Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Feb 2021 14:08

Eddie Howe will get offered much better jobs than Bristol City.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 17 Feb 2021 18:56

Norfolk Royal This really comes across as being crass as most football fans want a sensible summary and more exact commentary of the game as it happens from a radio station than some sort of Timmy Mallett experience.

Absolutely bang on.

Dellor trying to identify as a man of the people with his limited 'I play right back' experience which makes it appropriate for him to think that he can pass comment as opposed to simply getting the commentary correct.

Leave the pros - and Geordie does a decent job - to talk about what pros are thinking when they do something noteworthy.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 17 Feb 2021 19:03

Hound
Stranded Yep. Birmingham, Huddersfield and Coventry look the most likely to be joining Wycombe to me

Oooo, I hope so. Had a cheeky 90/1 before the season started on Wycombe and Huddersfield to go down and Norwich to go up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Feb 2021 19:28

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Norfolk Royal This really comes across as being crass as most football fans want a sensible summary and more exact commentary of the game as it happens from a radio station than some sort of Timmy Mallett experience.

Absolutely bang on.

Dellor trying to identify as a man of the people with his limited 'I play right back' experience which makes it appropriate for him to think that he can pass comment as opposed to simply getting the commentary correct.

Leave the pros - and Geordie does a decent job - to talk about what pros are thinking when they do something noteworthy.

Generally agree, although Geordie admits to being from another era and is beginning to show it with some of his comments. I thought Stephen Hunt was a lot more contemporary and insightful. I also like Blakey when he appears.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2021 22:12

Dick Habbin's hairdo

Absolutely bang on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Mar 2021 17:52

Owlstalk is a fun read.

3pm-3:28 "We could nick this"

3:29- "Game over. We're the worst team ever"

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Mar 2021 17:56

From Despair To Where? Owlstalk is a fun read.

3pm-3:28 "We could nick this"

3:29- "Game over. We're the worst team ever"

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Mar 2021 18:12

In fairness most were fairly pessimistic. Page 1, 10 hours before the game had a 3:0 with Joao to score prediction.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Mar 2021 18:17

That is true but it was like someone flicked a switch when we got the pen.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Mar 2021 06:41

From Despair To Where? That is true but it was like someone flicked a switch when we got the pen.

Confidence, or lack of. We've been on runs like them before where you look decent but then fall behind. At which point, you might as well go home.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Mar 2021 09:47

From Despair To Where? That is true but it was like someone flicked a switch when we got the pen.

Red card and pen ... well I think we'd have felt the same last few seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2021 10:19

The players will be aware they always lose when they go behind.

IMO, the difference between top and bottom teams in the Championship, bar a few out of place exceptions, is rarely much about quality, but all about mentality.

It's why you so often get odd results and bad teams sometimes look like worldbeaters. The teams at the bottom just have had the confidence and belief knocked out of them. They play with uncertainty and nerves. Whereas those at the top play instinctively and with confidence. Also a reason why you'll often see good teams doing well fall away and choke. Because their mental side can't take the pressure and the cramp up.

It's all about the story you tell in your head and how much you buy in. Why getting a good start in the PL vs a dodgy one can be the difference between midtable and relegation.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Mar 2021 11:22

Snowflake Royal The players will be aware they always lose when they go behind.

IMO, the difference between top and bottom teams in the Championship, bar a few out of place exceptions, is rarely much about quality, but all about mentality.

It's why you so often get odd results and bad teams sometimes look like worldbeaters. The teams at the bottom just have had the confidence and belief knocked out of them. They play with uncertainty and nerves. Whereas those at the top play instinctively and with confidence. Also a reason why you'll often see good teams doing well fall away and choke. Because their mental side can't take the pressure and the cramp up.

It's all about the story you tell in your head and how much you buy in. Why getting a good start in the PL vs a dodgy one can be the difference between midtable and relegation.

Agree to an extent but the reason the top 5 are the top 5 is because they have the best individual players who can turn games

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Mar 2021 08:53

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal The players will be aware they always lose when they go behind.

Agree to an extent but the reason the top 5 are the top 5 is because they have the best individual players who can turn games

Hmmm. That seems a simplification. Millwall, for example, have some great individuals at this level.

Manager, motivation, mentality and squad balance all spring to mind as important factors.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2021 09:25

Bournemouth as well have some brilliant players for this level.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Mar 2021 12:07

Can this thread start drifting back to what it should be about FFS.

No comments from SWFC forums about us because they are so angry about their own problems, as for Forest, the common theme is clear...

Of all the games coming up this is the only one I think is remotely winnable.

These aren't much better than us on current form so very optimisically I am going for a 2-0 win.

Weeks rest, send out your best team, I think we can get a result here.

Is this the most ‘winnable’ game during this short run of games? Probably.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Mar 2021 12:21

paultheroyal Can this thread start drifting back to what it should be about FFS.

No comments from SWFC forums about us because they are so angry about their own problems, as for Forest, the common theme is clear...

Of all the games coming up this is the only one I think is remotely winnable.

These aren't much better than us on current form so very optimisically I am going for a 2-0 win.

Weeks rest, send out your best team, I think we can get a result here.

Is this the most ‘winnable’ game during this short run of games? Probably.

Given that they are in the middle of a run of games that is Watford, Reading, Norwich, Brentford, Cardiff, it's difficult to see any issue with their view that this is their most 'winnable' game. Potentially Cardiff if they've looked that far forward.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2021 12:33

When you consider Norwich, Watford and Brentford have all lost 7 or fewer to our and Cardiff's 11, not far off. But we've won 18 to Cardiff's 15, so they're more likely to pick up points against Cardiff by a little.

On the other had, Brentford's form over the last 6 is far worse than any of the rest of us, worse than Forest's marginally. And our form is far superior to Forest's.

Assuming the site I checked was correct.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2021 12:46

Fair enough view to see our game as winnable being as our form is up and down like a yo-yo. Really depends on if we turn up and score first

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2021 13:03

Plus Cardiff is away, so they probably think they have a better chance of getting a win at home than away.

If we were on a similar run of games, I'd probably see the game on Saturday as the best chance of a win too.

4464 posts