Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

by bcubed » 01 Jan 2014 20:02

Hadn't really seen much before today but he was excellent (relatively) in a poor game and looked our only real threat
As someone else said most of our players seem worried to make a mistake but he was prepared to take players on and shoot

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2014 20:06

kwik-silva I'm a little bit confused as to why Adkins moved him to LB when Taylor came on, seemed to kill him a little bit. Adkins unwillingness to change the shape of the team really confuses me. Let's be honest, what's the point in having a striker playing LB, you may as well just go to 3 at the back and push him further up the field.

Wasn't Adkins wanting him to play as a wing back and push up as soon and as much as he could?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 01 Jan 2014 20:08

RoyalBlue
kwik-silva I'm a little bit confused as to why Adkins moved him to LB when Taylor came on, seemed to kill him a little bit. Adkins unwillingness to change the shape of the team really confuses me. Let's be honest, what's the point in having a striker playing LB, you may as well just go to 3 at the back and push him further up the field.

Wasn't Adkins wanting him to play as a wing back and push up as soon and as much as he could?

We went three at the back, but Blackman was to fill in LB if we were tracking back, and bomb forward when we were on the attack. Adkins got his tictacs spot on today, and his subs!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2014 20:13

SPARTA
RoyalBlue

We went three at the back, but Blackman was to fill in LB if we were tracking back, and bomb forward when we were on the attack. Adkins got his tictacs spot on today, and his subs!

Subs yes, tactics no. We should have stuck to 4-4-2 rather than trying 4-1-2-1-2, which resulted in our worst spell of the game. It also had Williams on the right wing, where he didn't look at all comfortable. Then he stuck a striker at left back, as opposed to Taylor who actually knows how to play there. We should have gone to a weird 3-5-2 like in the last two matches, or else played Taylor at left back.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2014 20:27

SPARTA
RoyalBlue

I agree. Just wish he'd go for that sort of attacking approach right from the outset. IMO we look pretty good when we push forward at teams.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 01 Jan 2014 20:32

Blackman was fantastic today.

Really hope he can continue to develop and show up the moronic element of our fan base like Kebe and Long before him.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Jan 2014 20:56

Agreed. Have always thought he had potential. Has a good touch and gets the ball under control quickly and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet. Looked our quickest player as well today. I'd be inclined to play him more as a second forward, playing off Pog but happy for him to be on the wing too. He should take the set pieces too - much better delivery than Guthrie. Bloke next to me just moans constantly about him, so I'm always trying to be supportive

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 21:14

^ :D wouldn't you just like to wipe your sweaty arse cheeks all over his face everytime that a player like Blackman has a decent game?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Jan 2014 21:25

Well done Nick. Credit where credit is due.
Now go an nab a hatrick and do the kebe (not the socks one, the other one)

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 01 Jan 2014 22:01

Happy with him today :)

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 02 Jan 2014 07:39

Blackman played well against Forest....let's see more of it should he be selected next game if Adkins rotation policy permits!!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 02 Jan 2014 11:21

Since McDermott signed him I've struggled to see what either he or Adkins have seen in him. (Often brief) cameos in an inconsistent side weren't probably helping, however he didn't seem to take the opportunities when they came.
Yesterday v forest he showed what he could do. Took on players, looked our most dangerous player, made a couple of mistakes but nothing significant and easily did enough good stuff to make up for them. Cracking shot from distance. Motm. Well played nick. Just hope he can build on this now.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 02 Jan 2014 11:54

The new Stephen Hunt.

Has lowered people's expectations to such a point he now wins plaudits for running around a lot without achieving anything.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 02 Jan 2014 11:58

harry Since McDermott signed him I've struggled to see what either he or Adkins have seen in him. (Often brief) cameos in an inconsistent side weren't probably helping, however he didn't seem to take the opportunities when they came.
Yesterday v forest he showed what he could do. Took on players, looked our most dangerous player, made a couple of mistakes but nothing significant and easily did enough good stuff to make up for them. Cracking shot from distance. Motm. Well played nick. Just hope he can build on this now.

Which, with all due respect, is why they are managers and you are probably not, the player has potential and with a bit more encouragement could become a catalyst for greater improvement in the team generally, give me a team of triers over capricious prima donna talents everytime!

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 02 Jan 2014 12:47

urz13 He played well, he was MOTM but was hardly mind blowing. Had that been a good team performance, I doubt he would have stood out at all. I really don't think he's that good and he made some bad mistakes in the game too, but it's great to see him improving.

After the stick he's had recently, most of it fair, perhaps an Appreciation Thread is what is needed to mend the divide between the supporters and the player...

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Jan 2014 12:57

Definitely thought yesterday was his best game for us that I've seen. Thought he did ok at Leicester as well tbf.

Not convinced he'll necessarily be the player many of you seem to think he'll be, but I don't mind if I'm proven wrong on that front.

Let's not get too carried away though, that was a decentish performance in an otherwise pretty poor team performance, but still good to see him improving.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2014 19:20

Nice to hear Blackers is starting to deliver after the support and opportunities he's been given by management and coaching staff. One MotM doesn't a great player make and he's got some way to go to justify his fee. But this is a pleasant bit of news in a rather shit festive period Royalswise.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Jan 2014 16:39

Bump - having a good go again today it seems

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Jan 2014 20:17

The one shining light of the first half. The only player to look like making something happen.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 04 Jan 2014 20:18

winchester_royal The one shining light of the first half. The only player to look like making something happen.

+1