The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7491 posts
Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Royals and Racers » 11 Feb 2020 13:39

Reading U 18`s have their biggest match for years on Saturday when they meet Manchester city U 18`s in the semi final of the Premier league U 18 cup. the match is being played at Bearwood and kicks off at 11am. The winners will be decided on the day as extra time and penalties will be used if necessary. There might be a chance that Reading will you tube the match live but if not i hope they cover the game in full on the academy twitter feed. The match is going to be a real test for the young Royals as Man City are top of the northern section of the Premier league U 18, whereas the Royals are 9th in the Southern section.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Feb 2020 20:02

Adam Liddle (striker) has joined Derry City on loan for 6 months.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Feb 2020 15:58

Royals and Racers Reading U 18`s have their biggest match for years on Saturday when they meet Manchester city U 18`s in the semi final of the Premier league U 18 cup. the match is being played at Bearwood and kicks off at 11am. The winners will be decided on the day as extra time and penalties will be used if necessary. There might be a chance that Reading will you tube the match live but if not i hope they cover the game in full on the academy twitter feed. The match is going to be a real test for the young Royals as Man City are top of the northern section of the Premier league U 18, whereas the Royals are 9th in the Southern section.

For anyone curious/confused - this is a considerably less prestigious tournament than the FA Youth Cup which we were knocked out of in December, where matches are played at first team grounds and we’ve traditionally fielded our strongest side. The semi final is only the second knockout round. We will probably play a strong side but not our strongest side.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 12 Feb 2020 16:18

SCIAG
Royals and Racers Reading U 18`s have their biggest match for years on Saturday when they meet Manchester city U 18`s in the semi final of the Premier league U 18 cup. the match is being played at Bearwood and kicks off at 11am. The winners will be decided on the day as extra time and penalties will be used if necessary. There might be a chance that Reading will you tube the match live but if not i hope they cover the game in full on the academy twitter feed. The match is going to be a real test for the young Royals as Man City are top of the northern section of the Premier league U 18, whereas the Royals are 9th in the Southern section.

For anyone curious/confused - this is a considerably less prestigious tournament than the FA Youth Cup which we were knocked out of in December, where matches are played at first team grounds and we’ve traditionally fielded our strongest side. The semi final is only the second knockout round. We will probably play a strong side but not our strongest side.

Not sure why anyone would be confused ? yes the FA youth cup is the top U 18 competition, however this is very much a serious cup competition, and i`m in no doubt Reading will play their strongest team(injuries excepted) on Saturday. The top 24 Academies in the Country take part and the last 2 winners have been- hardly Mickey mouse outfits !!!
U18 PL Cup champions
2018/19: Manchester City
2017/18: Chelsea

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2020 17:30

I'd never heard of it before that I recall so appreciate the background from SCIAG.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2020 18:20

Snowflake Royal I'd never heard of it before that I recall so appreciate the background from SCIAG.

It's essentially the U18 Carabao cup.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Feb 2020 23:06

Royals and Racers
SCIAG

Not sure why anyone would be confused ? yes the FA youth cup is the top U 18 competition, however this is very much a serious cup competition, and i`m in no doubt Reading will play their strongest team(injuries excepted) on Saturday. The top 24 Academies in the Country take part and the last 2 winners have been- hardly Mickey mouse outfits !!!
U18 PL Cup champions

Well I for one was confused :wink:

Can’t actually find which teams we’ve used in the earlier rounds but historically u18 players have been spared for u23 (or equivalent) games except for the Youth Cup. I’d be surprised if Olise plays in this too.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Feb 2020 08:02

SCIAG
Royals and Racers
SCIAG For anyone curious/confused - this is a considerably less prestigious tournament than the FA Youth Cup which we were knocked out of in December, where matches are played at first team grounds and we’ve traditionally fielded our strongest side. The semi final is only the second knockout round. We will probably play a strong side but not our strongest side.

U18 PL Cup champions

Well I for one was confused :wink:

Can’t actually find which teams we’ve used in the earlier rounds but historically u18 players have been spared for u23 (or equivalent) games except for the Youth Cup. I’d be surprised if Olise plays in this too.

I think we both know that Olise has moved on from the U18`s and will probably be in a Sheffield hotel resting when the cup tie kicks off.
This was the team that played Palace in December in the FA youth cup and i would expect something similar on Saturday. Not sure if Nevers is injured at present because he doesn`t appear to have played recently.
Reading U18: Boyce-Clarke, Sackey (Anderson 68), Hewitt (c), Dorsett (Abbey 65), Samuels, Pendlebury, Lawless, Osorio, Neves (Hamilton 61), Nevers, McGiff.
Subs: Collins, Melvin-Lambert.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2020 09:32

As per Twitter:

Akin Odimayo and Andre Burley are both joining Irish side Waterford on loan

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2020 09:43

Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2020 09:49

NewCorkSeth
Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

They hinted that John O'Shea had some influence.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2020 09:50

NewCorkSeth
Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

Why? Not going to play in the first team and the League of Ireland isn't a bad standard. Their season only starts this weekend so means they can play 1st team football at a decent level through the summer.

