Who will be the next academy player to break into 1st Team

mambo3

Who will be the next academy player to break into 1st Team

by mambo3 » 28 Oct 2013 19:13

Jake Taylor

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Who will be the next academy player to break into 1st Te

by ZacNaloen » 28 Oct 2013 19:14

He's already played in the first team.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Oct 2013 19:24

Gozie

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Oct 2013 16:55

Doubt it will be any of the defenders.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Oct 2013 17:05

Reckon on Aaron Tshibola

DandyRoyal

by DandyRoyal » 29 Oct 2013 17:12

Since the beginning of the 2010 season the following academy players have appeared in the first team:

Taylor (2)
Obita (5)
McCarthy (37)
D'ath (1)
Samuel (1)

Of those McCarthy is obviously the big success and Obita looks set for further involvement with the first team. Will D'ath, Taylor and Samuel reach 50 appearances for Reading say? I think Samuel has a shot, I don't know enough about D'ath to judge and I don't think Taylor has what it takes at this level.

I guess if you want to think about the next academy player to play in the first team it would be a good idea to look at the first team squad, the competition they have between them and the team and with that in mind it is highly unlikely to be a GK, LB, RB, CB and midfield is pretty competitive too with Obita the up and comer there in part surely due to injuries. Ugwu is a good shout.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 01 Nov 2013 07:49

Craig Tanner when fully fit again after his recent injury.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Nov 2013 09:19

Hector, towards end of season when Pearce or Morro gets injured.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Nov 2013 09:48

The Real Sandhurst Royal Craig Tanner when fully fit again after his recent injury.

^This.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2013 13:21

DandyRoyal I guess if you want to think about the next academy player to play in the first team it would be a good idea to look at the first team squad, the competition they have between them and the team and with that in mind it is highly unlikely to be a GK, LB, RB, CB and midfield is pretty competitive too with Obita the up and comer there in part surely due to injuries. Ugwu is a good shout.

LB and CB are competitive? They're weak in depth so are two of the positions most likely to see an academy player plug a gap.

Tanner is a good shout though, or any player who can help solve our lack of a 'number 10' in the current squad.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 01 Nov 2013 19:01

Tanner always gets mentioned on here. How good is he, and how good could he become?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Nov 2013 22:31

urz13 Tanner always gets mentioned on here. How good is he, and how good could he become?

It's hard to judge potential. Nige spoke highly of his ability to pick a pass on the OS, and he has a fantastic left foot that produced plenty of set piece goals for the U18's last year. Physically he's still quite a way behind the likes of Obita in his age group, but imho he's as promising as any a prospect we've had since Gylf.

DandyRoyal

by DandyRoyal » 02 Nov 2013 00:13

Hoop Blah LB and CB are competitive? They're weak in depth so are two of the positions most likely to see an academy player plug a gap.

Tanner is a good shout though, or any player who can help solve our lack of a 'number 10' in the current squad.

I think LB is pretty competitive for sure, Cummings would be selected there ahead of anyone in the academy and he doesn't even play when Bridge is out, Kelly fills in, which I disagree with btw, I would rather not see Kelly at left back at all. At CB we have Pearce, Morrison, Gorkss, (Baird?) so probably nothing doing there either, although I like Hector a lot and would play him over Gorkss. Anyone know if there is a recall clause on his loan @ Aberdeen?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Nov 2013 12:07

DandyRoyal
Hoop Blah LB and CB are competitive? They're weak in depth so are two of the positions most likely to see an academy player plug a gap.

I think LB is pretty competitive for sure, Cummings would be selected there ahead of anyone in the academy and he doesn't even play when Bridge is out, Kelly fills in, which I disagree with btw, I would rather not see Kelly at left back at all. At CB we have Pearce, Morrison, Gorkss, (Baird?) so probably nothing doing there either, although I like Hector a lot and would play him over Gorkss. Anyone know if there is a recall clause on his loan @ Aberdeen?

What I was getting at was that if we had a youngster coming through who was anywhere near challenging, which I don't think we have, then left back would be a position that was up for grabs as neither Kelly or Cummings give us the balance and width out there that a proper lefty would.

As for centre half, we have 1 centre back to cover two positions and an option off the bench. Baird can play there, and to be fair Gunter played there for Wales recently, but your moving square pegs into round holes and making the team weaker elsewhere at the same time. A good natural centre half would stand a good chance of being involved this season.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Nov 2013 12:09

Nick Arnold is the only challenger at left back really, Shane Griffin looked extremely raw against Oman.

Nick Arnold seems to be doing reasonably well now he's established himself at Wycombe... until he gets injured again.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Nov 2013 16:15

He's also another right back surely.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Nov 2013 10:11

maffff Hector, towards end of season when Pearce or Morro gets injured.

Seems appropriate to reiterate this as a possibility since he's getting talked about so highly....

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Nov 2013 10:25

Either Johnson or Peters

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 05 Nov 2013 10:36

Hoop Blah He's also another right back surely.

Still the only challenger. :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Nov 2013 14:08

Talking of needing another left[/centre] back, we did recently sign Lasha Dvali - 18 year old Georgian from Skonto Riga...... at that age he must be signed with one eye on the first team?