Wayne Bridge pedigree

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Wayne Bridge pedigree

by Cripple Creek » 21 Oct 2013 17:31

I feel a bit of a prat opening a new thread just so I can seek some information but am going ahead nonetheless.
Living in Oz it is proving very difficult for me to see any games this season, unlike the premiership where watching online was generally fairly easy.
What I am curious about really is Wayne Bridge's performances. I always thought he was a terrific left back when I was living in the UK, real quality and I suppose he arguably has as much pedigree (yes, yes, it's a horrible term but can't think of another way of putting it) as anyone to have played for Reading in terms of the fact that he has played almost his entire career at a very high level domestically and has been an important player for England.
What I would like to know (sorry it's taken me a while to get around to it) is how this shows so far this season. I imagine he is considerably better than most left backs in the division. Does he stand out as someone much better than others in the same position and are there any real qualities when you watch him play that make you say "ah, yes, there's a distinguished player". And, if so, what are his standout qualities in this division?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: Wayne Bridge pedigree

by YateleyRoyal » 21 Oct 2013 17:33

Damn. I thought this was gonna be a thread about him doing the WWF move.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Oct 2013 17:34

yes, he stands out as better than most of the opposition, and most of our own team. he pretty much oozes quality, is solid as a rock, as well as doing a fair bit offensively.
usually our first outlet ball from the back, much like shorey, but better,imo

walking past his stats poster at thje madejski the other day i noticed he'd made about 45 passes and ~3 of them had been long
only made about 4 tackles all season, but thats mainly cos he doesnt really need to, usualy just closes people out positionally

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Oct 2013 18:00

IMO good but could do better.....

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 21 Oct 2013 18:06

I enjoy watching his skill :D and he spends a fair amount of time in the oppositions half

_royal

by _royal » 21 Oct 2013 19:18

Very reliable, rarely puts a foot wrong. A class above other left backs in the league.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Oct 2013 20:05

I'd describe him as a better version of Chris Armstrong. He doesn't have Shorey's technique or Bertrand's pace, but he reads the game well, and his movement and control are very good. I haven't seen any of his "poor" games but to me he seems extremely dependable. He's not as good as Shorey at his peak, but he's the second best left back I've seen for Reading.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2013 20:36

A much much better version of Bodin in my opinion.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Oct 2013 20:48

Player of the season so far for me. Class above this league which he proved last season with Brighton and now this season with us. Our shrewdest signing at left back since Nicky Shorey

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2013 20:59

SCIAG I'd describe him as a better version of Chris Armstrong. He doesn't have Shorey's technique or Bertrand's pace, but he reads the game well, and his movement and control are very good. I haven't seen any of his "poor" games but to me he seems extremely dependable. He's not as good as Shorey at his peak, but he's the second best left back I've seen for Reading.

I'd probably go with this.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 21 Oct 2013 21:02

I'm going to put it out there and say that he's probably the best left-back we've ever had. I'm sure someone will claim that he's not as good as Reading FC and Newbury Town legend Steve Richardson, but he is.

It's close between him and an interested Nicky Shorey for best ever, but his second Premier League season and second stint here has forever tainted my opinion of him.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 21 Oct 2013 21:45

YateleyRoyal Damn. I thought this was gonna be a thread about him doing the WWF move.

It's WWE actually.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Oct 2013 21:51

Class. Not the very best as a defender, but he offers so much in terms of distribution from the back that he's worth the occasional time he gets caught out.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 21 Oct 2013 23:15

Bridge is class. He links up very well with the attack, is skillful on the ball and can beat an opponent. His achilles heel is his pace (or lack of it) but this is generally more than made up for by his positional sense and his good footballing brain. The only downside is when he ventures well into the opponents half (where he is very effective) and they counter-attack quickly. In those circumstances he can be caught out of position and punished for that lack of pace. But he is a class act and a great addition to our squad.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Oct 2013 23:33

He's excellent just as I expected he would be - better than Shorey 2005-7 by quite a stretch which says it all.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 21 Oct 2013 23:48

Royalee He's excellent just as I expected he would be - better than Shorey 2005-7 by quite a stretch which says it all.

So after 12 games you've seen enough to declare that's he's significantly better than a left back who played in a team that won the league with 106 points and went on to finish 8th in the Premier League, earning an England cap the process despite playing for Reading?

Don't get me wrong, I think the bloke is an absolute class act, but it's still early in the season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Oct 2013 23:53

Agreed. In fact I was about to post something similar:

He's been here 4-5 months and he's supposedly a better LB than the left back from our greatest team ever? Big fan but he has a way to go before he catches up with Shorey.

Right now I'd say he's close to Ian Harte as a left back nearing the end of his career, who has played at the highest level and has stepped into the team seamlessly.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 22 Oct 2013 02:50

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to this post. I always admired Bridge and confess to being surprised but also delighted that he is; A, playing outside the premiership and, B, playing for Reading. Glad to hear from everyone on here what an asset he is proving to be.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 22 Oct 2013 07:42

Royalee wrote: He's excellent just as I expected he would be - better than Shorey 2005-7 by quite a stretch which says it all.

Like a couple of posts from Sandman and The Royal We....I question how you can say Bridge is better than someone who played 267 games for Reading between 2001–2008 at left back after 12 games.

Your quote is like saying Adnan Januzaj at Man Utd after six appearances is better than Eric Cantona.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Oct 2013 07:48

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Royalee wrote: He's excellent just as I expected he would be - better than Shorey 2005-7 by quite a stretch which says it all.

Like a couple of posts from Sandman and The Royal We....I question how you can say Bridge is better than someone who played 267 games for Reading between 2001–2008 at left back after 12 games.

Your quote is like saying Adnan Januzaj at Man Utd after six appearances is better than Eric Cantona.

It's nothing like that at all.

It would be like United signing Andy Cole, and fans saying he was better than Cantona after 12 games. Which some might disagree with - but it wouldn't 'wrong'.