Who will be our main promotion rivals 2013-14

188 posts
liamobey

Re: Who will be our main promotion rivals next season?

by liamobey » 08 May 2014 10:13

bobby1413
Royalwaster
TheBaldOne Think Forest will have a good season next year, as well as Cardiff, Norwich (if they go down), Wigan (if they don't go up), think Reading will do well as well tbh if we can keep McCleary, Obita, Williams, Guthrie, and Gunter and add a decent forward and ball playing centre-back.

Think we'll scrape 107 points ...

Seriously hope not.

Would sound stupid singing "we've got the record, 107"

Hate to shiitt on your cornflakes but it sounds stupid now.

jellytot

by jellytot » 08 May 2014 10:50

Unless we get a new owner we will not keep any of the likes of Obita, Alf or McCleary. Even if we get in a new owner I cannot see us turning down a good offer from a low PL club for any of them. They will all want to move on with the possible exception of Obita who we may be able to negotiate a loan return for.

It is nice to read that Williams wants to stay he is important. However, I worry about him being another sick note (we have had plenty of those recently) we could do with Jem returning and staying fit too!

I think the 3 sides who fail to go up will challenge again (QPR's finances must look shocking) Forest are my tip for automatic promotion. I think Pearce will get them going. Not sure about Fulham, Norwich will probably be top 6. Cardiff is a question mark. I would not be surprised to see Wolves go close too. Sheff Wed may get going too.

I hope that we can finally start rebuilding.. forget challenging for a season or 2.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 08 May 2014 12:43

Royal Rother I've got some good stuff myself in here but this is particularly impressive from maffff. (His comment at the bottom....)

maffff
So who will be our biggest rivals next season? – Part One

<cut for brevity>

Personally I think they should be looking closer at Barnsley, Doncaster and Yeovil.

Why thank ya!

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 09 May 2014 10:31

Next season will be tough in the Championship, theres a lot of teams I can see challenging:

Fulham
Norwich
Cardiff
Wolves
Bournemouth
A couple of the playoff losers
Us if we keep some of the bulk (I.E Williams, Gunter, McCleary) & clear some of the high earners (I.E Drenthe, Guthrie)

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who will be our main promotion rivals 2013-14

by strap » 09 May 2014 13:29

Well seeing as we will sell McCarthy, McCleary, Obita, Williams, Guthrie, Gunter and ALF

and move on Pog, Drenthe and S Kelly for nothing, I think a lower mid-table finish will be more than acceptable and so we won;t have any promotion rivals next season.

(This assumes we get to keep Karacan, Hector, Pearce, Morrison, Federici, Robson-Kanu et al. If we don't, then Div 1 here we come!)

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 09 May 2014 17:15

If McCarthy Guthrie Williams McCleary Alf leave, along with the Pog & the waster that is Drenthe, and Adkins is given no budget to bring in any new players, then anything above 21st will be seen as over achieving.

It's really as depressing as that.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 May 2014 17:40

I have got a horrible feeling about next season but then the last time I had that we went on to get 106 points.

I just hope there is some good news soon, as since that promotion win against Forest there have not been many positives.

I have hated the last 2 seasons but then I think we have just finished 7th in the Championship, which isn't too shoddy.

When I was a kid I honestly never thought that I would get to see Reading play in the old 2nd division.

Sh*t I need to cheer myself up.

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 11 May 2014 09:20

Our biggest rivals will be ourselves. As ever.

188 posts