Billy Sharp - permanent?

126 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Billy Sharp - permanent?

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2014 18:41

winchester_royal Fine by me tbh. Thought he was bang average, and if we are going to bring in another striker would rather it was someone with pace who will offer something different to the players we've already got.

Disappointed in that it leaves us light on options, but otherwise this.

On the plus side, it's an opening for Gozi.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 22 Jan 2014 18:43

floyd__streete
SPARTA Didn't you say we had agreed a deal with Southampton? Frustratingly that must mean there is next to nothing in the pot, contrary to more nonsense from SJM about him ensuring there would be at the very least some money!

Yet still people eat the sh*t Madejski spouts/spouted in his radio interview following the Wigan game.

+1

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 22 Jan 2014 18:58

Good luck to him, it's a shame we couldn't get him permanently. I hope for his sake he stays there for a good few years.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2014 19:25

Not unhappy about Sharp going back to Doncaster.
The only thing is what does this say about us?
Will we carry on for the rest of the season with just two proper strikers in Pog and Alf?
Does it mean that we will be bringing in a different striker?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Jan 2014 19:53

There could be another side to this story rather than the all too predictable "this proves we have no money!!!" brigade; that Adkins has seen him close up and realised that actually, he isn't that great. It may also explain why he has gone to Doncaster rather than a Forest, a Leeds or a Brighton.

I would also venture that this means the chances of ALF leaving in this window are close to zero.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 22 Jan 2014 20:52

Asfrustrating as it is, I'm colsoling myself with the fact that we are 6th, with an injury ravaged squad, and we're seeing some kids get a look in!

If we can't bring anyone in this month, Hector may get a chance to shine, Taylor is getting game time now and not looking out of place, Obita has been a revelation this season and has the best delivery in the side; and if we now get to see what Ugwu can do up front, and maybe another young'un, then I'll take that with the injured players coming back soon.

For what has been a crap season with everything off-field, and the disruption on it, we are doing remarkably well. All is not lost, not by a long way!

Mr Angry There could be another side to this story rather than the all too predictable "this proves we have no money!!!" brigade; that Adkins has seen him close up and realised that actually, he isn't that great. It may also explain why he has gone to Doncaster rather than a Forest, a Leeds or a Brighton.

I would also venture that this means the chances of ALF leaving in this window are close to zero.

It was only a week ago that Adkins reiterated his desire to bring Sharp back. The club have once again let the manager down, albeit this time he may be more understanding about why. Still not on though!

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 22 Jan 2014 21:08

maffff Better than a night in with Nick, couple of bottles of Muscadet and a few poppers...

Don't poppers make your your arshole big

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 22 Jan 2014 21:10

Most annoying thing about this is that we only have 2 strikers, Sharp didn't look the best but without him we wouldn't have won a game in December....

Although this could bring a good opportunity for Gozie Ugwu to break into the side, love seeing academy lads come through so I wouldn't mind this. Wish we did have more than 2 proven strikers though. And before someone says it, Nick Blackman is not a striker. He's a winger, end of.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2014 21:23

Bristol Paul
floyd__streete
SPARTA Didn't you say we had agreed a deal with Southampton? Frustratingly that must mean there is next to nothing in the pot, contrary to more nonsense from SJM about him ensuring there would be at the very least some money!

Yet still people eat the sh*t Madejski spouts/spouted in his radio interview following the Wigan game.

+1

I thought he might have changed but I should have known better. The 'business genius' f8cked up the sale big time and still had the cheek to give the real supporters of the club the mushroom treatment.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Jan 2014 21:32

None of the other top 10 clubs came in for him, so may be his stock isn't that high. I personally like him as a player, so I wish him well for the future.

I am not sure what it says about our predicament at the moment and hopefully we didn't sign him because we couldn't afford to.

I can't see that Sharp and Alf could play upfront together, so if we are looking to play 4-4-2 in more of the games may be Adkins wants 3 strikers that he can rotate.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 22 Jan 2014 21:48

EarleyRoyal16 Most annoying thing about this is that we only have 2 strikers, Sharp didn't look the best but without him we wouldn't have won a game in December....

