4464 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Royalwaster » 19 Sep 2022 13:21

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Missed Hendricks chance live but saw the social media feedback etc and thought he's blazed over centrally with goal at his mercy - having seen it, that's not an easy chance - slightly wide of the goal with a defender flinging himself at you and keeper covering that side of the goal. The only way he scores there is by hitting the ball across himself, whilst it's moving at pace. A lot of strikers would struggle with that skill.

I don’t think he scores regardless, keeper well placed, and yes he's under pressure. But you really should force a save there.

Yep, have to hit the target. Play percentages, far more likely to get a subsequent chance either falling to one of our players or being put out for a corner.

Where does the term 'play percentages' come from? I kind of understand it, but not really sure what it means ...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2022 13:35

Royalwaster
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I don’t think he scores regardless, keeper well placed, and yes he's under pressure. But you really should force a save there.

Yep, have to hit the target. Play percentages, far more likely to get a subsequent chance either falling to one of our players or being put out for a corner.

Where does the term 'play percentages' come from? I kind of understand it, but not really sure what it means ...

Go for the easier thing with the higher chance of a positive outcome, even if that outcome is less good, rather than the harder thing with the small chance of of a positive outcome but where that is the best outcome.

It's basically the idea behind possession football. Play the easy pass backwards and sideways because you keep the ball and sooner or later you will make a high percentage good chance, rather than play the low percentage but risky pass that could get you a goal but probably turns over possession.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2022 15:56

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
CountryRoyal

Go for the easier thing with the higher chance of a positive outcome, even if that outcome is less good, rather than the harder thing with the small chance of of a positive outcome but where that is the best outcome.

It's basically the idea behind possession football. Play the easy pass backwards and sideways because you keep the ball and sooner or later you will make a high percentage good chance, rather than play the low percentage but risky pass that could get you a goal but probably turns over possession.

So Reading haven’t played possession football in quite a while then.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Sep 2022 17:59

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
CountryRoyal

The odd thing is that the long ball game was also about playing percentages, knowing there's a good chance of losing possession, but knowing if you gain possession, it'll probably be in a dangerous position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2022 19:22

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

The odd thing is that the long ball game was also about playing percentages, knowing there's a good chance of losing possession, but knowing if you gain possession, it'll probably be in a dangerous position.

Yep, it's like the reverse possession game.

Low success, low risk, high reward vs high success, low risk, low reward.

The failing of both is imposing a set pattern of play regardless of circumstance over a patter of play that determines what risk to go for based on circumstance. Which relies on smart players in good form.

Punt the ball up enough someone will make a mistake you can capitalise on vs retain the ball long enough and sooner or later the opposition will get so bored they gift you a mistake.

Both are oxf*rd awful football to watch.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Sep 2022 23:11

I found this on You Tube.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYLd_J40QAs

:D :D :D

Play "count the football cliches......."

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 03 Oct 2022 10:25

A friend of mine met a Huddersfield fan and his 8 year old son in town after the game on Saturday.

Apparently it was the kid's first away game and they came for a weekend stay for his birthday, and he was totally depressed by their lack of fight. My mate was never going to gloat but told the kid to remember this game when they're having some good times, and it'll be worth it. The reply from the youngster was 'yeah we might get into the play offs in League One next year'. Sounds like he's been going for years already!

The consensus among their support was apparently that we didn't look any great shakes, but didn't need to get out of first gear so they can't judge us based on that.

They're seriously worried about this season and not convinced by the new manager, but were impressed by TMac, T. Ince and NGW. The bloke reckons we're play-off contenders this year.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Oct 2022 11:23

JedMaxwell A friend of mine met a Huddersfield fan and his 8 year old son in town after the game on Saturday.

Apparently it was the kid's first away game and they came for a weekend stay for his birthday, and he was totally depressed by their lack of fight. My mate was never going to gloat but told the kid to remember this game when they're having some good times, and it'll be worth it. The reply from the youngster was 'yeah we might get into the play offs in League One next year'. Sounds like he's been going for years already!

The consensus among their support was apparently that we didn't look any great shakes, but didn't need to get out of first gear so they can't judge us based on that.

They're seriously worried about this season and not convinced by the new manager, but were impressed by TMac, T. Ince and NGW. The bloke reckons we're play-off contenders this year.

Seems to be a common theme from opposition supporters that we "aren't very good" which I can sort of see from their perspective as we don't blow teams away (bar Blackburn), but we seem to be an effective Championship side and are good at what we do, whereas people may expect a 3rd-placed team to be outplaying opposition, similar to that of Sheff United and Norwich. Personally, I'm not bothered providing we are getting points on the board and the sooner we reach that 50 point mark, the better.

Wouldn't put us down as play off contenders yet, but if we reach the World Cup break in and around where we are now then I'd certainly say we could be finishing somewhere near. I just wouldn't want us to be the "Huddersfield" next season, surpassing expectations only to fail miserably the season after which appears to be what they are doing at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2022 11:46

YorkshireRoyal99
JedMaxwell A friend of mine met a Huddersfield fan and his 8 year old son in town after the game on Saturday.

Seems to be a common theme from opposition supporters that we "aren't very good" which I can sort of see from their perspective as we don't blow teams away (bar Blackburn), but we seem to be an effective Championship side and are good at what we do, whereas people may expect a 3rd-placed team to be outplaying opposition, similar to that of Sheff United and Norwich. Personally, I'm not bothered providing we are getting points on the board and the sooner we reach that 50 point mark, the better.

Wouldn't put us down as play off contenders yet, but if we reach the World Cup break in and around where we are now then I'd certainly say we could be finishing somewhere near. I just wouldn't want us to be the "Huddersfield" next season, surpassing expectations only to fail miserably the season after which appears to be what they are doing at the moment.

