Yeovil (H) BFTG

214 posts
chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Yeovil (H) BFTG

by chilipepper91 » 01 Mar 2014 19:32

TTE Match Report. Wasn't fun writing this.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... inst-eight

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Mar 2014 19:38

A new low in this forgettable season. Our inability to break down 10/9/8 Yeovil men summed up by Drenthe's continued brain dead attempts to cross from deep, which is exactly the kind of 'tactic' a depleted team would wish to defend :!:

Can't think of many of our players I would keep for next season, we should have a good clear out of some of the second rate chavs clogging up our wage bill (whose attitude is summed up by the self-serving Le Fondre on Twitter, bemoaning above all else that his 'goal' has been credited as an o.g). And I'd put the management team at the top of the 'released' list for certain, they are stealing a living at this club.

Who to take over as manager? Well given Madejski's utter f*ck up over selling the club it is abundantly clear that a clear out is needed, so lets see if these youngsters are as good as we always hear about.....give Dolan the job of keeping the club in the division next season (promoting from within has worked well before) until we find some loaded buffoon wanting to invest in a backwater football club which hemorrhages cash.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 01 Mar 2014 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Mar 2014 19:45

Still fuming at that turgid pile of shite!
Passionless bunch of prima donnas.

WTF does our manager install in our team. Thats 3 home games in a row when we have been dreadful. I would like to think there would be some improvement. But Hey Ho ZILCH!
I have come to the conclusion that Adkins has not got the foggiest how to get his players to break teams down.

I hate to slag off home bred players but Obita had a shocker.
Alf started brightly but went missing.
Pog see Alf.
Williams see Pog and Alf
HRK and Akpan :roll:
Mcarthy WTF where you doing!
Badger head. All show no product.

Gunter and Drenthe where the only ones to come out with any credit.

Not good enough. Oh and well done Yeovil. You showed that you wanted it a damn site more than us :roll:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Mar 2014 19:47

winchester_royal Exactly. A couple of decent passages of play really isn't good enough, especially considering the opposition and the quality of our squad compare to the rag tag band of cast offs and youngsters Gary Johnson is working with. We should be controlling that game from start to end, not hoping to come away with 3 points from a 50/50 contest.

Not wrong there.
Opposition Ages, Relevant Match Experience (Games in English Championship and above)
24, 14

22, 28
22, 29
26, 39
35, 177

19, 13
20, 40
23, 36
20, 6

20, 13
34, 152

Subs:
20, 14
23, 1
30, 1

A bunch of kids and a couple of pensioners.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 01 Mar 2014 19:48

First game I'd been able to get to this season as usually watching my lads play. Waterlogged pitch today, so thought I'd bring them along for a bit of an eductaion, and wondered why the oxf*rd I'd bothered at half time, the most turgid 45 minutes I've watched in a long long time. No-one wanted to put their foot on the ball, and Gunter spent the game hitting the long diagonal balls that Mills used to do - and just like his, they were incredibly ineffective. Think McCarthy had been watching old youtube clips of Shepherd for their goal :D

Introduction of Guthrie meant that at least we started to put put the foot on the ball and pass it about a bit. Thought Drenthe was a complete showman when he came on, just wish he had a little bit better final product.

Thought all their sendings off were fair, and as our strikers were being so reluctant to grab their opportunities, I was almost hoping they would get a couple of extra reds so the game would be abandoned and awarded to us. Still a very entertaining 2nd half.....

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 01 Mar 2014 20:01

Dire first half, at least the second was exciting. Probably says something that we can't score against <11 men at home to the bottom of the league...

McCarthy 5 - One good save but definitely at fault for the goal
Gunter 7 - Lots of good overlapping runs, always back to sort things out
Pearce 6 - Passed it around better than usual, generally solid
Gorkss 5 - Good work defensively but awful long balls killed a lot of momentum in an attack
Obita 6 - Great work when they were down to eight or nine, but set pieces were poor and anonymous before we had the man advantage
McCleary 7 - Lots of skill, however less of an end product today
Akpan 5 - Caught in possession quite a bit
Williams 6 - Largely anonymous, however did pass and tackle well in the first half
HRK 6 - Few good runs but never really beat his man
Pog 5 - Should've scored (maybe twice but for a great save)
ALF 4 - Should've scored three times, mediocre penalty but well saved

Guthrie 8 - Passed it well and always put it into space. Generally didn't panic
Drenthe 8.5 - Flashes of brilliance in an otherwise uninspiring team performance
Blackman 6 - Didn't really do anything

Ref 10 - Almost every decision was right (looked like a penalty to me) and didn't bottle any of the big decisions.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Mar 2014 20:06

Not getting the Akpan hate today really, certainly not the Guthrie love that goes with it.
Williams just cannot seem to play with Guthrie, and clearly has a good understanding with Akpan. Complexly disappeared when Guthrie came on.

