Jason Roberts nearly back

732 posts
peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

Re: Jason Roberts nearly back

by peterroyal76 » 15 Sep 2013 17:48

What I find irritating with Roberts is him not giving answers when interviewed.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Sep 2013 17:52

peterroyal76 What I find irritating with Roberts is him not giving answers when interviewed.

He has a higher media profile as a "current player" so he is not going to admit it is all over until he has to. He is clearly building his media career for the end of the season when he retires. Who can blame him really? But it is a problem for us - large wages being paid and no prospect of anything in return.

Another huge error by the club - what on earth possessed them to give him an extra year after we were promoted. The PL season should have been his last.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 Sep 2013 18:08

andrew1957
peterroyal76 What I find irritating with Roberts is him not giving answers when interviewed.

He has a higher media profile as a "current player" so he is not going to admit it is all over until he has to. He is clearly building his media career for the end of the season when he retires. Who can blame him really? But it is a problem for us - large wages being paid and no prospect of anything in return.

Another huge error by the club - what on earth possessed them to give him an extra year after we were promoted. The PL season should have been his last.

Thought it was something in his contract that he activated after he got injured?

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 15 Sep 2013 18:18

Royalwaster
andrew1957

Thought it was something in his contract that he activated after he got injured?

He had an option to extend the deal by 12 months and he took is after he was told his injury was career threatening and that it was unlikely he'd make a full recovery.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2013 20:39

andrew1957

I wonder how much say Brian McDermott had in that decision and whether it was another case of his loyalty to players costing us dear.

As for Roberts, if he is so good for the players to have around, he should be made to travel to all of our games and not be allowed to swan off for his media and other engagements - make the b*gger go some way towards earning the massive wages that we are no doubt paying him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Sep 2013 20:45

Can we all have a whip-round to get Roberts paid off so our club isn't tainted by association with this tool any more. Race card? He plays the Race deck.

fruits

by fruits » 15 Sep 2013 21:07

floyd__streete Can we all have a whip-round to get Roberts paid off so our club isn't tainted by association with this tool any more. Race card? He plays the Race deck.

Let´s get rid of the Pog at the same time.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 15 Sep 2013 22:07

Hope to see him back soon, robbo with a broken leg is still better than pog, but if he's just doing it for the money thats acceptable in my book, although taking a high wage and making the most of it, we offered him the deal we should stick to it and all of us would say yes to the option of getting an extra 20k a week instead of nothing, no one would say nahh im alright. Footballs a short career I don't blame him for taking the money while he can.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 17 Sep 2013 10:24

Would be nice if Roberts followed this example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24117343

And before anyone goes on about how much wealthier Kaka is, wealth is relative and people get used to living within and up to their incomes. So I am sure Kaka will notice the drop in his income too.

On Sunday, rather than working for his main employer, Roberts was with Sky. Did he do it for free? Did he pass on his Sky fee to RFC? Or was it a nice extra earner for him?

IMO, whilst he is being paid by the club he should be working for the club and not potentially earning a bonus(es) from elsewhere as a consequence of his long-term injury.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Sep 2013 23:39

floyd__streete Can we all have a whip-round to get Roberts paid off so our club isn't tainted by association with this tool any more. Race card? He plays the Race deck.

Agreed. His black supremacy regime is picking up speed since his 'injury'.

He's just tweeted tonight that the best human being in the World in Mohammed Ali. Surprised he didn't pick a person of white origin.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Sep 2013 23:51

Who would you have picked Kes? Morrissey or Frank?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Sep 2013 05:18

RoyalBlue Would be nice if Roberts followed this example:

And before anyone goes on about how much wealthier Kaka is, wealth is relative and people get used to living within and up to their incomes. So I am sure Kaka will notice the drop in his income too.

On Sunday, rather than working for his main employer, Roberts was with Sky. Did he do it for free? Did he pass on his Sky fee to RFC? Or was it a nice extra earner for him?

IMO, whilst he is being paid by the club he should be working for the club and not potentially earning a bonus(es) from elsewhere as a consequence of his long-term injury.

Oh behave....

Unless Reading have determined that sitting down in a television studio is detrimental to his recovery it's totally up to him how he spends his free time. It's no different to him sitting around his house playing GTA V, or whatever other way other players choose to spend their free time.

If he was ditching extra physio or doing club community work in order to earn a wage from the BBC or Sky it would be a different matter but right now I can't see how spending a few hours on the odd afternoon or evening is going to in any way impact his recovery from a chronic hip injury.

