirby. There is a very good reason why she has been selected for the England U23s and I don't think it will be long before she is firmly in the reckoning for the senior team.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Feb 2014 21:50

OK Just to prove once and for all that the Reading FC Ladies team is an integral part of Reading FC, their first WSL2 game is now being played at the Mad Stad.

Wednesday 16th April 2014.

As tweeted by Reading FC themselves.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 16 Feb 2014 09:44

Fair play RB, my QUANGO point was more that they just don't seem to get the same push from the powers that be at Reading. However if they're getting that support in terms of finance, facilities and what not then it's good to see :)

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Feb 2014 13:30

I don't always agree with Royal Blue, but I completely back him in this thread. I probably used to have more interest in the women's team back in the late 90s (though I have had intermittent interest in recent years too), when had I lived closer I was tempted to go to a game, but if we're now in WSL2 and playing games at the Mad Stad i'll take more interest again.

One thing that interests me, i'm sure that women's team in the late 90s had a different name, so have they only been associated with the club in the last decade or so? Where have they been playing their games? IIRC it was somewhere by the river in the past but is that still the case now?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Feb 2014 09:53

They've announced they'll be playing at Farnborough's Paddy Power Park

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/farn ... ing-29098/?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Feb 2014 12:23

RoyalBlue OK Just to prove once and for all that the Reading FC Ladies team is an integral part of Reading FC

Why do you think it is 'an integral part' of the club? Not a rhetorical question, just keen on the explanation. I can see how having a ladies team is good PR for attracting more women to RFC men's games.

I'd wager that if you asked 100 Reading FC supporters what they thought of RFC Ladies, 95 of them would shrug their shoulders. The club exists because paying spectators choose to watch the matches. Be interesting to see how the Ladies FC pulls their weight in this respect.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Jul 2014 14:35

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 11 Jul 2014 14:40

So the women's team won't be relegated from the second tier of football and will finish no lower than 10th.... on that basis they may finish the season in a better position than the men's team.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 11 Jul 2014 15:07

Royal Biscuitman So the women's team won't be relegated from the second tier of football and will finish no lower than 10th.... on that basis they may finish the season in a better position than the men's team.

:?

royallad

by royallad » 13 Jul 2014 21:49

Reading v Watford
Watford were awarded the three points for this fixture after Reading were disqualified for fielding an ineligible player in their 8-1 win against London Bees.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 14 Jul 2014 14:47

ah for oxf*rd's sake, thought we were looking good in that.