John O'Shea has strong Waterford connections so wouldn't send anyone over there if it wasn't likely to benefit all concerned.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2020 09:53

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

Found this article which has an interview with O'Shea - he was definitely involved:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4173174

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Feb 2020 09:55

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

Yep. Interview is in the Irish Times (behind a paywall), so here it is in full. Waterford are a decent side - same with Derry City (where Adam Liddle has gone).

Amid the flurry of loan deals being completed in time for the start of the new Airtricity League season were two involving young Reading players, Andre Burley and Akin Odimayo, who are heading to Waterford in order to test themselves in top flight football. The link, of course, is John O’Shea with the former Irish international having had a hand in sending a couple of well-regarded defenders Alan Reynolds’ way.

“I’d talked to Renny a few times over the past couple of years about the fact that I was getting into the coaching side of things and he said he’d be in touch if he thought there were areas of the team that he needed players and that lads we might be able to send over would get some valuable experience,” he says.

“I know how important that is from the loans I went out on [to Bournemouth and Royal Antwerp] so we think this will be good for Andre and Akin, well good for everyone really. They’ll get a taste of what it is like to play really competitive football in a good environment and Waterford will be getting two hungry young players who have made it clear they want to go out and get the chance to improve themselves.”

For Reading, as for many other clubs, this sort of thing is a key part in the development of young players. Both 20 year-olds have solid experience of the Under-23 league under their belts and both have been in or around the club’s first team set-up with Burley having featured in three recent FA Cup ties while Odimayo made his debut before going out on another loan earlier in the season.

The club has had players at clubs in Belgium, Spain, Scotland, the US and China over the course of the last 12 months (young striker Adam Liddle touched down at the Brandywell only this week) and an important element of the entire operation is to see how the young professionals adapt to the upheaval of living away and plying their trade in a very different environment.

“Waterford will be good for the lads,” says O’Shea. “The facilities are good, the coaching is good, it’s their third season back in the Premier Division and the standard in it is improving. They’ll also have some big games – St Pats, Bohs, Shamrock Rovers – in the first few weeks they are there. That will be a great test for them.

“But it’s about more than that. It’s also about seeing how they cope with being taken out of their comfort zone; it’s about personal development and developing mental strength. There are a couple of loan managers at the club and they will keep a close eye on how they are getting on. It’s an important step for them and it also allows us to bring a couple of younger players up a level back here...so everyone is progressing.”

Ideally the players will get a lot of game-time although there are no guarantees and O’Shea acknowledges that it would not be practical to actually oblige the manager of the borrowing club to start particular players every time, but it is often the case in these situations for some financial penalties to be imposed if the players to not get certain agreed numbers of minutes out on the pitch. The 38 year-old insists, however, that he had absolutely no part in sorting out that end of these deals.

His own focus at the club is coaching the first team squad while he is working to get qualifications away from the pitch. The long-time Manchester United defender already has his coaching A Licence and is currently doing the federation’s MIP course; a programme specifically designed to help former internationals equip themselves for a career in other areas of the game. Later this year, he hopes to start working towards his Pro Licence with the FAI.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2020 10:06

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Hendo As per Twitter:

Seems strange..

Why? Not going to play in the first team and the League of Ireland isn't a bad standard. Their season only starts this weekend so means they can play 1st team football at a decent level through the summer.

John O'Shea has strong Waterford connections so wouldn't send anyone over there if it wasn't likely to benefit all concerned.

I would say the LOI is a bad standard..

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2020 10:18

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Seems strange..

You have a right to disagree. It is a decent standard - probably a mix of clubs who would do well at League 1 level and others more League 2 - it is a good testing ground for these two players given the options open for them now are play first team on play u23.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2020 10:26

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

You have a right to disagree. It is a decent standard - probably a mix of clubs who would do well at League 1 level and others more League 2 - it is a good testing ground for these two players given the options open for them now are play first team on play u23.

True, I think there are more clubs of League 2 standard than League 1. And that's not to say they are poor divisions but they are not the top division in their country.

The lads should enjoy Ireland. Waterford is a decent place. Just wonder if they would have played against a better standard of opposition in England while also not sacrificing their summer.

I think sending 2 players of the same position to the same club at the same time is often rare too? If they can both start they could develop well.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Feb 2020 10:36

Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers The U23`s next game is on Saturday February 8th away at Swansea in our penultimate league cup group A fixture. the match is being played at Swansea`s Landore training centre at Plasmari Swansea KO 1pm.

Following the 4 games in the comp tonight, several teams have now qualified for the last 16.
Exeter, Doncaster,Bournemouth, Blackburn Middlesborough, Derby and Wolves.

Now 10 out of 16 with Charlton, Reading and Everton through.

Now 11 West Brom qualified last night.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Feb 2020 10:53

Nothing anywhere that i can find yet on Reading`s Website/twitter about the Burley and Odimayo move.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2020 10:57

Royals and Racers Nothing anywhere that i can find yet on Reading`s Website/twitter about the Burley and Odimayo move.

Tbf, it isn't on Waterford's website or twitter either, so might not be 100% done and dusted yet.

7491 posts