Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 13:08

Should we go down, which looks very unlikely this season, it's going to be weird being the big club everyone wants to go to and beat, but fears in L1, given how much we've grown since we were last there and the success we've had since.

Ipswich and Sunderland currently experiencing it.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Jan 2020 14:10

Snowflake Royal Should we go down, which looks very unlikely this season, it's going to be weird being the big club everyone wants to go to and beat, but fears in L1, given how much we've grown since we were last there and the success we've had since.

Ipswich and Sunderland currently experiencing it.

I don’t think we’ll go down this season either, but if we were to get relegated to League One I don’t think many of the existing League One clubs would consider us a big club and a big scalp in the same way Ipswich, Sunderland, or even Coventry City may be for some of the smaller traditionally lower league clubs.

This is a good thing, clubs wouldn’t be more up for playing Reading in the way there are possibly Ipswich or Sunderland this season, or Sheffield Weds and United, Forest, Norwich, Southampton or Leeds would have been in the last 20 years. I believe this factor has helped Wigan bounce back at the first attempt in recent years, as well as Bolton.

I hope it is a long time before we have to think about it seriously. What the last 20 years or so has changed is that anyone aged 30 or below will probably view Reading’s natural footballing pecking order to be the second tier of English football and not the third.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 14:21

With the current owners and Howe at the helm, we should only be looking up now. We've dodged a bullet for the past 5 years or so; we were largely only keeping our head above water aside from one freak season. But I think we've come out the other end.

Since I've been supporting the club (c.2000), I've seen us in the PL as much as L1. To fall back there and stagnate would be disastrous after all we've achieved in the past 20 years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 15:16

WestYorksRoyal With the current owners and Howe at the helm, we should only be looking up now. We've dodged a bullet for the past 5 years or so; we were largely only keeping our head above water aside from one freak season. But I think we've come out the other end.

Since I've been supporting the club (c.2000), I've seen us in the PL as much as L1. To fall back there and stagnate would be disastrous after all we've achieved in the past 20 years.

Blimey, not far off the same for me! 11th, 10th, 3rd and 2nd in tier 3. One PL season from being equal.

Missed a 5th season by one year, started in May '95.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 15:21

First great disappointment was Walsall in 01. Still can't believe we blew it like that in ET

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Jan 2020 15:41

Jagermesiter1871
Thick Forest Fan Yes, felt like a defeat, but would have taken that result at 3pm.

But really, even though our record there isn't good, I consider Reading a third division club playing above their natural level and expect a win every time we go there.

Just me I suppose.

Not a bad day out though.

:lol:

This suits us just fine doesn't it?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Jan 2020 16:04

At the end of the season we usually finish high in in the best clubs to visit league. No other club charges £20. For visiting fans yet they all want us to go down. Rather pay £39 at Leeds for a crap view :(

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2020 16:22

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal With the current owners and Howe at the helm, we should only be looking up now. We've dodged a bullet for the past 5 years or so; we were largely only keeping our head above water aside from one freak season. But I think we've come out the other end.

Blimey, not far off the same for me! 11th, 10th, 3rd and 2nd in tier 3. One PL season from being equal.

Missed a 5th season by one year, started in May '95.

Bloody newbie

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 16:38

"Of the 92 league clubs in this country the one I’d least like to support is Reading, everything about Reading is boring, boring team, boring fans, boring ground, boring town & boring county"

Here we go, always like these comments

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Jan 2020 16:47

Zip It is bizarre how much away fans hate us. No recognition that we offer the cheapest tickets for away fans. Twats.

Football fans are wnakers basically.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 17:02

URZZZZ "Of the 92 league clubs in this country the one I’d least like to support is Reading, everything about Reading is boring, boring team, boring fans, boring ground, boring town & boring county"

LOL, if there's one thing following Reading isn't, it's boring.

We've had precisely 2 finishes between 10th and 16th since 1994. Even expanding it to 8th to 18th it's 6 (not counting PL as that's still in the hunt for Europe or relegated).

LOL @ boring.

