Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 16:07

Sanguine
From Despair To Where? All very interesting but doesn't explain why Fulham fans were already acting like a bunch of entitled pricks 3 seasons ago when we beat them in the playoffs and they were coming out with the same shit about us being cheats and lucky and how they shouldn't be losing to teams like Reading.

What do you mean by 'Fulham fans' ?
Do you mean, like Mr O, a few you came across on internet forums?

As Nameless suggests, they are generally a good bunch (as are most fans, tbf) - maybe before next season's game (assuming we play each other) go in the Crabtree before the match and see how many entitled gobby pr*cks you find.

Football fans. Lol.

Don't need the sneer Sangers

just think, most opposition fans who look at the net probably judge us by that maffff clown on twitter. No wonder they don't think a lot of us

tbf though, there was a press article after the first play off game that was printed which spelt out exactly as FDTW mentioned, in the local GetReading equivalent

I'd imagine most of their fans are fairly similar to ours on the whole - its a middle class 'family' club on the whole. I used to wander down and watch a few games there when I lived local (and worked about 500m away from CC), and half the crowd seemed to be in suits having just come straight from work and fancied taking in a game, barely caring what the score was - as I was
Last edited by Hound on 03 Jan 2020 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2020 16:07

Sanguine
As Nameless suggests, they are generally a good bunch (as are most fans, tbf) - maybe before next season's game
(assuming we play each other)
go in the Crabtree before the match and see how many entitled gobby pr*cks you find.

We won't be. We are playing them in the Play-Off final...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2020 16:35

Hound
Sanguine
From Despair To Where? All very interesting but doesn't explain why Fulham fans were already acting like a bunch of entitled pricks 3 seasons ago when we beat them in the playoffs and they were coming out with the same shit about us being cheats and lucky and how they shouldn't be losing to teams like Reading.

What do you mean by 'Fulham fans' ?
Do you mean, like Mr O, a few you came across on internet forums?

As Nameless suggests, they are generally a good bunch (as are most fans, tbf) - maybe before next season's game (assuming we play each other) go in the Crabtree before the match and see how many entitled gobby pr*cks you find.

Football fans. Lol.

Don't need the sneer Sangers

just think, most opposition fans who look at the net probably judge us by that maffff clown on twitter. No wonder they don't think a lot of us

tbf though, there was a press article after the first play off game that was printed which spelt out exactly as FDTW mentioned, in the local GetReading equivalent

I'd imagine most of their fans are fairly similar to ours on the whole - its a middle class 'family' club on the whole. I used to wander down and watch a few games there when I lived local (and worked about 500m away from CC), and half the crowd seemed to be in suits having just come straight from work and fancied taking in a game, barely caring what the score was - as I was

I saw plenty of newspaper articles and TV reports where Fulham fans were expressing exactly those sort of sentiments.

In the same way that a lot of our fan base he grown up with us being a solid Championship team, a lot of their fans have grown up with them being a Premiership club, albeit one that ran up debts close to £160m under Fayed trying to stay there, and they do have a sense of entitlement.

Maybe it's just that I remember the days of standing on the crumbling open terrace of Craven Cottage watching Mick Conroy score for us when we were both hanging around the arse end of of Division 3 so I don't take all their Johnny Come Lately bollocks remotely seriously, and yes we do have a similar element to our fan base and I don't take them seriously either.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 03 Jan 2020 17:26

I was there too FDTW watching Conroy ballooning the ball over the bar, and the silky skills of Clive Flasher Walker and “big” Jim Stannard was as it good as it got for the Cottagers...remember those days well! That particular midweek game in the late 80s when, i am not sure why to this day, we took 3,000 there when mid table and hopeless, with the majority being well oiled. Think the Met Police crapped themselves due to the unexpected numbers and waded in nicking about 50 Reading fans that night, picking off youngsters and old boys from the sides of the terrace and nicking them for nothing other than their figures it seemed.

Maybe it is just the modern keyboard warriors that are the problem, face to face I am sure the older more long standing (suffering) Fulham supporters might be okay, although I am getting flashbacks like you to the older ones that were interviewed over the time of the play off games and they were prize plums. Again, maybe that is what an extended stay in the Greed league does for you....
Last edited by Mr Optimist on 03 Jan 2020 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 17:29

Jim Stannard :D

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2020 17:59

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews Nobody cries quite like the Fulham supporters do when we beat them, they really hate us and think we are some sort of rival. In truth I think we kind "nothing" them as a fanbase.

Where is Fulham anyway? Isn't it a small place near Chelsea? It's that bit you drive through when you get to central London IIRC.

To be fair, I'd rather Fulham thinking we're some sort of rival than Swindon/Oxford (or Aldershit).

Shows how far we have come when the likes of Fulham and You'veLetUsDownAgain hate us 8)

Don’t Fulham play in Chelsea and vice versa ?
Or have I fallen for one of the great urban myths ?
So not a small place NEAR Chelsea, but a small club IN Chelsea

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 19:40

Chelsea play in Fulham and Fulham play in Putney

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jan 2020 21:16

Hound Chelsea play in Fulham and Fulham play in Putney

And neither train anywhere near their names location

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 21:18

paultheroyal

Chelsea in posh Cobham and Fulham at Motspur park isn’t it?

