A bit smug but he's ours - do we love him yet?

134 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: A bit smug but he's ours - do we love him yet?

by Schards#2 » 13 Jun 2013 08:56

I don't think you can really love a manager until you know that love is reciprocated and he loves your club. With a manager who has previous with another club, that takes longer than with the likes of McGhee, Pardew and McDermott where Reading was their first managerial post.

Even with Coppell, you felt his first love was Palace and it took winning the league before we really ttok him to our hearts. Similarly, Adkins has a huge affinity with Southampton so, until he achieves something with Reading, he'll always feel like an employee rather than someone woven into the fabric of the club. That close knittedness and feeling of mutuality only comes with winning games and achievement but, as with Coppell, it can come.

I have been totally impressed with Adkins so far and his track record is outstanding, I believe it's possible he can become another managerial legend here starting next season. He's already shown what he's capable of in how the team is playing and, as far as we can tell, the players are on board. As for his media image, I couldn't care less. I'm quite happy for him to give nothing away in interviews, never get rattled by the likes of Dellor, or feel it necessary to respond to his questions such as "Tina from Tilehurs thinks we should play Morrisson up front because he wins lots of headers, what do you think?" Neither Dellor or any BBCRB listener is going to come up with a suggestion Adkins won't have thought of and dismissed, there's a reason why he's a sought after manager and we aren't.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Jun 2013 09:01

I love him, but I'm not in love with him.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Jun 2013 09:43

TBH I think I've only heard him speak once since he joined. Seems a bit like what my good mother would call "a wally" but I'm sure he'll do well given the amount of backing he's going to receive.

He's never going to be a top man like McDermott but i'm sure when we're successful next season that Reading fans will start chucking the word "legend" around.

PLus he's got hair like Simon off of The Inbetweeners only it's not done for a joke.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 13 Jun 2013 10:06

tbh atm I despise him. If he puts a couple of successful seasons together I may learn to merely h8 him and over time potentially even accept him.

teller

by teller » 13 Jun 2013 10:34

Schards#2 I don't think you can really love a manager until you know that love is reciprocated and he loves your club. With a manager who has previous with another club, that takes longer than with the likes of McGhee, Pardew and McDermott where Reading was their first managerial post.

Even with Coppell, you felt his first love was Palace and it took winning the league before we really ttok him to our hearts. Similarly, Adkins has a huge affinity with Southampton so, until he achieves something with Reading, he'll always feel like an employee rather than someone woven into the fabric of the club. That close knittedness and feeling of mutuality only comes with winning games and achievement but, as with Coppell, it can come.

I have been totally impressed with Adkins so far and his track record is outstanding, I believe it's possible he can become another managerial legend here starting next season. He's already shown what he's capable of in how the team is playing and, as far as we can tell, the players are on board. As for his media image, I couldn't care less. I'm quite happy for him to give nothing away in interviews, never get rattled by the likes of Dellor, or feel it necessary to respond to his questions such as "Tina from Tilehurs thinks we should play Morrisson up front because he wins lots of headers, what do you think?" Neither Dellor or any BBCRB listener is going to come up with a suggestion Adkins won't have thought of and dismissed, there's a reason why he's a sought after manager and we aren't.

All very true

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 13 Jun 2013 10:47

Maguire PLus he's got hair like Simon off of The Inbetweeners only it's not done for a joke.

THAT'S who he looks like! It's actually a bit uncanny.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2013 11:38

Avon Royal It's no surprise that some Reading fans struggle to tell the difference between confidence and smugness. His self-belief doesn't sit well with the small club mentality that we are trying to move on from.

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a forthcoming season.

+1, besides, how can you not love a man with a Tan like that?

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 13 Jun 2013 11:48

I love him and he comes across as someone who doesn't want this club to be known as "little Reading". The reality is that we are starting to leave behind the days of when everybody called us "little Reading".

The expectation levels are there and I think we should have a bit of self confidence in our team as fans, if we compete well in the Championship and storm the league, we are not punching above our weight, its because we are more than capable by a long shot. The same applies if we were to bounce back and compete well in the PL the next season.

I think we are only going to get stronger, I would like to think we could do something similar to what West Brom did when they finally stopped chopping and changing between the Championship and the PL.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Jun 2013 13:14

Pepe the Horseman I love him, but I'm not in love with him.

For me it's nothing more than a physical attraction. We just don't have that much in common.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Jun 2013 13:24

Extended-Phenotype

For me it's nothing more than a physical attraction. We just don't have that much in common.

I hear that. Just pure lust.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2013 13:35

Pepe the Horseman
Extended-Phenotype

I hear that. Just pure lust.

Rofl! :lol:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Jun 2013 14:13

winchester_royal
P!ssed Off Thought he was a smug git before he came to Reading, now he's come to Reading I generally try to avoid his interviews as the few I've listened to have been a bit cringe-worthy and I don't want to dislike a Reading manager.

If I listen to him in small doses then he is tolerable.

As for his love of cliches, this is football, if you want to have an illusion that there are intelligent people involved then avoid all the tv/radio/internet interviews of absolutely everyone involved.

Yes, because using cliches = unintelligent :!:

Well... Yes!

'At the end of the day' speaking almost exclusively in cliches indicates a significantly lacking vocabulary. It also might suggest that someone is unable to construct their own thoughts and can only parrot the widespread sayings and opinions of others.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Jun 2013 15:11

In a repeat of my promise to Nicky were he to sign Gylfi last summer....if Nigel can give us Drenthe I'll happily meat him at 1am in the Winchester public toilets

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Jun 2013 15:44

why do the english despise positivity so much?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Jun 2013 15:45

Schards#2 I don't think you can really love a manager until you know that love is reciprocated and he loves your club. With a manager who has previous with another club, that takes longer than with the likes of McGhee, Pardew and McDermott where Reading was their first managerial post.

i agree totally with schards

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Jun 2013 20:41

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Jun 2013 21:00

Extended-Phenotype

:lol:

He went up in my estimation last week when I came home to find he had written me a personal letter urging me to renew my season ticket.....only to find out subsequently he'd also written the same letter to several thousand others who are stalling on renewing. Fraud.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 Jun 2013 23:09

Tokyo Sex Whale I find all this talk of love a bit gay.

Man love is fine as long as you don't touch his cock.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Jun 2013 23:32

I really like him.

How can anyone not be happy with a management team that's achieved 4 promotions in 5 seasons?

Anton has done bloody well I say. Good lad.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Jun 2013 08:08

Love Reading, hate Adkins

And that's the way it's always going to be, for me.

134 posts