too confident?

138 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

too confident?

by paddy20 » 26 Jul 2013 17:38

Does anyone else feel that we are being too confident about this season?
Fact; We have appointed a manager who got sacked from his last job
Fact: we were very poor in the premiership last year
Fact; We were missing an experienced playmaker and a goalscorer - which we still dont have
Fact: Still missing two of our best players - Kebe and Roberts through injury
Fact: Most teams struggle when they get relegated to the championship
Fact: We haven't spent big again this season
Fact:We may still lose some of our best players

Dont want to sound pessimistic but just feel we may be getting over-confident. I do think Adkins is a good manager but he may need a couple of seasons to perfect the way we play. We will need the return of Kebe, Royston to prove a hit, Guthrie to become the midfielder we all want him to be, Macarthy to stay,Zingarevech to spend on a CF and for us to break the mould on teams that come down. Quite a few if's to go right. Just saying we shouldn't be too disappointed if we are not one of the best 4 teams in the division.

URZZZZZ

Re: too confident?

by URZZZZZ » 26 Jul 2013 17:46

Lol in regards to Fact 1. 99% of managers without a job were sacked, or obviously they would have a job still

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 26 Jul 2013 17:49

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Jul 2013 17:59

URZZZZZ Lol in regards to Fact 1. 99% of managers without a job were sacked, or obviously they would have a job still

Pardew, Coppell, Rogers, Macdee

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Jul 2013 18:01

paddy20
URZZZZZ Lol in regards to Fact 1. 99% of managers without a job were sacked, or obviously they would have a job still

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Percent

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Jul 2013 18:05

paddy20 Fact; We were missing an experienced playmaker and a goalscorer - which we still dont have

I like the fact your negative post has a double negative..it's attention to detail like this that makes all the difference...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jul 2013 18:07

paddy20 Does anyone else feel that we are being too confident about this season?
Fact; We were missing an experienced playmaker and a goalscorer - which we still dont have

Dont want to sound pessimistic but just feel we may be getting over-confident. I do think Adkins is a good manager but he may need a couple of seasons to perfect the way we play. We will need the return of Kebe, Royston to prove a hit, Guthrie to become the midfielder we all want him to be, Macarthy to stay,Zingarevech to spend on a CF and for us to break the mould on teams that come down. Quite a few if's to go right. Just saying we shouldn't be too disappointed if we are not one of the best 4 teams in the division.

How's it going at Napoli Rafa?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Jul 2013 18:14

paddy20 Does anyone else feel that we are being too confident about this season?

Proof that any moron can draw misguided conclusions by not fully understanding the 'facts'.

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 26 Jul 2013 18:28

Allow me to explain.

Fact: Who gives a damn if our manager got sacked from his last job?
Fact: We are now in the Championship, not the Premiership
Fact: We need one striker as cover and that's it, anything else is a bonus
Fact: Roberts our best player? :D :D :D :D :D
Fact: Just because some struggle doesn't mean we will
Fact: How many other Championship teams spend big? We have spent big, on wages
Fact: Anton and Adkins are in charge now, no we won't.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 26 Jul 2013 18:30

paddy20

There is the 0.1%. Most managers these days are sacked.

Gus Poyet
Mancini
John Hughes
Dean Saunders
Martin Ling
Danny Wilson
Martin O'Niel
Gary Smith
Paul Sturrock
Michael Appleton
Graeme Westly
Henning Berg

Do I really need to say anymore names???

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Jul 2013 18:33

CrispyRoyal

Allow me to explain.

Umm just the kind of optimism you must be congratulated for, but not necessarily accurate. Of course I hope you are right but life isnt always what we want it to be

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 26 Jul 2013 18:44

paddy20
CrispyRoyal

Allow me to explain.

Umm just the kind of optimism you must be congratulated for, but not necessarily accurate. Of course I hope you are right but life isnt always what we want it to be

That isn't optimism, that's the truth, the Championship is a chasm below the Premier League, the difference in quality is monumental, this squad is better than the one we had in the Premier League, we are playing in a much easier league with a better, more competent manager who plays better football than last season, and we have players that can cover for Kebe and to a lesser extent Roberts now, though we do need one more striker to complete the jigsaw.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Jul 2013 18:51

Royal Ginger

Proof that any moron can draw misguided conclusions by not fully understanding the 'facts'.

Methinks you use the term 'moron too readily" After all I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 Jul 2013 19:12

paddy20
Royal Ginger

Methinks you use the term 'moron too readily" After all I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire

Just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean you should.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Jul 2013 19:17

Fact; We have appointed a manager who got sacked from his last job (and?)
Fact: we were very poor in the premiership last year (that was last year)
Fact; We were missing an experienced playmaker and a goalscorer - which we still dont have (opinion not fact)
Fact: Still missing two of our best players - Kebe and Roberts through injury (non-factual: Kebe is scheduled to play this weekend)
Fact: Most teams struggle when they get relegated to the championship (again........and?)
Fact: We haven't spent big again this season (LOL! R U serious?)
Fact:We may still lose some of our best players (Fact: We may not lose any of our best players)

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jul 2013 19:17

Fact: It's Friday evening.
Fact: I have 8 cans of 1664 to drink.
Fact: I can watch a game of football at the Mad Stad tomorrow and I for one can't fooking wait.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Jul 2013 19:29

#Pray4Paddy

paddy20 can anyone please tell me how to shade the copy and paste when referring to another post
ta

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Jul 2013 19:35

I think we should be up there, but my biggest concern is the change of playing style.

I think it's the right thing to do, but it may take a while for us to be effective playing it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jul 2013 19:51

paddy20 Fact; We have appointed a manager who got sacked from his last job

Fact: The team he built survived the drop. :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jul 2013 20:52

I could point out that

Adkins won back to back promotions and his sacking was political rather than performance related and has a track record of overachieving whilst playing attractive football,

that we won this league 2 seasons ago with a weaker squad,

that Danny Guthrie was the playmaker in a team that won this league 3 seasons ago with over 100 points, that the Pog is an experienced international who was scored goals and won cups in Europe and that Le Fondre is one of the best natural goalscorers in this league,

that we have strength and experience in depth out wide and that we have characters in the squad capable of making as big an impact as Roberts did 18 months ago

that the likes of Newcastle and West Brom went straight back up by following a similar model of prudent and sensible management

that we have made 3 excellent signings for an outlay of only £2m

that whilst we may lose some of our best players, we will be in a position to sign replacements of equal ability.

or I could just cut to the chase and point out that you're 7 "Facts" are either complete conjecture on your part or totally irrelevant and therefore complete horse shit.

I do agree though that we should be wary of overconfidence.

138 posts