1 FA Cup Semi Final, 8th in the Premier League, 2 Premier League relegations, 3 FA Cup QFs. Two Championship Titles, one FL points record, one Championship Runners up, 3 Championship Play Off Finals, 5 Championship Play Off Semi Finals, one Championship relegation, one League One Title, one League One Runners up, 1 League One Play Off Finals.

Yawn.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 12 Jan 2020 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2020 17:08

To them, we’re Anywhere Town in Blandville County.

To us, we”re Anywhere Town in Blandville County.....but it’s ours

22 years ago the Madstad was breathtaking to any fan coming in from the lower leagues...it was to us too. Nowadays, it’s just seen as the blueprint for what is modern day football.

To those that remember EP and the state of 1970s and 1980s grounds like Brum, Gillingham, Grimsby, Aldershot and the likes, it still remains impressive.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jan 2020 17:49

WestYorksRoyal First great disappointment was Walsall in 01. Still can't believe we blew it like that in ET

That makes me feel old. My first great disappointment was seeing Kevin Bremner go to Brighton.

Having said that, in my first 5 years as a supporter, I saw 2 promotions, 1 title, a league record, our highest ever finishing position and a trip to Wembley and I genuinely thought it would never, ever get better than that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 18:29

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ "Of the 92 league clubs in this country the one I’d least like to support is Reading, everything about Reading is boring, boring team, boring fans, boring ground, boring town & boring county"

LOL, if there's one thing following Reading isn't, it's boring.

We've had precisely 2 finishes between 10th and 16th since 1994. Even expanding it to 8th to 18th it's 6 (not counting PL as that's still in the hunt for Europe or relegated).

LOL @ boring.

1 FA Cup Semi Final, 8th in the Premier League, 2 Premier League relegations, 3 FA Cup QFs. Two Championship Titles, one FL points record, one Championship Runners up, 3 Championship Play Off Finals, 5 Championship Play Off Semi Finals, one Championship relegation, one League One Title, one League One Runners up, 1 League One Play Off Finals.

Yawn.

Outside of football, it’s actually a half decent town too

Unlike Nottingham which is plagued with drugs, crime and poverty

And their stadium is like a morgue too so I always find their views ironic. Always preferred Derby to them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2020 20:18

With a bit of planning I think Reading would be a decent away day. Generally pretty easy to get to the town - loads of decent pubs there, the hop on the bus for 3pm

I’d have thought the away end would be pretty good as well - good views, good atmosphere when they sing

Can understand that Berkshire isn’t the most exciting place in the world though, and Reading does have a bit of a rep for being dull. Probably a little unfair tbh, I’m not sure it’s drastically different to most town/cities of similar size

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Jan 2020 20:39

Other than London and possibly Manchester/Liverpool every other City/Town in England is at best as exciting as Reading. Nottingham I would rate as similar but shittier.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2020 20:45

but with more affordable houses obvs

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Jan 2020 21:28

DiCaprio Ref was really shit, that we can all agree on.

I like the reading fan quoting the forest forum, which is now being quoted by a forest fan taken from a reading forum. Be interesting to see if they quote that and post it on their forum. Really makes you wonder if any of this is even real. Is this me talking now?

INCEPTION.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 21:38

Hound With a bit of planning I think Reading would be a decent away day. Generally pretty easy to get to the town - loads of decent pubs there, the hop on the bus for 3pm

I’d have thought the away end would be pretty good as well - good views, good atmosphere when they sing

Can understand that Berkshire isn’t the most exciting place in the world though, and Reading does have a bit of a rep for being dull. Probably a little unfair tbh, I’m not sure it’s drastically different to most town/cities of similar size

I think the travel aspect is a bit of a pain but whenever I’ve used the bus (albeit rarely) it’s been OK

And not sure about the Green Park development but hopefully that’ll improve the situation

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jan 2020 22:12

AthleticoSpizz but with more affordable houses obvs

Not by much they’re not.

Tried buying a house for sons who both went/are going to University of Nottingham. Not cheap at all.

4464 posts