The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7491 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2013/14

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jan 2014 00:12

Royals and Racers Really enjoyed being at the game last night-one Reading player stood out for me,Dominic Hyam looked a real classy player and I believe he has every chance of becoming a 1st team player. The other player I think that has a chance of breaking through is Liam Kelly although I am worried his size might go against him.

He makes Jay Tabb look like a giant.

I was also quite impressed by Stacey, very creative.
Fosu was good on the ball, and good tracking back, but seemed to have a bit of an attitude issue.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 24 Jan 2014 07:17

floyd__streete
P!ssed Off I think we only had two 'foreigners' in the squad of 16: Fridj and Vastuk, the striker.
Sure we don't want to hamper local youth development by filling up the youth team with foreign imports but 2 out of 16 is perfectly acceptable imo.

If anyone is looking at the names Owusu, Fosu, Ofori, Husin and Lawal and thinking 'why have Reading got so many foreign youth players?' then that says more about them than Reading.

Yeah, tbh m8 I am just messing about during my lunch hour at work.

Have to admit to not hugely caring about the Academy as I am not hugely interested as to who will be forming the basis of Basingstoke Town's first team in 5 years time.

A pessimist is never disappointed...

I would urge everyone to become interested in our Youth Development, as there are some really positive signs. One thing is certain. They will be given every opportunity to progress.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Jan 2014 14:11

glass half full
floyd__streete
P!ssed Off I think we only had two 'foreigners' in the squad of 16: Fridj and Vastuk, the striker.
Sure we don't want to hamper local youth development by filling up the youth team with foreign imports but 2 out of 16 is perfectly acceptable imo.

If anyone is looking at the names Owusu, Fosu, Ofori, Husin and Lawal and thinking 'why have Reading got so many foreign youth players?' then that says more about them than Reading.

Yeah, tbh m8 I am just messing about during my lunch hour at work.

Have to admit to not hugely caring about the Academy as I am not hugely interested as to who will be forming the basis of Basingstoke Town's first team in 5 years time.

A pessimist is never disappointed...

I would urge everyone to become interested in our Youth Development, as there are some really positive signs. One thing is certain. They will be given every opportunity to progress.

'Greed.

Maidenhead need players too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2014 14:46

Hyam looked the dogs to me. Dickie a bit more Morrison \ Gorkss like in his efforts to drive it long innaccurately quite often.

Stacey looked more and more like a pacey Little the longer the game went on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Jan 2014 14:49

'Greed about Hyam. Rolls-Royce of a defender. Impressed me up at Leeds too:

Hyam - Yeah, this guy is classy. Doesn't have the stature of Dickie, but makes up for it with good pace and a quick footballing brain. Composed on the ball too, but a slack pass led to the Leeds goal. Can see why he got given a pro deal. 7

Work to do defensively, and needs to fill out a bit more, but looks to have plenty more scope than Pearce.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Jan 2014 15:09

fridjonson deserves a first team place on name alone

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2014 15:11

"Stock the Fridj and he will score"

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Jan 2014 15:13

:lol:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 24 Jan 2014 15:25

Bristol C or Accrington at home in the QFs, could Reading's youngsters be about to go the furthest the club has ever been in the Youth Cup?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Jan 2014 15:28

Barry the bird boggler Bristol C or Accrington at home in the QFs, could Reading's youngsters be about to go the furthest the club has ever been in the Youth Cup?

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2014 15:29

maffff
Barry the bird boggler Bristol C or Accrington at home in the QFs, could Reading's youngsters be about to go the furthest the club has ever been in the Youth Cup?

League Two team from Lancashire.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jan 2014 22:18

maffff

Unfortunately Hector already did that one.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2014 23:41

Royal Ginger
maffff

Unfortunately Hector already did that one.

About seven times as well.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 25 Jan 2014 14:06

Pepe the Horseman
maffff

League Two team from Lancashire.

Stanley will have to look to their Laurels.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 27 Jan 2014 17:33

I went to the u18 match v Fulham at Hogwood on saturday as a guest of one of our team's parents. Fulham are top of the u18 league and have a number of England youth internationals, including Patrick Roberts who is reportedly the best 18 year old in England. He got a huge signing on fee from Fulham (I cannot tell you how much it was but I did hear a figure which was startlingly high!). He is also already getting paid a fee by his boot sponsorship deal apparently. He was very impressive, playing behind the striker as a number 10. he is short, has great first touch and vision and can dribble too. He reminded me of Jack Wilshire. Why you might ask am I reviewing Fulham's star player? I wanted to put our boys performance into perspective.

Reading rested Fosu, Kelly, Kuhl and Stacey as we have our key u21 cup game this week and they will play in that. The striker from the Youth Cup game (Vaschuk?) was unavailable too, so the only one of the attacking 6 players from weds who played was Fridjohnssen. The back 5 were unchanged. The full team was:

Ward; Watson, Owusu, Dickie, Hyam; Fridjonsson, Shaughnessy, Ofori, Lawal; Husin (Collins, 80), Jeffrey.

I have been waiting for the team / report on the OS before posting this as I wasn't sure who Lawal and Husin were.

Ofori played right wing, Lawal left wing and Husin played behind Jeffrey.

The stand out players were Ward, Hyam, Dickie, Fridjonsson and Shaughnessy.

Ward kept us in it a few times with some excellent diving saves and diving bravely at the feet of on rushing Fulham strikers.
Hyam and Dickie were very solid, won lots of headers and looked composed on the ball (particularly Hyam)
Fridjonsson was my man of the match, great distributor, worked hard and very comfortable on the ball.

We scored first and went in 1-0 at half time after Germaine Ofori tapped in a rebound from 6 yards after a shot (from Husin I think) was parried by their keeper.
This goal was slightly against the run of play, we struggled to create many chances in the first half as our front 4 struggled to get into the game.

In the second half we had a lot more chances as the game opened up and Jeffrey started to look a real threat going forward as he held the ball up well. But Fulham also had more chances and Ward made some stunning saves. Their equaliser was a free header from 6 yards after their pacy winger beat Owusu and put in a great cross.

Fridjonsson then hit the bar and cruelly with almost the last kick of the game a speculative long range Fulham shot deflected wickedly off a Fulham player (who looked offside) and dribbled into the opposite corner with Ward wrong footed. Reading were very unlucky and put up a great performance.

When we have Kelly, Fosu, Stacey and Kuhl back this team will be pretty formidable (hopefully)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 27 Jan 2014 17:43

Cheers Shaka, Fulham have one of the best youth set-ups around atm so if we were competitive were a much weakened side that's a positive sign.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Jan 2014 16:58

Boggy scores for Estonia U21's in their Commonwealth Cup game against Latvia

http://instagram.com/p/jwdFb1JjNn/

Also named MOTM

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jan 2014 17:04

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Jan 2014 14:07

1-0 against Watford in the U21s cup. Craig Tanner.

edit - make that 2-0

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Jan 2014 14:32

Ok, tenuous link as he's no longer with us but I see Uche Ikpeazu went on loan to Crewe the other week..

7491 posts