B F T G_brum

165 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: B F T G_brum

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2013 01:13

P!ssed Off Tbh I came away from the match thinking that HRK helped out well in defence.
So what if not every single tackle and interception was successful?
Probably the same moaners who are always annoyed that Guthrie's long ball accuracy is not 100%.

I don't get where all this HRK hate is coming from? Hes been good so far.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Sep 2013 01:15

NewCorkSeth
P!ssed Off Tbh I came away from the match thinking that HRK helped out well in defence.
Probably the same moaners who are always annoyed that Guthrie's long ball accuracy is not 100%.

Bit of a slow start to the season, but he had no preseason, due to injury, so what do people expect.
Last couple of games he's done well.

It's pretty obvious why the same people say they don't think he's had a good game each week.
They always have to mention that they've "always said he's shit".
If they think HRK's "always been shit", then why should anyone care about their match rating for him, obviously they're deluded.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2013 01:21

Anyone who's criticising ALF for being offside is pretty clueless. He was always on the shoulder and when he was caught out it was by a tiny margin. Several of those were down to the pass not being played quickly enough. It just shows a basic lack of understanding of playing off the defender's shoulder.

By contrast, Pog was caught offside about 3 times to ALF's about 10. But every single time he was several yards offside for no reason, rather than having tried to bend his run or go off a shoulder.

He also held the ball up plenty, did his fair share of chasing and hassling and brought others into the game too. IIRC he also gave the keeper and defence the problem that led to Guthrie scoring the first freekick and I believe won the second.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2013 01:25

Finally, LMFAO @ McCarthy kicking it right at Zigic. Dangerous game to play that one. But well worth it given the outcome today.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2013 01:25

he hasn't progressed from being promising. Looks cumbersome, too muscley for a pacey winger. Especially as he seems to rely on pace rather than a trick to get past his man.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Sep 2013 01:54

I just find it cringeworthy when they sing to Brum "Your support is shite" after we go 2-0 up having pretty much sat in silence for an hour. Brum didn't bring that many but they made a fair bit of noise.[/quote]
"You support a load of shit". They were the ones singing "Your support is shit".[/quote]

No Ian - WE actually started singing it ourselves after going 2-0 up. Embarrassing seeing as we'd sat in silence up til then.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2013 02:06

MmmMonsterMunch
Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch I just find it cringeworthy when they sing to Brum "Your support is shite" after we go 2-0 up having pretty much sat in silence for an hour. Brum didn't bring that many but they made a fair bit of noise.

"You support a load of shit". They were the ones singing "Your support is shit".

No Ian - WE actually started singing it ourselves after going 2-0 up. Embarrassing seeing as we'd sat in silence up til then.

Well not where I was we didn't. I certainly didn't hear that.

For much of the second half they were as quiet as we were. Apart from about 6 blokes at the back.

Also, kindly learn to quote.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 29 Sep 2013 02:28

sandman .
Guthrie 7.5 Almost undid his work a couple of times late on messing around with the ball in front of our box. Lucky with the first free kick good finish for the second. Still a lobster chucking dickhead with a shit haircut though, in fairness to the barber, Danny's head was probably in the wrong place when it was getting done.

That's probably the nicest thing you've ever said about him to be fair.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 29 Sep 2013 03:50

Ian Royal Anyone who's criticising ALF for being offside is pretty clueless.

I think anyone criticizing anything about this game, or this team, too much right now is a bit clueless. You'd think we lost 2-0 if you didn't know better. We've had our best start in God knows how many years and some here are reacting like we are just above the drop zone and not 6th.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Sep 2013 07:17

Ian Royal Finally, LMFAO @ McCarthy kicking it right at Zigic. Dangerous game to play that one. But well worth it given the outcome today.

Zigic was the one playing games, and dumb ones at that ! 2-0 down with minutes to go why would you slow the game up by stopping the keeper getting the ball into play ? He even held his hands up once to pretend he wasn't doing it then when right back and obstructed McCarthy. Inevitable yellow and precious time wasted. Clueless and what he saw to argue about escapes me ....

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 29 Sep 2013 08:10

P!ssed Off
NewCorkSeth

Bit of a slow start to the season, but he had no preseason, due to injury, so what do people expect.
Last couple of games he's done well.

It's pretty obvious why the same people say they don't think he's had a good game each week.
They always have to mention that they've "always said he's shit".
If they think HRK's "always been shit", then why should anyone care about their match rating for him, obviously they're deluded.

It's a funny one. I've generally been a fan, he has a brilliant touch and a great shot but he has always been fairly inconsistent. At key times he his prone to smashing a cross straight out of play, just when you desperately needed a killer ball. This was entirely forgiveable as a young player breaking through and he just needed games and last season he got them and didn't disappoint. Fulham away being the obvious highlight so you can see why the club gave him a new contract and I expected him to be a key player this season, as did many I'm sure.

Yet he's been caught in possession constantly all season, and those few occasions where he has wriggled past his defender his crossing has been poor and yesterday was the worst game he has had in years.

