The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Hound » 27 Apr 2021 12:37

Royals and Racers
Pepe the Horseman
Royals and Racers could be. we are 1 sub short( not for the 1st time !)

Shame if he is. Was hoping he'd get a run out in one of the dead rubbers.

Another injured must be Pendlebury- seems to have been out for ages.

Yeah he looked great against Luton as well in the cup

I don’t quite understand why East and Watson are playing every game whilst the likes of lawless (who I thought was well rated) are on the bench

Guess there must be some logic behind it

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 27 Apr 2021 12:46

Hound
Royals and Racers
Pepe the Horseman Shame if he is. Was hoping he'd get a run out in one of the dead rubbers.

Another injured must be Pendlebury- seems to have been out for ages.

I don’t quite understand why East and Watson are playing every game whilst the likes of lawless (who I thought was well rated) are on the bench

Probably because the management see them every day in training and we can`t see them as Reading FC can`t be ar$ed to stream any home games( some other clubs do !!)

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 27 Apr 2021 12:51

HT 1-2
1-3 74 mins
2-3 75 mins Maunder
2-4 89 mins
3-4 90 mins Holzman
FT 3-4 Saints had 7 pts all season before today and were clear bottom(Royals had 16) there seems to be a real malaise currently at the club with all the age groups.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2021 14:58

Royals and Racers
Hound
Royals and Racers Another injured must be Pendlebury- seems to have been out for ages.

Probably because the management see them every day in training and we can`t see them as Reading FC can`t be ar$ed to stream any home games( some other clubs do !!)

being as they'll both be released in about a week's time, just doesn't make sense to keep giving them games.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 28 Apr 2021 00:23

Hound
Royals and Racers
Hound

being as they'll both be released in about a week's time, just doesn't make sense to keep giving them games.

Trying to get them clubs

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2021 12:17

It's probably been done by someone, but in general, how do our U-23 released players tend to do eventually?

Any make the Prem?

Any end up in the Champ?

League 1?

etc

I don't mean individuals (tho' of course that's interesting) but stats, like 5 left, started in League 2, ended up in the champ

I don't know numbers-wise how many leave most years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2021 13:09

Snowball It's probably been done by someone, but in general, how do our U-23 released players tend to do eventually?

Any make the Prem?

Any end up in the Champ?

League 1?

etc

I don't mean individuals (tho' of course that's interesting) but stats, like 5 left, started in League 2, ended up in the champ

As you'd expect most fail. Some succeed, some do very well indeed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Apr 2021 14:24

72 bus
Hound
Royals and Racers Probably because the management see them every day in training and we can`t see them as Reading FC can`t be ar$ed to stream any home games( some other clubs do !!)

Trying to get them clubs

I kind of get that to an extent, but it’s not a charity at this stage of their Reading careers. It’s very kind of us considering they are ooc I feel. They’d be better off trying to trial elsewhere

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Apr 2021 11:46

Hound
72 bus
Hound

Trying to get them clubs

I kind of get that to an extent, but it’s not a charity at this stage of their Reading careers. It’s very kind of us considering they are ooc I feel. They’d be better off trying to trial elsewhere

Aaron Kuhl in an interview after he left Reading was pretty upset about the fact that after he'd been told they were going to let him go, they didn't play him the rest of that season - he said it made it very difficult to find a new club. I'm guessing that looking at U23, U18 games is how scouts see players to recommend. I would have thought particularly this year, with Covid etc, taking random players into your club on trial might not be very popular. So it may be a change of strategy in general, or it may be something just this season because of the circumstances.

IMO, it's something they should be doing anyway - it's not about "being kind", it's about the club/academy showing that they do their best to help every one - when it comes to signing young players, our reputation is very important if we're going to be able to compete with Premier League clubs. And helping players to find jobs elsewhere is part of that reputation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2021 13:48

muirinho
Hound
72 bus

Trying to get them clubs

Aaron Kuhl in an interview after he left Reading was pretty upset about the fact that after he'd been told they were going to let him go, they didn't play him the rest of that season - he said it made it very difficult to find a new club. I'm guessing that looking at U23, U18 games is how scouts see players to recommend. I would have thought particularly this year, with Covid etc, taking random players into your club on trial might not be very popular. So it may be a change of strategy in general, or it may be something just this season because of the circumstances.

IMO, it's something they should be doing anyway - it's not about "being kind", it's about the club/academy showing that they do their best to help every one - when it comes to signing young players, our reputation is very important if we're going to be able to compete with Premier League clubs. And helping players to find jobs elsewhere is part of that reputation.

yep get you - though both are coming off 3? year pro contracts with us and our mid twenties in the case of Watson. Does come to a point where its up to their agent etc to sort them out

Fair enough with the Covid side, didnt really think of that - probably a big part of it.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Apr 2021 14:14

Snowball It's probably been done by someone, but in general, how do our U-23 released players tend to do eventually?

Any make the Prem?

Any end up in the Champ?

League 1?

etc

They tend to do better than most it is amazing how many teams in the English football league have a Reading fc graduate playing for them. There was a great article recently I will try and find it that said something like only 1 in a 100 youth players sign a pro deal and 1 in 10000 make it to the premier league I will see if I can find it.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Apr 2021 15:42

David Nyarko has caught the attention of Veljko Paunovic and the 18-year-old midfielder is set to be handed a professional contract this summer and have preseason with the first team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 2070746120

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Apr 2021 18:14

I'm expecting there will be more opportunities for academy players next season as we will undoubtedly have to sell some first teamers given the losses of £45m last season. Would like Tetek to play more (perhaps a loan) and expect we will resign Southwood

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 30 Apr 2021 12:25

Reading U23s vs. Wolves: Boyce-Clarke, Watson, Dorsett, Stickland, Samuels, East (c), Leavy, Azeez, Osorio, Camará, Onen.

Subs: Holden, Luzon, Holzman, Clarke.

Which familiar names are missing and therefore are either injured or potentially involved in tomorrow's game? Nevers. Lawless.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Apr 2021 13:07

1-0 1 min Onen

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2021 13:11

morganb Reading U23s vs. Wolves: Boyce-Clarke, Watson, Dorsett, Stickland, Samuels, East (c), Leavy, Azeez, Osorio, Camará, Onen.

Which familiar names are missing and therefore are either injured or potentially involved in tomorrow's game? Nevers. Lawless.

Lawless is on the bench I think

For those interested, I believe the game is being shown live via Wolves’ YouTube channel

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Apr 2021 13:19

morganb Reading U23s vs. Wolves: Boyce-Clarke, Watson, Dorsett, Stickland, Samuels, East (c), Leavy, Azeez, Osorio, Camará, Onen.

Nevers missed the last game as well, so not sure we can read too much into that. Although would like to see him involved in the final two games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2021 13:23

VP will apparently involve youngsters a bit more in the Norwich game tomorrow so that should be good for the likes of Tetek.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Apr 2021 13:27

Sutekh

VP will apparently involve youngsters a bit more in the Norwich game tomorrow so that should be good for the likes of Tetek.

Hopefully just off the bench and then give them a start in the Huddersfield game. Don't know how good it'd be for the youngsters to get spanked by the Champions.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Apr 2021 13:51

HT 2-0 (45mins OG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64womwSTGR0
3-0 63 mins Watson
4-0 83 mins Azeez
5-0 86 mins Azeez
FT 5-0 typical the U 23`s couldn`t buy a win when required- now out of playoff picture give a superb display !!

7490 posts