Why should he give up his wages? Would you give up your wage if you were signed off sick due to an injury you picked up while working?

While I applaud the gesture he's made It's a totally different scenario for Kaka who's been earning millions but it's slightly different for a player who's potentially just a few months from retirement and has spent his time playing for lower Premier League teams at best. As long as he continues to work at returning to fitness and is obeying the fitness/rehab plans approved by the club then fair enough, I'm as frustrated as anyone that he's not played for nearly a year but if you want to blame anyone blame the club for giving him the chance to get another deal.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Sep 2013 08:23

Wimb

Oh behave....

Unless Reading have determined that sitting down in a television studio is detrimental to his recovery it's totally up to him how he spends his free time. It's no different to him sitting around his house playing GTA V, or whatever other way other players choose to spend their free time.

If he was ditching extra physio or doing club community work in order to earn a wage from the BBC or Sky it would be a different matter but right now I can't see how spending a few hours on the odd afternoon or evening is going to in any way impact his recovery from a chronic hip injury.

Why should he give up his wages? Would you give up your wage if you were signed off sick due to an injury you picked up while working?

While I applaud the gesture he's made It's a totally different scenario for Kaka who's been earning millions but it's slightly different for a player who's potentially just a few months from retirement and has spent his time playing for lower Premier League teams at best. As long as he continues to work at returning to fitness and is obeying the fitness/rehab plans approved by the club then fair enough, I'm as frustrated as anyone that he's not played for nearly a year but if you want to blame anyone blame the club for giving him the chance to get another deal.

You miss the point completely. By being paid by Sky (I'm assuming he didn't do it by free) at a time when he would normally be working for the club but for his injury, he is actually getting a financial bonus for being injured - an injury that is potentially costing the club dear. There must have been plenty of things that he could have done for the club, his main employer, on a match day. So I guess I am blaming them for not making him work for them, as opposed to profiting from his absence due to injury by working for Sky.

As for the other point, even players playing for lower level teams at best earn very good money nowadays. Add to that signing fees from his moves etc. I would suggest that Roberts is never going to be struggling for money. If I was in his position I might just consider forgoing some of my income in those circumstances or maybe he is already doing so in the form of donations to causes he supports.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Sep 2013 08:33

I don't think it's fair to judge anyone else's financial decisions without knowing their individual circumstances. The point is he's entitled to that money and he's still working even if that's not actually playing league games for Reading.

The club may well prefer the fact that Roberts is out representing Reading Football Club on a national/international broadcast, certainly increases exposure for the club. I don't recall too many moaning when Murty used to pop up on TV when he was injured, while plenty of other players have done guest spots on TV and Radio while they've been injured.

It's fair if you want to blame Reading for not utilising him in other capacities but unless there's a really pressing need for him to attend X or Y on a matchday for the club, it's probably better for them to let him do his media thing, keep him happy and have a Reading player on national TV.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 25 Sep 2013 09:12

No Fixed Abode

Agreed. His black supremacy regime is picking up speed since his 'injury'.

He's just tweeted tonight that the best human being in the World in Mohammed Ali. Surprised he didn't pick a person of white origin.

And not a word about Gazza..
Hmmmmm?

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 25 Sep 2013 09:27

If any of us on here were earning the money he earns, not one of you would give it up for being injured. Especially when you consider a footballers career is so short and they have to sort them selves out for life in just 20 odd years.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 25 Sep 2013 09:28

Good work RoyalBlue. If you carry on like this, you could well be in line for my coveted award, 'Biggest Pcunt of the Year (2013)'.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 25 Sep 2013 09:30

Wimb

Oh behave....

The ordinary man in the street would have had his sick pay docked by now and would be on about ninety quid a week benifits,that's why .And probably sacked for moonlighting while working when sick.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Sep 2013 09:35

Didn't see Kaka asking not to be paid during his lengthy injury lay offs whilst he was at Madrid. In fact, despite being on astronomical wages, he would put his country ahead of the club paying him those wages and fly off to Brazil to play for them rather than complete his recovery.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Sep 2013 09:37

ankeny
Wimb

Oh behave....

The ordinary man in the street would have had his sick pay docked by now and would be on about ninety quid a week benifits,that's why .And probably sacked for moonlighting while working when sick.

Except he is still working for RFC by doing his injury recovery work in the treatment room.

732 posts