Used to live very close to Motspur park and stumbled across their training ground - was pretty low key. Dunno if it’s better now

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jan 2020 21:23

Hound
paultheroyal

Chelsea in posh Cobham and Fulham at Motspur park isn’t it?

Used to live very close to Motspur park and stumbled across their training ground - was pretty low key. Dunno if it’s better now

Yeah my lad was there last year for 12 months. Decent setup and academy mixed in with first team. First team are moving to new site across the road in next few months.

Chelsea base makes me laugh where that is in relation to their ground.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Jan 2020 21:58

Snowball
Sanguine
As Nameless suggests, they are generally a good bunch (as are most fans, tbf) - maybe before next season's game
(assuming we play each other)
go in the Crabtree before the match and see how many entitled gobby pr*cks you find.

We won't be. We are playing them in the Play-Off final...

And I hope they use VAR and it fails and Moore punches the ball in for the winner and it's not spotted.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2020 22:22

Franchise FC
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews Nobody cries quite like the Fulham supporters do when we beat them, they really hate us and think we are some sort of rival. In truth I think we kind "nothing" them as a fanbase.

Where is Fulham anyway? Isn't it a small place near Chelsea? It's that bit you drive through when you get to central London IIRC.

To be fair, I'd rather Fulham thinking we're some sort of rival than Swindon/Oxford (or Aldershit).

Shows how far we have come when the likes of Fulham and You'veLetUsDownAgain hate us 8)

Don’t Fulham play in Chelsea and vice versa ?
Or have I fallen for one of the great urban myths ?
So not a small place NEAR Chelsea, but a small club IN Chelsea

Not trying to be funny. I genuinely don't know. I'm not trying to knock Fulham here I genuinely just thought it's a bit of London near Hammersmith you drive past on your way to central. It's a bit of a nowhere place really as far as I'm concerned.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2020 00:06

Pretty much this.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 04 Jan 2020 05:43

leon

Pretty much this.

Nah. Putney is on the other side of the river. Fulham is one of the few London clubs that play where the name suggests.

Fun fact, the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham once had three PL clubs, Chelsea, QPR and Fulham. Greedy.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2020 08:06

Fox Talbot
leon

Pretty much this.

Nah. Putney is on the other side of the river. Fulham is one of the few London clubs that play where the name suggests.

Fun fact, the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham once had three PL clubs, Chelsea, QPR and Fulham. Greedy.

QPR, Fulham and Chelsea all play in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham

Fulham and Chelsea both play in the area known as Fulham while QPR play in the area known as Shepherd’s Bush

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2020 10:38

Sutekh
Fox Talbot
leon
Pretty much this.

QPR, Fulham and Chelsea all play in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham

Fulham and Chelsea both play in the area known as Fulham while QPR play in the area known as Shepherd’s Bush

Fulham play a stones throw from Putney East station. Yes North bank of Thames.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2020 10:39

But they’re all wnakers anyway.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 04 Jan 2020 11:27

Most people do not understand how they interpret information. It’s a common mistake to believe we perceive the outside world and make accurate judgements on the basis of those perceptions. Actually what we do is scan for a few stand-out elements, then match those to a form of template we already have. In other words, we generally see what we expect to see. It’s called cognitive economics, and is essential, as we just do not have the cerebral processing power to cope without it.

Just because it’s how the brain works does not however mean we are powerless to challenge our perceptions. It’s like the difference between seeing an optical illusion and believe the optical illusion must actually be true because it’s what we saw. We know the conjuror cannot saw the volunteer in half, no matter how our eyes tell us that that is what we’ve just seen.

Same thing with football supporters. There may be some demographic bias in the support base of some football clubs, but generally they closely resemble each other.

Sweeping judgements about the supporters of a club are a sign of either poor reasoning skills or just plain malice, in itself a symptom of limited thinking.

Having said this, I do reserve the right to maintain Brighton fans are delusion and entitled pricks.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2020 12:23

I wondered where that was going in the 1st 2 paragraphs!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Jan 2020 12:38

Armadillo Roadkill
Most people do not understand how they interpret information. It’s a common mistake to believe we perceive the outside world and make accurate judgements on the basis of those perceptions. Actually what we do is scan for a few stand-out elements, then match those to a form of template we already have. In other words, we generally see what we expect to see. It’s called cognitive economics, and is essential, as we just do not have the cerebral processing power to cope without it.

Just because it’s how the brain works does not however mean we are powerless to challenge our perceptions. It’s like the difference between seeing an optical illusion and believe the optical illusion must actually be true because it’s what we saw. We know the conjuror cannot saw the volunteer in half, no matter how our eyes tell us that that is what we’ve just seen.

We see this every week with BFTG reports.

Beats me how some people can see (whoever) as MotM and others think he barely deserved a 4

4464 posts