The Reading Mismatch

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: The Reading Mismatch

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2013 12:35

SCIAG The best thing I can say in Brendy's favour is that idiots (and floyd) always disagree with him.

To be fair, with the amount of posts Brendy makes everyone's bound to find something to agree with eventually. Even if it's by accident.

Hertfordshire Royal

by Hertfordshire Royal » 16 Aug 2013 13:10

I think Fridays Ghost has Anger issues .

I think he may be Dan the Angry Fan from Soccer AM

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 13:39

Hey Sciag your post was eerily similar to my first response. Probably because what we said is glaringly obvious. Or should be.

nevo1970

by nevo1970 » 16 Aug 2013 14:33

We played 4-5-1 under Sir Steve in the Prem which is a fact that the Mike Basset Brigade are forgetting.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Aug 2013 17:17

nevo1970 We played 4-5-1 under Sir Steve in the Prem which is a fact that the Mike Basset Brigade are forgetting.

Only against the very biggest clubs though, as I remember. And not always, even then.

I think people's beef isn't with playing 4-5-1, because many of the same people said 4-4-2 was outmoded and McDermott was a dinosaur and blah blah. It's some weird expectation that the best teams in a division should play with two strikers.

Either that or they just want to moan. Oh.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 16 Aug 2013 17:35

So many people spouting rubbish about us needing this 'Big target man'. This isn't the 1980's where we 'Hoof it up to the big fella'. The best player in my time watching Reading, to play the lone striker role was Nicky Forster. He wasn't some big lump. Just an extremely quick CF with a decent touch.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Aug 2013 18:31

Tilehurstsouthbank So many people spouting rubbish about us needing this 'Big target man'. This isn't the 1980's where we 'Hoof it up to the big fella'. The best player in my time watching Reading, to play the lone striker role was Nicky Forster. He wasn't some big lump. Just an extremely quick CF with a decent touch.

Good point but we will need to do away with conventional wingers who cross balls into the box which you still see when Alf is up front. The ball will need to be played through the middle a lot more.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 19:14

I get the OP's drift (it's too dishevelled to call a point)

Whilst in principle I believe playing 4-5-1 is an 'investment for the future' in sanguine hope we should grace MOTD once more, it makes no difference if we do not attain that accomplishment. Consider also that many teams will be dropping anchor at the Madejski to spoil the game and scavenge a point. I am concious that we may struggle to score enough goals to win the sheer volume of matches we need to succeed in this ferociously competitive league.

On that basis I would suggest until we find the right solution to the lone striker conundrum, we start with two up top for the majority of our matches (especially at home).

However, I appreciate it is a fine margin; with a strong squad we are lucky enough to be debating the difference between a Benromach 30y/o and Glenlivet XXV. My personal taste is to see us prioritise goals where possible, and revert to 4-5-1 in second halves and away from home against decent opposition. That is but my scrupulous opinion.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 19:19

paddy20
Tilehurstsouthbank So many people spouting rubbish about us needing this 'Big target man'. This isn't the 1980's where we 'Hoof it up to the big fella'. The best player in my time watching Reading, to play the lone striker role was Nicky Forster. He wasn't some big lump. Just an extremely quick CF with a decent touch.

Good point but we will need to do away with conventional wingers who cross balls into the box which you still see when Alf is up front. The ball will need to be played through the middle a lot more.

Indeed t'was a great point as Forster was electric.

Currently we have neither a 'target man' or a new Fozzy.

As our wings can currently be considered a strong point it is a shame to force them to play a narrower game to accommodate a system which doesn't play to our current strengths.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 16 Aug 2013 19:39

I agree with some of the posts above. I don't have anything against 4-5-1 other than, currently, it doesn't play to our players strengths. I would be more happy if Adkins was flexible enough to change his formation depending on players available to him, the best counter to the opposition and whether home or away.

It may just be the way I see things but I can't get my head round not using wingers and two forwards for home matches. Surely a 4-4-2 formation can accomodate a passing game as much as any other formation. Moreover, we have been promoted twice using wingers and two forwards, why change it if it ain't broke!

A couple of new players (certainly a Striker) may push the squad further into 4-5-1 territory but we don't have those players yet.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 19:43

FridaysGhost I agree with some of the posts above. I don't have anything against 4-5-1 other than, currently, it doesn't play to our players strengths. I would be more happy if Adkins was flexible enough to change his formation depending on players available to him, the best counter to the opposition and whether home or away.

It may just be the way I see things but I can't get my head round not using wingers and two forwards for home matches. Surely a 4-4-2 formation can accomodate a passing game as much as any other formation. Moreover, we have been promoted twice using wingers and two forwards, why change it if it ain't broke!

