Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Hound » 28 Sep 2020 09:58

NewCorkSeth Do we press a lot? Thought we only really press in midifield. Its not like we press high up.

yeah press in midfield. Which I prefer personally to the high press

they are correct about RB, definitely a worry

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Sep 2020 09:59

How can somebody not know who Lucas Joao is :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Sep 2020 10:00

NewCorkSeth Do we press a lot? Thought we only really press in midifield. Its not like we press high up.

Paunovic wants us to press in the "right way" apparently according to a recent interview with Laurent. So can only assume that means in certain situations rather than constantly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 10:39

Hound

Although Araruna is far more a RB than DM.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 11:41

Hound

I mean, if it was down to football philosophy, I prefer a high press but it takes an incredible team to do it well.

My view of our pressing was that Rinomhota and Laurent do it. The 4 ahead cover more often than actually press and the CBs play a high line but don't press unless in certain situations.

Cant really say for RB as Araruna plays quite high but Richards is very good at pressing fast and hard.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2020 11:50

NewCorkSeth
Hound

I mean, if it was down to football philosophy, I prefer a high press but it takes an incredible team to do it well.

My view of our pressing was that Rinomhota and Laurent do it. The 4 ahead cover more often than actually press and the CBs play a high line but don't press unless in certain situations.

Cant really say for RB as Araruna plays quite high but Richards is very good at pressing fast and hard.

yeah wouldnt argue with that. tbh every time I see us try to do the high press, we just seem to do it very badly.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 11:55

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound

yeah wouldnt argue with that. tbh every time I see us try to do the high press, we just seem to do it very badly.

Baldock might be able to press high. He has enough acceleration, drive and footballing intelligence. Cant see any of our other forwards doing it well.

Anyway. Just an interesting thing for that person to pick up on. I reckon watching Rinomhota and Laurent charge down opponents and actually winning the ball has given him a flase perspective. Reckon Pauno is perfectly happy to let opposition teams fanny about with it at the back but as soon as they try to get it through us he'll expect 'Lauromhota' to make their presence felt. Hard.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 11:58

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound

For years we've always seemed to stand off a long distance as standard, which means to get close to press you have to run quickly, making it much easier to wrong foot you... or you have to stand off.

Plus our shape and organisation has been a little muddled a lot making pressing as a team hard.

Rino and Laurent working together adds so much to the team. Laurent isn't an amazing player, but he's so important to making us tick.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 11:59

Snowflake Royal
Hound
NewCorkSeth I mean, if it was down to football philosophy, I prefer a high press but it takes an incredible team to do it well.

For years we've always seemed to stand off a long distance as standard, which means to get close to press you have to run quickly, making it much easier to wrong foot you... or you have to stand off.

Plus our shape and organisation has been a little muddled a lot making pressing as a team hard.

Rino and Laurent working together adds so much to the team. Laurent isn't an amazing player, but he's so important to making us tick.

Yep. The Chris Gunter approach is what it is called.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2020 12:08

Snowflake Royal Rino and Laurent working together adds so much to the team. Laurent isn't an amazing player, but he's so important to making us tick.

yeah I'm a big fan. The fact that Laurent is a big lad and decent in the air is a huge bonus as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 12:11

Hound
Snowflake Royal Rino and Laurent working together adds so much to the team. Laurent isn't an amazing player, but he's so important to making us tick.

yeah I'm a big fan. The fact that Laurent is a big lad and decent in the air is a huge bonus as well.

There's a lot to be said for determined water carriers who run all day and keep it simple, even if they aren't technically brilliant.

But I'm shit, so of course I'd rate hard work over talent

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 12:15

Snowflake Royal
Hound

There's a lot to be said for determined water carriers who run all day and keep it simple, even if they aren't technically brilliant.

The good thing about Laurent as well is, that he genuinely looks like he is enjoying playing for the club, which is really nice to see.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 14:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Interestingly against Derby Rinomhota played the water carrier role and against Barnsley Laurent did. Wonder why they switched.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 14:31

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Interestingly against Derby Rinomhota played the water carrier role and against Barnsley Laurent did. Wonder why they switched.

Probably just managing workloads with it still being early in the season and without a proper pre-season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 14:42

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal There's a lot to be said for determined water carriers who run all day and keep it simple, even if they aren't technically brilliant.

Probably just managing workloads with it still being early in the season and without a proper pre-season.

Ah yes. Could be correct there. As I said in the Derby thread, Rinomhota is an excellent water carrier. Still would love to see him in a box to box role one day.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 16:50

Think they both play it, that's the benefit. Inevitably one will end up getting forward a bit more than the other.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 17:05

Snowflake Royal Think they both play it, that's the benefit. Inevitably one will end up getting forward a bit more than the other.

Rinomhota certainly dropped into the position we saw swift take up last season between the 2 CBs against Derby and Laurent did it against Barnsley. Didnt see anyone do it much against Cardiff as they seemingly, and cleverly, decided to play it a bit longer. If the ref was such a shambles we would have done better against Cardiff. Morro could have gotten 2 yellows easily.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Sep 2020 17:37

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Think they both play it, that's the benefit. Inevitably one will end up getting forward a bit more than the other.

Rinomhota certainly dropped into the position we saw swift take up last season between the 2 CBs against Derby and Laurent did it against Barnsley. Didnt see anyone do it much against Cardiff as they seemingly, and cleverly, decided to play it a bit longer. If the ref was such a shambles we would have done better against Cardiff. Morro could have gotten 2 yellows easily.

Maybe as they play together and understand each other more they'll both do it a bit. I remember with Sidwell and Harper that when one broke forward, the other instinctively knew to fill in.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Sep 2020 17:50

Snowflake Royal
Hound

But it’s effective, especially in this league. Rather that than your Norwoods or Guthries who were technically superior but lacked substance. And, personally, they’re more entertaining to watch!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 18:12

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
Hound

But it’s effective, especially in this league. Rather that than your Norwoods or Guthries who were technically superior but lacked substance. And, personally, they’re more entertaining to watch!

LOL, Norwood had plenty of substance.

4464 posts