The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Royals and Racers » 13 Dec 2021 15:20

Non Cat 1 Academy do the double over us- pretty embarrassing.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Dec 2021 15:50

Next up for the U23’s is a Friday night December 17th visit to Birmingham FC in a PL 2 Div 2 match KO 7pm. The match is being played at Nuneaton Borough’s Liberty way ground.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Dec 2021 19:32

Sutekh
Rowley
Abrefa
Addo-Antoine
Purcell
Stickland
Holzman
P Ehibhatiomhan
Senga-Ngoyi
Nyarko
Vickers
Greaver
SUBS
Norcott
Nditi
Furlong
Hutchings
Kanu
Daniel-Spray
Hammond-Chambers-Borgnis

Is that 3 players?

Yellowcoat2 Bromley 1 Reading 3 AET

Ehibhatiomhan 31’
Holzman 105’
Furlong 120’

Reading will be at home to the winners of Scunthorpe United v Manchester United in the next round.

Man Utd 2-0 up after 26 mins
2-1 39 mins
4-2 63 mins
F-T 4-2- cracking match in prospect in January at the Select Car Leasing stadium(Thursday 13th possibly)

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Dec 2021 08:05

PL Cup group C after today’s matches
1 Derby P 4 pts 10
2 Charlton P 4 pts 7
3 Reading P 4 pts 3
4 Norwich P 4 pts 2

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 Dec 2021 14:35

Royals and Racers
Sutekh
Rowley
Abrefa
Addo-Antoine
Purcell
Stickland
Holzman
P Ehibhatiomhan
Senga-Ngoyi
Nyarko
Vickers
Greaver
SUBS
Norcott
Nditi
Furlong
Hutchings
Kanu
Daniel-Spray
Hammond-Chambers-Borgnis

Is that 3 players?

Yellowcoat2 Bromley 1 Reading 3 AET

Ehibhatiomhan 31’
Holzman 105’
Furlong 120’

Reading will be at home to the winners of Scunthorpe United v Manchester United in the next round.

Man Utd 2-0 up after 26 mins
2-1 39 mins
4-2 63 mins
F-T 4-2- cracking match in prospect in January at the Select Car Leasing stadium(Thursday 13th possibly)

As i thought the match is on Thursday January 13th KO 7pm sure to be live on MUTV

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Dec 2021 08:59

Royals and Racers Next up for the U23’s is a Friday night December 17th visit to Birmingham FC in a PL 2 Div 2 match KO 7pm. The match is being played at Nuneaton Borough’s Liberty way ground.

Postponed due to the Covid outbreak at Reading.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 18 Dec 2021 07:49

Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers Next up for the U23’s is a Friday night December 17th visit to Birmingham FC in a PL 2 Div 2 match KO 7pm. The match is being played at Nuneaton Borough’s Liberty way ground.

Postponed due to the Covid outbreak at Reading.

Rearranged for Sunday March 27th KO 1pm- same venue

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Dec 2021 18:06

Dorsett looks to be doing well in League 2 (stats taken off Twitter) -

League Two Clearances by U21s:

1C. Taylor - 78
2 J. Dorsett - 62
3 A. Mitchell - 58

League Two Tackles Won by U21s:

=1 H. Kyprianou - 37
=1 J. Dorsett - 37
3 F. Azaz - 35

(U21 on 1st August 2021)
Last edited by morganb on 24 Dec 2021 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2021 10:52

morganb Dorsett looks to be doing well in League 2 (stats taken off Twitter) -

League Two Clearances by U21s:

1⃣ C. Taylor - 78
2⃣ J. Dorsett - 62
3⃣ A. Mitchell - 58

League Two Tackles Won by U21s:

=1 H. Kyprianou - 37
=1 J. Dorsett - 37
3⃣ F. Azaz - 35

(U21 on 1st August 2021)

yes been keeping half an eye on him and seen he'd been starting each week. Nice to see him progressing, only very young still

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 27 Dec 2021 21:34

Confirmed by Louie Holzman, who i had a quick chat with today at Bracknell`s match that Harvey Maunder Royals talented youngster who has been absent for ages has done his ACL.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 Dec 2021 17:53

Met Police club development coach Pete Augustine as joined Reading- replacing Mehmet Ali ?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Jan 2022 15:25

Next up for the U23`s is the long trip up to play Sunderland in a PL 2 div 2 match on Monday January 10th KO 7pm. The game is being played at the Eppleton Colliery welfare ground.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2022 15:33

I hope we can start to get some of these youngsters competing and playing in our first team squad. Our club should be centred entirely around our academy but we have let too many slip by in recent years and our current situation where we've had to let go of other promising players won't help us in the slightest either and we will probably lose more this summer who will end up going on to be regulars in a Championship team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2022 16:59

YorkshireRoyal99 I hope we can start to get some of these youngsters competing and playing in our first team squad. Our club should be centred entirely around our academy but we have let too many slip by in recent years and our current situation where we've had to let go of other promising players won't help us in the slightest either and we will probably lose more this summer who will end up going on to be regulars in a Championship team.

To be fair, we're arguably playing ones who aren't ready these days. Hard to see us play even more.