I think part of it his he is a known player now. The prem season marked his name, so now the opposition know his strengths and weaknesses and he needs to be less predictable. Also perhaps he expected to be the first name on the team sheet and suddenly in comes Drenthe.

Who knows, but if we had Drenthe and McAnuff fit then he'd be very lucky to keep his place. Hopefully he'll pull through this bad patch of form but theres part of me that sees the cynically shit form after getting the bumper contract to be honest. Contrast with Pearce who looks back to his best.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Sep 2013 08:46

Getting better and better.

More clean sheets already achieved this season than under Mcdermott last season.

First home win by more than one goal since 6/4/2012.

I think people are beginning to take Mcarthy for granted. When a high ball is put into in or around the six yard box, you can pretty safely assume he will come and safely claim it. That was never the case with Federici and it makes us look so much more secure.

Having sorted the defence, there's still some work to do in the final third and it's worrying we didn't score frm open play but I've never seen Pog have more touches in a game and with Sharp bolstering the forward options this should improve. Only main concern is the mounting injury list.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Sep 2013 08:53

Ian Royal Guthrie - 9 MOTM - only a few wasted passes away from a 10

While of course these marking efforts are entirely subjective and therefore cannot be 'wrong' I must admit that to think Guthrie was anywhere near a 10 makes me worry that when we see someone actually hacve an outstanding 90 minutes the marking scheme is going to have to stretch to 12, or even 13.
Guthrie was pretty good, except for most of the last 20 when he was clearly struggling. He rated a solid 8 IMHO, 9 and 10 should recognise truely outstanding performances and yesterday was solid without being inspirational.
We are in danger of grade inflation I feel...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Sep 2013 09:11

'greed, I'd give Guthrie an 8/10 yday and one of those points is probably for the free-kick

Overall that was as routine a 2-0 home win as it gets. Never troubled by a limited Birmingham side. If I were to be critical it would be to say that we still don't look fluid moving forward and I thought ALF and HRK had rather average games.

Thought Pogrebnyak had a very good game (particularly first half). As Schards remarked, never seen him have so many touches in one game.

Finally an observation about people saying we're only 6th. IMHO if we continue to accrue points at the current rate (2ppg) then we'll get automatic promotion. The reason we're only 6th is because the top 6 sides have hardly played each other yet - QPR, Leicester, and Burnley haven't played anyone else in the top 6 yet. Reading and Forest have only played Watford as far as I know.

This will all change nxt weekend when Reading lose away at Burnley :mrgreen:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 29 Sep 2013 09:32

Anyone notice how when the centre backs are marked from our goal kicks, McCarthy will ping it out to thd full back, getting more accurate every week. I've seen Barca and Swansea do it for years.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Sep 2013 10:04

MmmMonsterMunch I just find it cringeworthy when they sing to Brum "Your support is shite" after we go 2-0 up having pretty much sat in silence for an hour. Brum didn't bring that many but they made a fair bit of noise.

"You support a load of shit". They were the ones singing "Your support is shit".[/quote]

No Ian - WE actually started singing it ourselves after going 2-0 up. Embarrassing seeing as we'd sat in silence up til then.[/quote]

We did sing your support is shit at 2-0
I thought it was sarcasm!

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 29 Sep 2013 10:08

Schards#2 Getting better and better.

More clean sheets already achieved this season than under Mcdermott last season.

First home win by more than one goal since 6/4/2012.

We're playing poorer opposition tbf but long may it continue

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Sep 2013 10:11

[qu
sandman .
a shit haircut though, in fairness to the barber, Danny's head was probably in the wrong place when it was getting done.

:lol:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Sep 2013 10:12

NewCorkSeth

We need a scapegoat every game - that's the rule.

Anyway, marks/10

Birmingham 3 very slow in defence
The crowd 4 quite low
Referee 6 competent but stopped the game quite bizarrely when we were through and didn't book enough player
Reading's passing 8 getting better every game

MacCarthy 7 needs to work on his distribution, but he'll save long shots all day long
Gunter 9 best game for us
Bridge/Pearce/Morrison 8 we are benefitting from a stable defence
Baird 7 ok
Guthrie 9 not as influential as in recent games, but two goals were much needed
McCleary 8 really tricky and constantly a threat
Robson-Kanu 7 played well
Pogrebnyak 10 obviously
Alf ?

Alf had a good game and ran tirelessly into good positions where he could receive passes, and he must have been close to being onside lots yesterday. I don't quite see him linking play together in our new team of fluent passing. It probably is best if he is used as an impact sub and Pog or Pog and Sharp start the games.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 29 Sep 2013 10:25

Handsome Man
NewCorkSeth

We need a scapegoat every game - that's the rule.

Nothing to do with needing a scapegoat every game. Fact of the matter was that HRK was simply poor. If he stopped trying the ridiculous step overs every time he gets the ball he might stand a chance to beat his man. Will be interesting see what Chris Coleman who was at the game with his SSN g'friend thought. Or we will find out when he picks his next Wales team. He will have been pleased however by Gunter's performance I imagine.

165 posts