Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Hendo » 05 Oct 2020 10:17

tidus_mi2
skipper
bobby m's syrup I can understand, though not condone the sense of entitlement that supporters of some 'big' clubs display. However effective they have been in the last few years, Watford are not footballing giants and are less successful at this level than Reading. It wasn't that long ago that we were rivals in Division 3 FFS

I may not know their history properly, but certainly since I've been switched on to football and Reading, Watford haven't been a bigger club than us, or, arguably more successful.

So I'm not sure where their sense of entitlement comes from? We're very similar clubs!

Looked at their historical record and Watford could definitely argue they are bigger due to more seasons in the top flight but like us they haven't won anything that matters. That said they did finish as top flight runners-up once and have 2 FA Cup Final appearances.

Historically they are a bigger club than us, for sure. But over the last 20 years, the clubs seem to be very similar with Watford having a bit more success more recently than us.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 10:34

Super_horns
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

LOL

Always amazed how many people can’t remain objective after their team lose. This goes for all teams.

That is a weird comment from them. It was a very even game with both teams creating good chances. The Olise chance was completely forgotten too. He was very close to a screamer. As close as any of their chances were.

I think some of our fans might be in for a nasty shock if they think the league is going to be easy.

In 4 games we have had 2 goals and not many shots on target.

Now that might change if a couple of key players come back and do well but I certainly don't think you were rubbish and trying to cheat or whatever.

As ever there is a right old miss on there and stuff like Twitter.

Half think we will up there and other who don't.

Your objective comments are appreciated. I’m sure most Watford fans are on the same page as you, but as with all clubs, Reading included, a vocal minority of idiots/uninitiated On social media/forums appear to be a majority.

It’s very early days, as I say I would expect Watford to be top six, and should be really. When teams come down from the prem there are always a minority of fans who seems to think they have a right to bounce back at the first attempt.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 05 Oct 2020 10:51

tidus_mi2
skipper
bobby m's syrup I can understand, though not condone the sense of entitlement that supporters of some 'big' clubs display. However effective they have been in the last few years, Watford are not footballing giants and are less successful at this level than Reading. It wasn't that long ago that we were rivals in Division 3 FFS

I may not know their history properly, but certainly since I've been switched on to football and Reading, Watford haven't been a bigger club than us, or, arguably more successful.

So I'm not sure where their sense of entitlement comes from? We're very similar clubs!

Looked at their historical record and Watford could definitely argue they are bigger due to more seasons in the top flight but like us they haven't won anything that matters. That said they did finish as top flight runners-up once and have 2 FA Cup Final appearances.

But all that was prior to 1990s, right? So in my time supporting Reading, that've effectively been the same size club. With with what you pointed out, there really isn't that much in it. We've finished higher in the top tier, more recently than they have! And we've had 3 few FA cup quarterfinals in the past decade, they've had 1 semi-final (and one final) in the same period. Even their stadium is the same size (marginally smaller than ours).

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 11:01

skipper
tidus_mi2
skipper

But all that was prior to 1990s, right? So in my time supporting Reading, that've effectively been the same size club. With with what you pointed out, there really isn't that much in it. We've finished higher in the top tier, more recently than they have! And we've had 3 few FA cup quarterfinals in the past decade, they've had 1 semi-final (and one final) in the same period. Even their stadium is the same size (marginally smaller than ours).

Let’s face it, all these arguments about who’s slightly less small and slightly less unsuccessful are pathetic, it’s like saying who’s shit smells less than the others. :|

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Oct 2020 11:02

CountryRoyal
skipper
tidus_mi2 Looked at their historical record and Watford could definitely argue they are bigger due to more seasons in the top flight but like us they haven't won anything that matters. That said they did finish as top flight runners-up once and have 2 FA Cup Final appearances.

Let’s face it, all these arguments about who’s slightly less small and slightly less unsuccessful are pathetic, it’s like saying who’s shit smells less than the others. :|

If your shit smells as bad as the crap you come out with on here then I think you'll win that particular battle.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Oct 2020 11:05

SouthDownsRoyal
Super_horns
NewCorkSeth That is a weird comment from them. It was a very even game with both teams creating good chances. The Olise chance was completely forgotten too. He was very close to a screamer. As close as any of their chances were.

I think some of our fans might be in for a nasty shock if they think the league is going to be easy.

Now that might change if a couple of key players come back and do well but I certainly don't think you were rubbish and trying to cheat or whatever.

Your objective comments are appreciated. I’m sure most Watford fans are on the same page as you, but as with all clubs, Reading included, a vocal minority of idiots/uninitiated On social media/forums appear to be a majority.

It’s very early days, as I say I would expect Watford to be top six, and should be really. When teams come down from the prem there are always a minority of fans who seems to think they have a right to bounce back at the first attempt.

+1. I thought you looked like a premier league team still. Foster is still excellent and that Kabasele fella looked different gravy.

Would expect you to go back up tbh.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2020 11:09

Always tickles me when fans start talking about club size. Brighton, Wolves, Wet Sham fans for example ised to love talking about it when being beaten by little Reading.

