Who is to blame: Madejski or Zingaravic

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who is to blame: Madejski or Zingaravic

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2014 18:01

Forest Gump Firstly I apologise for the rather random results of trying to enter this post while using a knackered laptop keyboard and a spell checker running wild.

However, I do not apologise for asking where the finger should be pointed in a situation where someone at the top has reneged on his commitments and caused a scenario that, quite frankly, the FA or Football League should surely be looking into.

Btw I am a bit old to be labelled as a brat and I do remember many games from the 70's and 80's. The thing is that many other clubs of a similar level have moved onward and upward since then. I appreciate that the Reading way is to tick along and keep our hands in our pockets while bigger investors gamble with higher stakes. Good luck to those who give it a go I say.

What would the FA or Football League look into ?
And if they looked into whatever it is and saw something what would they do ?
We're paying our players, we aren't in or approaching administration.
Are you suggesting we should be docked points or fined ?
I''m sure SJm is pretty hacked off but that's between him and Anton

You are of course right that some clubs have moved onwards and upwards. Usually because someone has thrown huge amounts of cash their way. An equal number have moved downwards, some a very long way. Do you recall when Luton were a big club ? Remember Oxford and Swindon lording it over us ? How about our very recent title battle with Sheffield United ?

We've not kept our hands in our pockets, unless you think Pog, Bridge, Roberts, Kelly, Gunter, McLeary, Drenthe et al have come here on a voluntary basis.

Of course it's frustrating that we are a finger tip away from another playoff shot but there is not a lot of point in over dramatising things and why you feel the need to suddenly 'point the finger' when we know Anton has let us down I can't see.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Mar 2014 18:42

Reading haven't "failed" to do anything at this moment in time FG.....where there is life and games to go.......... and all that.

Always thought AZ as a bit weasely, so AZ it is

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 02 Mar 2014 19:34

Yep, players should give it their all each and every game, not only for the club but in a more selfish vein to promote and market themselves thus leading to greater income etc. However with instability at the club, the manager and players will be affected leading to mistakes and lack of concentration. You can see that in our play, some brilliant moments of football followed by dumb mistakes. Any mistake is quickly punished and rarely forgiven in football.

Until we have a new owner, the players, manager and us won't know what the future at Reading FC holds.

Loyal royal 247

by Loyal royal 247 » 02 Mar 2014 20:04

It is Anton's fault .

He's been finally found out that it's his dad with all the money and he's not been lent any off the money

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Mar 2014 20:18

I once stole my dad's last 50p to buy cheap toys and sweets

got a bloody good hiding....what will the weAZel get?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Mar 2014 20:57

I blame the Smee/Tranter axis of evil. If they hadn't stopped Robert Maxwell acting in the club's best interest, they wouldn't have had to sell to someone like Madejski who would only invest a few tens of millions of pounds before selling to Zingarevich.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Mar 2014 10:13

Some say we're in decline, others say we are no longer over-achieving.

The line between success and failure is fine - Remember when we won the league with 106 points losing just 2 games?.... well does anyone remember the previous season which finished with pretty much the same side? Even the manager at the time, Steve Coppell couldn't put his finger on it.

SJM is often to blame for talking up our chances and failing to deliver, I don't hear him talking about us reaching the promised land this season, However he did say there would be funds available in the transfer window either from himself or Anton and as there was no transfer activity we can assume those funds failed to materialise.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Mar 2014 10:52

Forest Gump ... for the spectacular decline of our club.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Mar 2014 11:06

melonhead
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even declines look like Brendy.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 03 Mar 2014 12:33

Squad on paper is good enough for promotion. A lot of our players would waltz into any team in this league.

As a team we are simply not performing with any consistency. The blame is currently with NA and nobody else.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Mar 2014 12:41

Tipped by many bookmakers as one of the favourites to get promotion this season Reading will no fail even to secure a playoff place.
Normally it would be the manager to get most of the blame but, while some of NA's selections have appeared to be less than logical I think it would
be unfair to blame a manager who was brought in on the basis of various undertakings that have clearly not been honoured by the management of the Club.
Most of the serious contenders for promotion has strengthened their squads in the window (or since); at Reading we got the traditional spin that the tea was good enough.

I think the tea was always pretty good.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 03 Mar 2014 12:49

Royalwaster
Tipped by many bookmakers as one of the favourites to get promotion this season Reading will no fail even to secure a playoff place.
Normally it would be the manager to get most of the blame but, while some of NA's selections have appeared to be less than logical I think it would
be unfair to blame a manager who was brought in on the basis of various undertakings that have clearly not been honoured by the management of the Club.
Most of the serious contenders for promotion has strengthened their squads in the window (or since); at Reading we got the traditional spin that the tea was good enough.

I think the tea was always pretty good.

Disagree. Tastes of cardboard and there's nowhere to put the bag once it has brewed.

Maybe this should become the hot drinks discussion thread.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 03 Mar 2014 13:36

Am I missing something? are we in a relegation battle?.....DECLINE oh really, some people are never happy, couple of crap games and we want heads.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Mar 2014 14:35

Ignoring the obvious hyperbole, it's Anton's fault for not investing and JM's fault for selling over half the club to a f/cking shitcake.

However, the problem is merely not capitalising on our success, rather than any stupid notion of decline.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Mar 2014 15:18

Arnie_Pie Squad on paper is good enough for promotion.
Shame we play our games on grass then.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 05 Mar 2014 05:38

The trouble is Anton did invest, just not his own money. We are stuck with a wage bill that has blown out of proportion to our income.

This is set for a few more years yet, with players like Drenthe and Pog unbalancing the books big time.

There is no one else that would pay what we are, the performances don't justify it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Mar 2014 10:38

Royal Biscuitman Some say we're in decline, others say we are no longer over-achieving.

The line between success and failure is fine - Remember when we won the league with 106 points losing just 2 games?.... well does anyone remember the previous season which finished with pretty much the same side? Even the manager at the time, Steve Coppell couldn't put his finger on it.

SJM is often to blame for talking up our chances and failing to deliver, I don't hear him talking about us reaching the promised land this season, However he did say there would be funds available in the transfer window either from himself or Anton and as there was no transfer activity we can assume those funds failed to materialise.

apart from the all important front line

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Mar 2014 10:50

Good thing Gylfi is coming home this summer. :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Mar 2014 13:28

melonhead
Royal Biscuitman Some say we're in decline, others say we are no longer over-achieving.

apart from the all important front line

We essentially replaced Hughes and Fozzy with Convey and Doyle in the first team, and massively improved the strength in depth...

Owusu and Ferdinand out, Lita in
Newman out, Gunnarsson in
Brooker out, SHunt in
(Hughes out, Oster in)
Morgan and Savage out, Long in
... and we added a proper back-up full back in Makin

Then Sonko improved massively and Little was available more often.
All in all, we were much less dependent on Kitson, Sidwell and Shorey having good matches.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 05 Mar 2014 13:38

Wait a sec.

The OP says he went to games in the 70s and 80s. And calls sitting 7th in the Championship a decline. WTF.