Although this could bring a good opportunity for Gozie Ugwu to break into the side, love seeing academy lads come through so I wouldn't mind this. Wish we did have more than 2 proven strikers though. And before someone says it, Nick Blackman is not a striker. He's a winger, end of.

RACIST!!!!!!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 22 Jan 2014 21:56

EarleyRoyal16 Most annoying thing about this is that we only have 2 strikers, Sharp didn't look the best but without him we wouldn't have won a game in December....

A winger that can't cross? I'd like to see him play just behind the strikers personally.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jan 2014 22:10

Not fussed about missing out on sharp and whilst i don't trust RFC at all I don't think this is due to funding, it's more to do with us not needing him as we have super Alfie and don't need another similar player.

Blackman for me is a striker. Pog is good. Alfie is awesome. We just need one more decent striker, in Roberts' mould.

Still crying out for a CAM despite Akpan's good two games.

And a left back, despite Obita's good two games, although Obita's revelation reduces the urgency of this.

I utterly expect us to sign no one this transfer window but don't mind in the slightest if we don't because there's a very good reason and we've been told what it is. No lies this time, just relative honesty (at last), and that's fine by me.

If we lose no one, put up a good fight and scrape into the playoffs it'll be fine. Anton is a tosser. Sir John can't be blamed though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2014 22:14

blythspartan None of the other top 10 clubs came in for him, so may be his stock isn't that high. I personally like him as a player, so I wish him well for the future.

I am not sure what it says about our predicament at the moment and hopefully we didn't sign him because we couldn't afford to.

I think you can be pretty sure that you hope in vain. Adkins wanted Sharp and others. Nothing has happened then after Saturday's game he is suddenly telling Ady Williams that we might have to make do with the squad that we have and see what we can do as the injured players return.

Looks like once again Madejski has been big on the talk but is failing to produce the walk.

2 world wars, 1 world cup Not fussed about missing out on sharp and whilst i don't trust RFC at all I don't think this is due to funding, it's more to do with us not needing him as we have super Alfie and don't need another similar player.

Blackman for me is a striker. Pog is good. Alfie is awesome. We just need one more decent striker, in Roberts' mould.

Still crying out for a CAM despite Akpan's good two games.

And a left back, despite Obita's good two games, although Obita's revelation reduces the urgency of this.

I utterly expect us to sign no one this transfer window but don't mind in the slightest if we don't because there's a very good reason and we've been told what it is. No lies this time, just relative honesty (at last), and that's fine by me.

If we lose no one, put up a good fight and scrape into the playoffs it'll be fine. Anton is a tosser. Sir John can't be blamed though.

Oh yes he can. In his eagerness to sell, he appears to have completely screwed up any due diligence was that was undertaken. It is also looking increasingly likely that, at the turn of the year, he gave very public assurances about transfer funds for this window which aren't going to be delivered on. Given that, what is there to support your assertion of relative honesty and no lies?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2014 23:35

kwik-silva

A winger that can't cross? I'd like to see him play just behind the strikers personally.

Think he's a wide forward rather than a striker or a winger myself.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 23 Jan 2014 02:34

Quite sad that a club that last season was in the prem and spent practically nothing, then gets relegated, takes in £5milliom in transfer fees and parachute payments, and we still can't compete with the mighty Doncaster.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2014 08:25

Clutching at straws, but is it possible we passed on Sharp because he wasn't actually that good?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jan 2014 08:27

Big Ern Quite sad that a club that last season was in the prem and spent practically nothing, then gets relegated, takes in £5milliom in transfer fees and parachute payments, and we still can't compete with the mighty Doncaster.

It's Madejski's 'Reading Way'!

Why the f*ck did I believe him when he assured Dellor that there would be transfer funds available this window?!

Leopards, spots!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 23 Jan 2014 08:28

#AdkinsOUT

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jan 2014 09:18

Personally I don't think Sharp did anything whilst he was here to justify us signing him permanently. I was actually amazed at how slow he was.

Also I think it is rather telling he has joined Doncaster - if he was that good surely others would have been in for him, including Forest who need a striker and had him on loan last season. I'm assuming they also saw that he is not actually as good as he is hyped up to be.

126 posts