A couple of new players (certainly a Striker) may push the squad further into 4-5-1 territory but we don't have those players yet.

If you put it like that in the OP I think you would have got a much better response. Well said.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 19:48

FridaysGhost why change it if it ain't broke!

FridaysGhost Our Owner expects an immediate return to the Premiership whilst definately retaining the Reading Way of transfers - a situation which has been proved wrong every time the team has tried to progress.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 16 Aug 2013 20:26

NewCorkSeth

FridaysGhost Our Owner expects an immediate return to the Premiership whilst definately retaining the Reading Way of transfers - a situation which has been proved wrong every time the team has tried to progress.

A comment about the 4-4-2 formation and another comment about us not spending the required money when it was neccessary are not in any way in oposition to each other.
Whatever point you are trying to make, I think you may have blown it!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 20:42

FridaysGhost
NewCorkSeth

A comment about the 4-4-2 formation and another comment about us not spending the required money when it was neccessary are not in any way in oposition to each other.

HAHA seriously?
A) You said don't change something that isn't broken!
B) We have been promoted twice since 2006 under "The Reading way"
So..
The "Reading Way" (B) has been successful, therefore, we should not change something as it isn't broken (A)

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 16 Aug 2013 20:45

FridaysGhost
NewCorkSeth

Unlucky mate, he's got you there

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Aug 2013 21:59

Alexander Litvinenko But find that striker - and we can still always buy one, plus we have a couple of kids on the verge of breaking through - and then we're the finished product. And what's more we'll be setup to do well in the Premier League, because we'll have the team and the formation that's right for it.

The alternative to this joined-up, long-term strategic thinking is to go up playing 4-4-2, then come straight back down again because the team has to start from scratch and be rebuilt in a different formation.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather we planned for the longer-term, rather than just for a year at a time.

That deserved a "Good Post" from someone.

The whole long-term future of the club is going to be built far more on the success of the Academy in producing a succession of decent players who, if given the opportunity, might prove good enough to play in the top 2 tiers of English football, than on financial muscle in the transfer market.

Buy a Jordan Rhodes type and what happens to Ugwu and Samuels? Set them back a year and then what happens? They go out on loan, get frustrated and ultimately offloaded. They need a chance to flourish here.

Adkins has a history of getting young players to flourish and I can't wait to see who pushes through first. I think we'll be good enough to get promotion this season anyway, but it's not all about THIS season - it's about 2, 5 and 10 years down the road. The culture needs to change for Anton's vision to work. Yes, he wants promotion but I suspect he has the patience to wait for that if he can see obvious progress in other areas of the club - the Academy being the most important by far.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 16 Aug 2013 22:09

Royal Rother
Alexander Litvinenko But find that striker - and we can still always buy one, plus we have a couple of kids on the verge of breaking through - and then we're the finished product. And what's more we'll be setup to do well in the Premier League, because we'll have the team and the formation that's right for it.

The alternative to this joined-up, long-term strategic thinking is to go up playing 4-4-2, then come straight back down again because the team has to start from scratch and be rebuilt in a different formation.

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather we planned for the longer-term, rather than just for a year at a time.

The whole long-term future of the club is going to be built far more on the success of the Academy in producing a succession of decent players who, if given the opportunity, might prove good enough to play in the top 2 tiers of English football, than on financial muscle in the transfer market.

Buy a Jordan Rhodes type and what happens to Ugwu and Samuels? Set them back a year and then what happens? They go out on loan, get frustrated and ultimately offloaded. They need a chance to flourish here.

Adkins has a history of getting young players to flourish and I can't wait to see who pushes through first. I think we'll be good enough to get promotion this season anyway, but it's not all about THIS season - it's about 2, 5 and 10 years down the road. The culture needs to change for Anton's vision to work. Yes, he wants promotion but I suspect he has the patience to wait for that if he can see obvious progress in other areas of the club - the Academy being the most important by far.

Bollocks to that!

Let's end 20 years of boring brick-by-brick development with a blaze-of-glory, FA Cup winning, club destroying spunk-fest!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2013 22:10

Royal Rother

+1

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 16 Aug 2013 22:44

Friday's Ghost is right.

We cannot possibly win this league unless we spend £10m. To do otherwise shows we have no class or ambition.

Loic Remy would be a good bet. If we bought him, we would be bound to be promoted- and he would storm the prem for us.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Aug 2013 23:02

Royal Rother

Perhaps if he gives a couple of these academy players a shot off the bench we can see what they've got. With our tough start to the season there hasn't really been scope for experiment yet.... but at Yeovil perhaps?