Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Lower West » 14 Apr 2019 10:30

Zip It’s a shame fans from other clubs don’t give Reading just a little bit of credit for Twenty’s Plenty. They don’t get ripped off like they do by some other clubs.

The general level of away support suggests that the policy does work. We are struggling to sell 1500 at Bristol City. At £32 hardly surprising.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2019 10:53

sandman Have to laugh at the person on there who said that Ref was a "Homer".

He gave them absolutely everything, including failing to give us a free kick in the lead up to the free kick that got them back into the game.

and Maupay didn't even get a yellow for grabbing Baker by the throat (should have been red)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Aug 2019 08:33

I'll take that - Reading have some good players and I think they'l do well this season.

Reading we’re a much improved side & played really well. Better than previous Reading teams.

But Reading are a decent side and should finish top half.

I thought Reading looked very good and it was a good football match on the whole. The goalscorer for them was seriously impressive all night and looks like he will be a steal when they sign him permanently for around £3m.

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=23662.0

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Aug 2019 08:57

There are not many fan bases I have much time for. West Brom’s fans always seem to come across as decent and without that sense of entitlement you see so often from supporters of other clubs

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Aug 2019 09:01

Zip There are not many fan bases I have much time for. West Brom’s fans always seem to come across as decent and without that sense of entitlement you see so often from supporters of other clubs

Yep agreed.

There was one guy on the match thread that said poor result against a poor side - and was mostly greeted with “poor side?? :lol:

I’d much rather see WBA go up ahead of Fulham (obviously). But then again, I’d rather anyone went up ahead of Fulham, except Leeds.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Aug 2019 09:23

Everytime I've been to the hawthorns they've been a class act. Plenty of friendly banter in the vine pre and post match and definitely without any sense of entitlement. Best club in the Midlands all day.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2019 09:28

Yep +1 on wba. Plenty of time for them

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Aug 2019 09:28

Agreed, by far the best of the Birmingham-area sides

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Aug 2019 09:29

Jagermesiter1871 Everytime I've been to the hawthorns they've been a class act. Plenty of friendly banter in the vine pre and post match and definitely without any sense of entitlement. Best club in the Midlands all day.

Understatement imo, they're possibly the most likeable club (or at least fan base - the ridiculous sacking of Moore was a bit of a mark against the owners) in the country.

They're there to enjoy themselves and they take the rough with the smooth. That would be patronising but they also have a habit of assembling good sides and never spend long in this division.

I have a lot of time for West Brom.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Aug 2019 09:31

SCIAG
Jagermesiter1871 Everytime I've been to the hawthorns they've been a class act. Plenty of friendly banter in the vine pre and post match and definitely without any sense of entitlement. Best club in the Midlands all day.

Understatement imo, they're possibly the most likeable club (or at least fan base - the ridiculous sacking of Moore was a bit of a mark against the owners) in the country.

They're there to enjoy themselves and they take the rough with the smooth. That would be patronising but they also have a habit of assembling good sides and never spend long in this division.

I'd say they're a big club in this league without their fans acting like one. Certainly bigger than Fulham who like to think of themselves as Barcelona.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Aug 2019 09:41

Dont know a single West Brom fan so haven't formed an opinion on them. But on twitter they seem to be a grounded bunch. Lamenting their inability to break down teams like us rather than the usual "cant even beat Reading" responses you get.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Aug 2019 09:42

While I do have a lot of time for WBA (nearest ground to my house, PhD students have been fans, Cyrille Regis etc), I can't help but laugh at this slice of history;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOp0oxkRks

Final game of 1990-91 season, branded a toga party a few months earlier by fans who were convinced they couldn't go down. At this point, Rovers played in Bath. There's a grainy photo of a LOT of WBA fans, many of them dressed as romans, sat at the nearby station, trains cancelled or just ignoring it. Pissed off don't cover it.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 22 Aug 2019 10:33

stealthpapes While I do have a lot of time for WBA (nearest ground to my house, PhD students have been fans, Cyrille Regis etc), I can't help but laugh at this slice of history;

Final game of 1990-91 season, branded a toga party a few months earlier by fans who were convinced they couldn't go down. At this point, Rovers played in Bath. There's a grainy photo of a LOT of WBA fans, many of them dressed as romans, sat at the nearby station, trains cancelled or just ignoring it. Pissed off don't cover it.

I was at that game. It was a nothing game for Rovers, until 10 minutes before kick-off when the WBA contingent invaded the home area. Atmosphere changed in a second and suddenly the Rovers fans really wanted to win. The game kicked off and about 2 minutes in, Carl Sanders was sent off for a ridiculous foul. Rovers fans were now desperate to see WBA go down, and so they did.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 22 Aug 2019 13:07

I think the two seasons they then spent in the third tier until they came back under Ossie Ardiles and the play offs is the only time they have spent outside the top two divisions in their 150+ year history.

I remember (just about!) turning up to the Hawthorns for our away fixture midweek there in 92-93 after a day of heavy drinking in Worcester and wondering who the hell was in goal for us that night....Shaka’s debut! We lost the game 3-0 but better times were just around the corner.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 22 Aug 2019 16:57

SCIAG

Not sure if they did it last night, but at last year’s game, they let the away end on the metro first after full time, before opening the home dam. Not many clubs that fair.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Aug 2019 12:13

genome Agreed, by far the best of the Birmingham-area sides

Low bar though

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Aug 2019 12:32

East Grinstead Royal
stealthpapes While I do have a lot of time for WBA (nearest ground to my house, PhD students have been fans, Cyrille Regis etc), I can't help but laugh at this slice of history;

I was at that game. It was a nothing game for Rovers, until 10 minutes before kick-off when the WBA contingent invaded the home area. Atmosphere changed in a second and suddenly the Rovers fans really wanted to win. The game kicked off and about 2 minutes in, Carl Sanders was sent off for a ridiculous foul. Rovers fans were now desperate to see WBA go down, and so they did.

thank you for that! nice bit of context.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Aug 2019 12:33

Singing Defective
SCIAG

Not sure if they did it last night, but at last year’s game, they let the away end on the metro first after full time, before opening the home dam. Not many clubs that fair.

there were five of us but yeah, they didn't complain that we queue jumped somewhat.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 12:44

bcubed
genome Agreed, by far the best of the Birmingham-area sides

Low bar though

They clear it by miles.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Aug 2019 13:02

Broadly, all of the West Mids fans I've met are decent. Villa fans tend a bit towards arrogance, but all have been through countless wringers and shitty owners and crap football to give them a sense of perspective and a sense of humour.

4464 posts