One of my favourite lines from Game of Thrones: "Any man who must say "I am the king" is no true king."

Likewise, any fan who must start talking shit about how "big" their club is, usually when they've just been beaten by a "small" club, doesn't really have much of a club to talk about really.

TBF Watford are a good side though, good luck to them, they'll do ok this season.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 05 Oct 2020 11:52

Millsy Always tickles me when fans start talking about club size. Brighton, Wolves, Wet Sham fans for example ised to love talking about it when being beaten by little Reading.

One of my favourite lines from Game of Thrones: "Any man who must say "I am the king" is no true king."

Likewise, any fan who must start talking shit about how "big" their club is, usually when they've just been beaten by a "small" club, doesn't really have much of a club to talk about really.

TBF Watford are a good side though, good luck to them, they'll do ok this season.

I'm using this in future debates about size of clubs etc. You're spot on.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Oct 2020 11:55

A team with Sarr, Deulofeu, Hughes and Cleverley creating the chances shouldn’t have much problem at this level. It might be harder than they expect but top 6 is very realistic.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2020 12:55

Greatwesternline
Millsy Always tickles me when fans start talking about club size. Brighton, Wolves, Wet Sham fans for example ised to love talking about it when being beaten by little Reading.

I'm using this in future debates about size of clubs etc. You're spot on.

Ha thanks. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 13:19

This

And anyway, what makes a “Big” club? Size of ground? How new the ground is? Regular attendance? History of the club? Money spent on players? Neither are a very good metric of how BIG a club is.

Apart from a handful of clubs in England I wouldn’t say many are big clubs anyway.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 05 Oct 2020 13:30

CountryRoyal
skipper
tidus_mi2 Looked at their historical record and Watford could definitely argue they are bigger due to more seasons in the top flight but like us they haven't won anything that matters. That said they did finish as top flight runners-up once and have 2 FA Cup Final appearances.

For sure. Do we ever delude ourselves on our size? Generally speaking I often consider us an average sized club.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 14:32

skipper
CountryRoyal
skipper

For sure. Do we ever delude ourselves on our size? Generally speaking I often consider us an average sized club.

I think generally we’re pretty reasoned (in terms of that at least) we don’t think tend to overstate our position or status. Same can’t be said for your Brighton’s and Fulham’s.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 15:16

SouthDownsRoyal

This

And anyway, what makes a “Big” club? Size of ground? How new the ground is? Regular attendance? History of the club? Money spent on players? Neither are a very good metric of how BIG a club is.

Apart from a handful of clubs in England I wouldn’t say many are big clubs anyway.

I guess its fanbase, stadium capacity and ability to maximise revenue that matters. I'd say Norwich are a big club at this level as they sell out a big stadium every week and should have a financial advantage from this. Recent history also matters, but is more temporary. Watford are no bigger than us, but will have an advantage for a few years due to their recent success.

What literally means nothing is trophies you won in the 70s or 80s, or even before. What does the Clough era mean for Forest apart from good memories? By all means enjoy the memories, but it doesn't make you a big club.

I remember Sheffield United once chanting "You've never won oxf*rd all at us". Ignoring the grammar, the last major trophy they won was the FA Cup in 1925. Why are they chanting that at us? Do they remember winning it?

Are Old Etonians a big club on that basis?

boycey

by boycey » 05 Oct 2020 15:28

tis based purely on fan base.

Premier league title winners Blackburn, small club.
Whereas your perennial underachievers a la Sunderland, Sheff Weds... etc , big clubs.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Oct 2020 15:54

boycey tis based purely on fan base.

Whereas your perennial underachievers a la Sunderland, Sheff Weds... etc , big clubs.

Just looked up synonyms for popular with locals - doesn't come up with 'big' on any of the three sites I tried

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 17:41

I've always considered it a mixture of fanbase, recent success and historic trophies. With the biggest factors being recent success (say last 10 years) and fanbase.

Given our prolonged time above L1, holidays to the PL, and cup runs, I don't think there are many Championship clubs that can genuinely claim to be substantially bigger than us in any way that actually matters here and now.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Oct 2020 17:58

NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal
Super_horns

+1. I thought you looked like a premier league team still. Foster is still excellent and that Kabasele fella looked different gravy.

Really? Judging from Saturdays performance alone I thought they looked very ordinary.

under the tin

by under the tin » 06 Oct 2020 08:34

Franchise FC
boycey tis based purely on fan base.

Just looked up synonyms for popular with locals - doesn't come up with 'big' on any of the three sites I tried

I agree with this.
Norwich and Portsmouth are well supported clubs because it's the "done thing to do".
If you're into football, you don't look beyond your local team.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Oct 2020 08:41

Jagermesiter1871
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

Really? Judging from Saturdays performance alone I thought they looked very ordinary.

They looked a Premier League team stuck in a downward spiral to me but still with a quality above the usual opposition. Whether certain players have the mental strength to thrive in a league they thought they were above is a question worth asking though. They will need to be mentally strong if they want to bounce straight back up.

I just think if you compare them with Cardiff, a team most pundits put up there in the division, Watford looked better to a man.

4464 posts