The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7485 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2022 14:17

I did a look a couple of years ago and the Academy was delivering a vast number of first team appearances.

We went through a duff pat h around Stam’s time when he oxf*rd up with loads. But we were easily back on track by the time Rino had completed his break through season.

It wasn’t even that bad under Stam with Richards and Kelly

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2022 14:36

Don’t think there’s much doubt getting cat1 back is a priority. Hopefully just a year off

Tbf there was noise on here last year the academy was a mess despite some decent players coming through. Esp in the younger age groups. Had some limited insight into it and not heard anything to contradict that

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jul 2022 14:42

Nameless
NewCorkSeth
Nameless
Seems very strange for a long standing Academy to be downgraded with no apparent warning (Burnley had a year to sort out issues). Suspect the new appointments have been designed to resolve what ever the issue is and we’ll be reinstated, but probably not until next season.
Bearwood is not just about the Academy of course.....

Maybe the club did get a warning? It was in the spam folder of Paunos email..

Unlikely as he had nothing to do with the Academy....
The Burnley and Birmingham situations didn’t just come out of the blue, if we had been on a warning it would surely have been known about ?

Twas a joke dear brother. I'm sure it won't be long before someone starts talking about Chinese culture and losing face while suggesting our owners knew and didn't tell anyone.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jul 2022 14:44

Hound Don’t think there’s much doubt getting cat1 back is a priority. Hopefully just a year off

Tbf there was noise on here last year the academy was a mess despite some decent players coming through. Esp in the younger age groups. Had some limited insight into it and not heard anything to contradict that

It was. Total mess. U9s through to U14s just a shambles in terms of communication, quality of training etc. Sessions put on were no different to what you would find at JPL Clubs etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jul 2022 14:49

paultheroyal
Hound Don’t think there’s much doubt getting cat1 back is a priority. Hopefully just a year off

It was. Total mess. U9s through to U14s just a shambles in terms of communication, quality of training etc. Sessions put on were no different to what you would find at JPL Clubs etc.

Yeah basically that. Poor coaching, poor timekeeping and lack of direction

Heard some very unflattering comparisons to Wycombe who don’t even have a proper academy

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jul 2022 15:54

Thinking about it now, our academy struggled in the league last season because we released a lot of regular U23 players as well as we reduced our staff numbers significantly, I believe some of this stretches back to when Gomes was at the club, citing that we had something ridiculous like 70 players on the books at the time and we needed to reduce the numbers. Probably part of a cumulation of all the aspects that went wrong there as to why we've lost it.

Some proper management though and we should have it back within a couple of years I reckon.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jul 2022 23:59

Big blow imho. We haven’t done much right in the last decade or so but that’s always been the one thing we can be happy about.

Disappointed.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 20 Jul 2022 07:30

Had a quick word with Noel Hunt before last night’s game at Wimbledon-he’s on crutches presently. He confirmed that the U23’s( and U18’s) will be playing in the professional development league(PDL) this season. In the U23’s it’s 2 divisions North and South, and i think we play all the teams in the south home and away and all the teams in the North once( 50% home and 50% away). We will also be in the PL cup.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 13:18

Royals and Racers Had a quick word with Noel Hunt before last night’s game at Wimbledon-he’s on crutches presently. He confirmed that the U23’s( and U18’s) will be playing in the professional development league(PDL) this season. In the U23’s it’s 2 divisions North and South, and i think we play all the teams in the south home and away and all the teams in the North once( 50% home and 50% away). We will also be in the PL cup.

If correct then last seasons competition had the following clubs involved:

Ipswich
Bristol C
Cardiff
Charlton
Millwall
Colchester
Watford
Swansea
QPR

Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Hull
Wigan
Crewe
Peterborough
Barnsley

Plus the other clubs like Burnley and Birmingham who have dropped down a level.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jul 2022 13:35

Stranded
Royals and Racers Had a quick word with Noel Hunt before last night’s game at Wimbledon-he’s on crutches presently. He confirmed that the U23’s( and U18’s) will be playing in the professional development league(PDL) this season. In the U23’s it’s 2 divisions North and South, and i think we play all the teams in the south home and away and all the teams in the North once( 50% home and 50% away). We will also be in the PL cup.

Ipswich
Bristol C
Cardiff
Charlton
Millwall
Colchester
Watford
Swansea
QPR

Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Hull
Wigan
Crewe
Peterborough
Barnsley

All the details are on youth hawk - see below.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/2022 ... t_League_2

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/2022 ... 8_League_2

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Jul 2022 13:45

Cat 2 clubs = Barnsley, Birmingham, Bristol City, Burnley, Cardiff, Charlton, Colchester, Coventry, Crewe, Hull, Ipswich, Millwall, Peterborough, QPR, Reading, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Swansea, Watford, Wigan

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 20 Jul 2022 14:41

andrew1957
Stranded

Ipswich
Bristol C
Cardiff
Charlton
Millwall
Colchester
Watford
Swansea
QPR

Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Hull
Wigan
Crewe
Peterborough
Barnsley

Thanks for the links- i see that the PDL have followed the PL 2 in making it an U 21 league.
Talking to Noel i got the impression that Reading are hoping that they will be restored to Cat 1 at the earlest opportunity ie 1 season only in PDL before returning to PL 2.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jul 2022 15:05

Royals and Racers
andrew1957
Stranded

Ipswich
Bristol C
Cardiff
Charlton
Millwall
Colchester
Watford
Swansea
QPR

Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Hull
Wigan
Crewe
Peterborough
Barnsley

Thanks for the links- i see that the PDL have followed the PL 2 in making it an U 21 league.
Talking to Noel i got the impression that Reading are hoping that they will be restored to Cat 1 at the earlest opportunity ie 1 season only in PDL before returning to PL 2.

Isn't the PL2 an u21 league but something like 6 members of the matchday squad can be over that age - keeper may also be exempt from the age criteria.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 20 Jul 2022 15:27

Stranded
Royals and Racers

Isn't the PL2 an u21 league but something like 6 members of the matchday squad can be over that age - keeper may also be exempt from the age criteria.

5 overage outfield players plus an overage goalkeeper as well.
The U18`s PDL league mirror images the U21. So whereas they used to meet just the southern teams in the PL U 18 league, now there will be 5 trips up north to play teams from the Northern section.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 21 Jul 2022 14:52

Cat 2 academy now confirmed by the club.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2022 15:25

Royals and Racers Cat 2 academy now confirmed by the club.

Eamonn Dolan will be spinning in his grave - a top-notch academy was his true memorial at the club, and now they've buggered that up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jul 2022 15:31

Dirk Gently

Eamonn Dolan will be spinning in his grave - a top-notch academy was his true memorial at the club, and now they've buggered that up.

I'm sure everything could've been managed better, but I think the explanation they give in the post is valid. I'm sure that when they re-apply for CAT 1, it'll be granted, now everything has moved over to the new training complex.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Jul 2022 15:34

Dirk Gently

It's a shame they've botched up his replacements. Roddy by all accounts was a complete arrogant tool and the less said about Gilkes the better.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Jul 2022 14:20

Dirk Gently

Think this will be a 1 season hiatus rather than a complete disaster.
Not good that things have slipped but have heard we are already back within the required standards and it’s a shame we can’t get reaccredited straight away.
But we should never have got in the situation where the audit wasn’t just a formality.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2022 14:22

Bowen is proving to be top notch and excelling in his role. I expect the club will turn this around very quickly.

7485 posts