Though, we certainly went through a 3 or 4 year phase where we skipped over players who should have been given chances and have since proved they were good enough.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2022 21:57

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I hope we can start to get some of these youngsters competing and playing in our first team squad. Our club should be centred entirely around our academy but we have let too many slip by in recent years and our current situation where we've had to let go of other promising players won't help us in the slightest either and we will probably lose more this summer who will end up going on to be regulars in a Championship team.

To be fair, we're arguably playing ones who aren't ready these days. Hard to see us play even more.

Though, we certainly went through a 3 or 4 year phase where we skipped over players who should have been given chances and have since proved they were good enough.

I think our hand has been forced this season given the fact we started the season without enough first team players and how depleted our squad has been throughout the season, we've been left without much choice in that regard. I understand what you're saying though.

However, in more "normal" circumstances, I do think these young players should be given more of a chance. Maybe not like this season where it's not uncommon for 6+ U23 players to be in our matchday squad, but a couple of stand-out players deserve a chance or if not, gaining some valuable loan experience at the likes of Oxford, Wycombe or Swindon would be useful.

A prime example would be Sam Smith. We've struggled for attacking options and goals all season and he did well for Cheltenham in League Two on loan last season and I believe he's hit something like a dozen for Cambridge in League One. I don't think he would have set the world alight in the Championship, but a few fleeting substitute appearances throughout his time with us was likely never going to be enough and you can see with Plange at Derby now, under the right guidance and circumstances you can put yourself in the spotlight.

Like I've said though, I don't think it would have happened due to so many youngsters being in the squad but I don't doubt there will be one or two in there who perhaps deserve a greater opportunity in amongst first team players, such as maybe Tetek in midfield when he's fit again. We have seen how key Rinomhota has been for the last few seasons as well as Richards last season, a couple of stand out academy talents that were moulded into first team players by playing alongside senior professionals. Any academy products that we do sell lower down should definitely have buy back clauses of sell on clauses involved minimum.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2022 22:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

I think our hand has been forced this season given the fact we started the season without enough first team players and how depleted our squad has been throughout the season, we've been left without much choice in that regard. I understand what you're saying though.

However, in more "normal" circumstances, I do think these young players should be given more of a chance. Maybe not like this season where it's not uncommon for 6+ U23 players to be in our matchday squad, but a couple of stand-out players deserve a chance or if not, gaining some valuable loan experience at the likes of Oxford, Wycombe or Swindon would be useful.

A prime example would be Sam Smith. We've struggled for attacking options and goals all season and he did well for Cheltenham in League Two on loan last season and I believe he's hit something like a dozen for Cambridge in League One. I don't think he would have set the world alight in the Championship, but a few fleeting substitute appearances throughout his time with us was likely never going to be enough and you can see with Plange at Derby now, under the right guidance and circumstances you can put yourself in the spotlight.

Like I've said though, I don't think it would have happened due to so many youngsters being in the squad but I don't doubt there will be one or two in there who perhaps deserve a greater opportunity in amongst first team players, such as maybe Tetek in midfield when he's fit again. We have seen how key Rinomhota has been for the last few seasons as well as Richards last season, a couple of stand out academy talents that were moulded into first team players by playing alongside senior professionals. Any academy products that we do sell lower down should definitely have buy back clauses of sell on clauses involved minimum.

Don't think Smith ever looked good enough to be honest. Would not be my pick of the forwards we let go without giving much of a chance.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Jan 2022 08:31

Tickets now on sale for the FA Youth cup 4th round home match against Man Utd on Thursday January 13th KO 7pm

£3 for Over 18's and £1 for Under 18's in advance. Ticket prices will increase to £5 and £2 on the evening of the match.
Seating will be unreserved in the lower west stand. Parking free of charge.
We encourage supporters to purchase in advance and select the Print at Home or load to Access Card option for your tickets.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2022 08:40

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal To be fair, we're arguably playing ones who aren't ready these days. Hard to see us play even more.

Don't think Smith ever looked good enough to be honest. Would not be my pick of the forwards we let go without giving much of a chance.

Smith's that bit older as well - and I think we'd probably given him some stupidly fat contract which we couldn't renew on the same terms. Chuffed to see him do well though, but I don't think he would have done a lot in the champ.

It was that awful season that we let go the likes of Dickie, Stacey and Fosu (and latterly Cooper) that is really making us look silly at the moment, but think we've been a bit better in the last few years. Definitely an argument that the Stam era and some of his decisions were whats left us in our current hole

Clarke is a good example of someone who is probably playing before they are ready but is definitely one we want to hold onto at the moment. Azeez likewise (who if he hadn't been injured would have played more than Plange).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2022 08:56

Smith is definitely starting to improve but L1 seems like it will be the top level for him as a regular starter at least - if he does hit Champ at some point he'll likely be 25/26 at the youngest - so definitely the right call to move him on when we did.

In terms of minutes played in L1 this year, he is a 1 in 3 striker. Which I think is always a decent guide that he is at the right level.

Has 11 in total this year, 4 in the Trophy though, which I'm always wary of as have no idea on the strength of the opposition due to changes or being an U23 side.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jan 2022 09:23

Yeah I don't think Smith would have been the difference maker but I think he could have been an option for us this season. I wasn't too disappointed that we moved him on and I still aren't but he can't have done any worse than Puscas, at least from a goals perspective anyway.

We should be keeping hold of Clarke and Azeez for now and keep them in the first team frame as they've taken their opportunities this season with some decent performances and end product.

7490 posts