Bit Lutonesque. Can't say they struck me as more than an average but well drilled side last season. Didn't stop them finishing nicely up the table though.

We've certainly got a few match winners though. Joao, Meite, Ince... all capable of a goal out of nothing and performances good enough for the PL when they're on it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2022 11:57

Assuming we are a champ club next year which is looking very much odds on currently, next year will be very interesting

I kind of like the siege mentality, hungry player, bare bones thing we have at the moment and think it’s feeding into the atmosphere and performances

Really don’t want us to just spaff a load of money on greedy players again and have expectations of being great like Stam season 2. In all my years of watching footy I think that was my least favourite season

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Oct 2022 12:12

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Bit Lutonesque. Can't say they struck me as more than an average but well drilled side last season. Didn't stop them finishing nicely up the table though.

We've certainly got a few match winners though. Joao, Meite, Ince... all capable of a goal out of nothing and performances good enough for the PL when they're on it.

Yeah I'm certainly not going to be complaining about it seen as I've only really watched 1/2 good seasons of football in the last 10 (Stam and Pauno) and both of them were eventually filled with disappointment. I wouldn't say I particularly "enjoyed" Stam's style, more the results.

We could potentially lose both Joao and Meite at the EOS though which would be an issue, but I'd more than confident based on what we've seen currently that we can replace both adequately as well, but I'd probably anticipate that Meite might stay on, not 100% sure on Joao but it would be in the balance anyway.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 03 Oct 2022 13:32

Hound Assuming we are a champ club next year which is looking very much odds on currently, next year will be very interesting

I kind of like the siege mentality, hungry player, bare bones thing we have at the moment and think it’s feeding into the atmosphere and performances

Really don’t want us to just spaff a load of money on greedy players again and have expectations of being great like Stam season 2. In all my years of watching footy I think that was my least favourite season

Couldn't agree more.

I think we set ourselves up a bit like Millwall limited but effective side. Horrible to watch - great to support.
Away supporters just dont see it that we nullify their threat and we have a bit of magic to open up the deadlocks.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 03 Oct 2022 14:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah I'm certainly not going to be complaining about it seen as I've only really watched 1/2 good seasons of football in the last 10 (Stam and Pauno) and both of them were eventually filled with disappointment. I wouldn't say I particularly "enjoyed" Stam's style, more the results.

We could potentially lose both Joao and Meite at the EOS though which would be an issue, but I'd more than confident based on what we've seen currently that we can replace both adequately as well, but I'd probably anticipate that Meite might stay on, not 100% sure on Joao but it would be in the balance anyway.

Really would like to see the back of Joao just not a team player no effort, I think he has already decided that he is too good for us! .Hopefully we might get a few quid for him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Oct 2022 14:59

karbota
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Bit Lutonesque. Can't say they struck me as more than an average but well drilled side last season. Didn't stop them finishing nicely up the table though.

Really would like to see the back of Joao just not a team player no effort, I think he has already decided that he is too good for us! .Hopefully we might get a few quid for him.

His contract is up at the end of the season - any money we'd have received for him we would have got in the summer I'd have imagined. Doesn't make much commercial sense for anyone to go and spend money on him in January, particularly not in the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2022 15:07

Don't encourage the racist imbecile. You'll only encourage him and he's got a long track record.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 03 Oct 2022 16:52

I'd be more worried about losing Meite than Joao at the moment. Joao is by far the better goal scorer, but the way the team is currently set up relies on effort and teamwork, and he's very patchy on that. Meite, on the other hand, seems to be someone who is good for general morale in the squad, and always puts in a lot of effort.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Oct 2022 23:01

Was reading one of the Norwich forums on the bus back to Mereoak. Their fans really do take first prize for most arrogant, self entitled pr*cks out there as a fanbase. Many are asking for Smith to be sacked, they wrote us off as lucky and said we were appalling and our players were "old". It did t cross their miniscule brains that we are under stringent FFP restrictions whilst they piss money up the wall with their parachute payments and prepare to stink the PRemier League out again.

Forum.pinkun.com

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2022 23:45

Old is odd. Practically half the starting XI were 25 or under, Lumley is 27, Joao 29, Ejaria 24, Mbengue 20.

Even the others are only 30, 30, 32, 33 and 33. Not exactly ancient.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2022 23:52

Ascotexgunner Was reading one of the Norwich forums on the bus back to Mereoak. Their fans really do take first prize for most arrogant, self entitled pr*cks out there as a fanbase. Many are asking for Smith to be sacked, they wrote us off as lucky and said we were appalling and our players were "old". It did t cross their miniscule brains that we are under stringent FFP restrictions whilst they piss money up the wall with their parachute payments and prepare to stink the PRemier League out again.

Forum.pinkun.com

I read the pinkun throughout the match and a fair few of them were saying that a point away to the team in 3rd was a good and fair result.

A few comments saying Hendrick ran the game and that Hoilett and Carroll gave their defence a torrid time.

Most of the comments about Smith were that he doesn't seem to have imposed a style or found a settled formation. There were maybe a handful suggesting he be sacked.

Not sure Norwich can be accused of pissing money up a wall either. They didnt exactly spend big last season and they've signed 4 players this, 3 on frees.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 04 Oct 2022 23:58, edited 2 times in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Oct 2022 23:57

Norwich are a well run club and haven't spent millions on signings. They're a club I hope we can emulate next time we get to the Premier League. Bounce up and down, balance the books and hopefully build a squad that stays up long term.

Amazed they want their manager sacked when they're 2nd in the league though.

4464 posts