Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Jan 2014 18:09

Just got back. Well done young man - MOTM today by a mile. Hope he gets a run in the team.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

by SPARTA » 01 Jan 2014 18:12

Superb today! By far and away the best player out there for us. Much more effective that McAnuff has been down the left, and when he took a shot he hit the target, unlike the aforementioned.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Jan 2014 18:15

He looks hungry & up for it. Fair play to him. Glad he went for a shot as well - was a decent stop by their keeper.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2014 18:17

IN +

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Jan 2014 18:29

I'm happy for any Reading player who puts a shift in. We'll done Nick

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 01 Jan 2014 18:33

I think the reality is that he's been greatly improved for quite a while, but that his perceived taking of ALFs place (even when he's on the wing..) got in the way of people accepting him so much, but now that ALFs going down in peoples estimations theyre judging Blacklman for who he is, not who he isnt. Either way, hooooray for Blackman!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Jan 2014 18:36

Did well today. The only player who managed a shot towards goal in the first 80 minutes and also some nice touches shown.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 01 Jan 2014 18:36

Let's not get carried away, his end product was pretty poor. But easily MOTM and it's great to see what he can do. Much better than McCleary or Drenthe today.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Jan 2014 18:37

It's supposed to be an appreciation thread St Brynjar! Positive vibes........

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 01 Jan 2014 18:38

Watching the game, me and my mate both thought he was our best player today, but there were a couple of wayward crosses, particularly near the end from near the edge of the 6 yard box / goal line. We put that one down to him thinking he'd have a foul blown against him, and generally a lack of game time. I hope he now gets the game time his performance today warrants

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 01 Jan 2014 18:39

Even after a solid shift like that there are still dipsticks wanting to put him down on Twitter. The word support is lost on some people!

starbug

by starbug » 01 Jan 2014 18:40

impressed today, deserves to keep his place without doubt

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 01 Jan 2014 18:44

Great to see him handing his shirt into the East Stand after the final whistle, who quite rightly applauded him off in return.

A month or so ago and he probably would have been the first player down the tunnel (not that I could blame him).

2014 could well be his year! :)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Jan 2014 18:55

Been quite adamant in my belief that he has plenty of ability and the potential to be a top player. Showed some of that today, hopefully the fans will start to give him the backing which will lead to the confidence that will progress him further.

Definitely IN for this thread.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2014 19:07

Yes did well today and even took on players and beat them. Lots of commitment & high work rate too which is why he stood out in the Sheff Utd team when we played them.

As has been pointed out (and will come if the supporters get off his back) he just needs to believe in himself a bit more. There were a couple of occasions today when he offloaded the ball rather than run at the defence and/or shoot when there were very good opportunities to do so.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2014 19:21

St. Brynjar Let's not get carried away, his end product was pretty poor. But easily MOTM and it's great to see what he can do. Much better than McCleary or Drenthe today.

Agreed.

His touch, control and dribbling were excellent today, but aside from one shot, his end product was poor. However, unlike McCleary, he contributed to the match, and looked the most likely of any of our players to set up a goal.

I don't think he "has the potential to be a top player", but I think he showed he's capable of performing to an acceptable at this level (and this was his best performance yet and the first time he's performed over 90 minutes rather than 20). Essentially he and Akpan have switched places in my estimations.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Jan 2014 19:37

SCIAG
St. Brynjar Let's not get carried away, his end product was pretty poor. But easily MOTM and it's great to see what he can do. Much better than McCleary or Drenthe today.

Agreed.

His touch, control and dribbling were excellent today, but aside from one shot, his end product was poor. However, unlike McCleary, he contributed to the match, and looked the most likely of any of our players to set up a goal.

I don't think he "has the potential to be a top player", but I think he showed he's capable of performing to an acceptable at this level (and this was his best performance yet and the first time he's performed over 90 minutes rather than 20). Essentially he and Akpan have switched places in my estimations.

I see it differently. I think Blackman is the type of player who is either poor or fantastic. There's rarely much in between. He's quick, rangy, has a good left peg, and seems to have the ability to go past people. Decision making is poor, but if he sorts that out I think he could be a top player. Physically and technically he's as good as any in our squad imo.

We'll see, don't want to put too much pressure on the lad of course, but he's one of the few players in and around the first team atm that I hope will still he here in 5 years time.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 01 Jan 2014 19:51

Like most of you have said on here, pleased for the lad today, he didn't ask to come here ! when a premiership side, at the time, come calling you are not going to turn them down. He has taken a lot of stick on here so to read he done ok today and whats been written about his performance will do a lot for his confidence. He is a young lad learning his trade so I hope that the boo boys give him a break and get behind him, you never know he might just turn out to be a clever purchase given time.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 01 Jan 2014 19:57

I'm a little bit confused as to why Adkins moved him to LB when Taylor came on, seemed to kill him a little bit. Adkins unwillingness to change the shape of the team really confuses me. Let's be honest, what's the point in having a striker playing LB, you may as well just go to 3 at the back and push him further up the field.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 01 Jan 2014 20:01

He played well, he was MOTM but was hardly mind blowing. Had that been a good team performance, I doubt he would have stood out at all. I really don't think he's that good and he made some bad mistakes in the game too, but it's great to see him improving.