Back from the game - Fulham Away

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Fulham Awa

by St. Brynjar » 04 May 2013 22:56

Ian Royal We looked like the team we could have been all season with the right mix of players picked, tactics and luck. That was the best display of football I've seen from us since Coppell as well. That's not meant as a slur on McDermott's performance prior to this season, it's more an asthetic thing compared to that. McDermott produced a relentless, ruthless winning machine at Championship level. But today was actually pretty to watch as well as fairly effective.

I was toying with going to this game a week or so ago and I decided to save my money for next season and other things. Egg all over my face right now. I thought we might be in for a better performance with a team looking to prove their worth after the crushing weight of impending relegation was lifted. They looked nervy against QPR and I thought they resorted to a directer game under the pressure of it being the absolute must win game. Today they looked relaxed and like they were enjoying themselves for the first time in absolutely ages. And it showed in the performance.

McCarthy - 8 some great saves and kept us in the game and ahead during the first half.
Gunter - 7 got forward really well and allowed HRK / McAnuff / McCleary to tuck in and support Pog.
Kelly - 6.5 did ok, could have given away a penalty.
Mariappa - 7.5 solid as usual
Morro - 7.5 good game
Karacan - 9 MotM looked a different player was all over the place, scored, an assist and great passing
Guthrie - 7.5 worked hard and passed well. Great to see a partnership that works
McAnuff - 7.5 interchanged really well with McCleary and HRK
McCleary - 6.5 Pacey and dangerous but I thought he was too greedy on a number of occasions when he could have release the ball to someone better placed.
HRK - 9 unlucky not to be MotM could have had another penalty, could have had a hat-trick if played in by McCleary at least once
Pog - 7.5 led the line well, should have scored.

ALF - 7.5 looked sharp and seemed to show what he can do in a team that can actually pass and move
Blackman - n/a didn't really notice him
Carrico - n/a likewise.

Adkins - 11
Fans - 9 loud and clear in a fair few patches. Glad to see those who went finally got a bit of reward.

I am fooking exstatic right now. There's a lot of work to do yet, but that promised a whole lot of good for next season.

Great post

Turnball ACs

Re: Back from the game - Fulham Away

by Turnball ACs » 04 May 2013 23:09

Wonderful to actually win a game. Why now get the result and not before?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 04 May 2013 23:10

I love how our fans find a way to complain when we win.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 04 May 2013 23:25

Poor from Mariappa for their second goal.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 May 2013 23:28

Turnball ACs Wonderful to actually win a game. Why now get the result and not before?

Pressure.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 04 May 2013 23:29

All the arguments about the "improvement" yes it was only Fulham, who have nothing to play for, yes we are relegated so maybe a nothing match, but its the manner of improvement that shines out, passing, passing success percentage, attempts on goal let alone the ones on target, something we could have only dreamt about under McDermott.

Adkins has pulled this group of players together, given them the freedom to pass and look at the difference, with McDermott we were stale, one dimensional and pretty boring just spent our game giving the ball to the opposition.

As I have said before, Adkins was so the right man for the Reading managers seat, his management has been outstanding, and for one, I really look forward to next season, the lights are shining bright around what we can achieve with him at the helm.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 04 May 2013 23:29

just watched extended highlights, played well i thought, but alot of work needed on the defence

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 04 May 2013 23:43

Is it because Reading are already relegated that Hansen and Shearer could not be bothered to talk about aspects of Reading's game, deciding instead to mutter a little about Fulham before Lineker shepherded them on to the next game.

Fluff

by Fluff » 04 May 2013 23:46

Yep

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 May 2013 23:49

glass half full Is it because Reading are already relegated that Hansen and Shearer could not be bothered to talk about aspects of Reading's game, deciding instead to mutter a little about Fulham before Lineker shepherded them on to the next game.

Yep

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 05 May 2013 00:18

Karacan & McCarthy in team of the day on MOTD.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 05 May 2013 00:20

So, Automatic promotion next year and europe the following year, after one result, away to a team that had nothing to play for............Get Real.

philM

by philM » 05 May 2013 00:20

I'm guessing all this negativity is coming from those who weren't there.

It was a cracking day out and the best football we've played for a long long time. Fulham still have something to play for (not safe yet and still got Liverpool and Swansea) and we outplayed them. Great to see our intensity and passing accuracy. The team were playing for pride and they showed it.

The Eight Bells was a great warm up and our fans were immense today. Even though we are down, today was one of the highlights of the season.

I guess you had to be there.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 May 2013 00:38

Notwithstanding Fulham's end of season attitude to the match, I honestly thought Reading were outstanding today.

Moved the ball well, looked to move play up the pitch quickly through the phases and actually had a cutting edge for once.

Guthrie and Hal Robson-Kanu were very good indeed and I'd welcome more of the same if they're both here next year. Fulham were dreadful; very much a season over attitude.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2013 01:00

Unbelievable Jeff
Don't know if you think your being funny or something but how can a team with:

437 Passes
22 shots
60% possession
4 goals
3 Points

not be an improvement from the rest of the season. I really don't know what you are expecting. Cant ask for anything more than a good performance and 3 points, especially as it was away from home. I think your the one who needs to "get real"

22 shots today. Yet we've barely had a 100 on target all season until today. The lowest in the prem. Today was light relief from what was always going to be a predictable season.

Let's compare the stats again after the Man City game.

Esteban

by Esteban » 05 May 2013 08:04

I know you can't form an accurate opinion of a performance on strength of MOTD highlights, but they made it look like Fulham dicked on us and we were very lucky.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 05 May 2013 08:10

It's called pandering. Or if Brendy reads this Panda Ring.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 May 2013 08:21

Ian Royal
Unbelievable Jeff
MR. CYNICAL shut up mate and get real

Don't know if you think your being funny or something but how can a team with:

437 Passes
22 shots
60% possession
4 goals
3 Points

not be an improvement from the rest of the season. I really don't know what you are expecting. Cant ask for anything more than a good performance and 3 points, especially as it was away from home. I think your the one who needs to "get real"
It's alright, at least Mr Cynical would be delighted with a 0-6 defeat in a season where we've won promotion.

Walsall 86, Hurlock's debut. We really were shit that day.

Coppell always talked about carrying confidence through the post season. Since Adkins took over its all been about about prepating for next season. I don't care if Fulham were on the beach and our season is over, the players have proved to themselves that they can pass and retain the ball and they can actually compete. It's a positive end to a disastrous season and that bodes well for next season.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 05 May 2013 08:39

It's a long time since I have enjoyed an away day so much. Great atmosphere in the Eight Bells, everyone got behind the team and players responded with best performance away since Chelsea at beginning of season. Can't wait for next season.

jellytot

by jellytot » 05 May 2013 08:51

I am so happy. Nice to see us playing football. Shame it took us so long and a newmanager to work out that at pl level possession is vital. Confidence is flooding back into the squad and fans! Shame we do not have 5 more games left.

We just have to wait and see what happens in the summer. We need to hold onto our key.players amd bring in 3 or 4 with 7 heading out.

Feel like we can bounce back.