Obita had an absolute stinker all game and I just cannot understand the point of HRK as a footballer.

My man crush on Günter is developing nicely as he was the only person who wasn't complete dogshit today

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 01 Mar 2014 20:07

Guthrie and Drenthe need to start now. Akpan was bloody awful and Robson-Kanu shouldn't be anywhere near a starting place. Pog continues to frustrate the life out of me. How can anyone with his height and strength not win headers? Kanu has the same problem! Thankfully our play-off hopes will be well and truly over in two weeks time.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 01 Mar 2014 20:10

Yeah, yeah, yeah but what is that fu**ing song?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Mar 2014 20:10

Don't get the Guthrie Love.
Yet to see him do anything of note.

When was he last in a winning Reading side?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2014 20:12

Not sure what to make of that game !

Did enjoy the second half, never seen 3 reds for one team before ! First one was the only one that was even slightly questionable, not convinced it was a goal scoring opportunity but it was definitely a pen. Other 2 reds were easy decisions and there should have been a 4th but clearly the ref didn't want to abandon the game.

Couldn;t really understand why the Yeovil fans applauded their team at the end. They were winning, and then lost the plot and threw away 2 points. Utterly stupid lack of professionalism and discipline but they were only following the example of their coaching staff....

We should have won the game, we had plenty of chances but found a keeper having a blinder. I don't agree that we got our tactics too wrong. Yeovil just flooded their box and put bodies in the way, if we'd played the ball round they would have stood and watched as the clock ran down. They went to no front players and no midfield and challenged us to force our way through which we didn;t do often enough. That's football and at least we've had another game that we'll talk about in 20 years time. Not that that is a massive consolation for dropping what should have been 2 easy points.

Jemba

by Jemba » 01 Mar 2014 20:16

I sometimes wonder if these players have a brain. Doing the same thing thing over and over again ( hoof mainly the defence) and expected different results. McCarthy, Pearce and Gorkss are the clumsiest players with the ball at their feet I have ever seen.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 20:22

CavershamRoyal Dire first half, at least the second was exciting. Probably says something that we can't score against <11 men at home to the bottom of the league...

McCarthy 5 - One good save but definitely at fault for the goal
Gunter 7 - Lots of good overlapping runs, always back to sort things out
Pearce 6 - Passed it around better than usual, generally solid
Gorkss 5 - Good work defensively but awful long balls killed a lot of momentum in an attack
Obita 6 - Great work when they were down to eight or nine, but set pieces were poor and anonymous before we had the man advantage
McCleary 7 - Lots of skill, however less of an end product today
Akpan 5 - Caught in possession quite a bit
Williams 6 - Largely anonymous, however did pass and tackle well in the first half
HRK 6 - Few good runs but never really beat his man
Pog 5 - Should've scored (maybe twice but for a great save)
ALF 4 - Should've scored three times, mediocre penalty but well saved

Guthrie 8 - Passed it well and always put it into space. Generally didn't panic
Drenthe 8.5 - Flashes of brilliance in an otherwise uninspiring team performance
Blackman 6 - Didn't really do anything

Ref 10 - Almost every decision was right (looked like a penalty to me) and didn't bottle any of the big decisions.

The ref bottled the biggest decision of them all! A second yellow for Lawrence (for the bad foul on McCleary on the left edge of their area), which would have seen the game abandoned. IIRC only a few minutes earlier Lawrence had also fouled one of our players on the opposite side of the area and got away with it!

Nameless Not sure what to make of that game !

Did enjoy the second half, never seen 3 reds for one team before ! First one was the only one that was even slightly questionable, not convinced it was a goal scoring opportunity but it was definitely a pen. Other 2 reds were easy decisions and there should have been a 4th but clearly the ref didn't want to abandon the game.

Couldn;t really understand why the Yeovil fans applauded their team at the end. They were winning, and then lost the plot and threw away 2 points. Utterly stupid lack of professionalism and discipline but they were only following the example of their coaching staff....

We should have won the game, we had plenty of chances but found a keeper having a blinder. I don't agree that we got our tactics too wrong. Yeovil just flooded their box and put bodies in the way,

And there is the crux of the matter and exactly why we got our tactics wrong! Our thick players compounded the problem by crowding the box themselves! The majority of our players should have stayed out of the area and played it around the outside of the box, which would have created openings for shots. That would have forced their defenders into making tough decisions as to when to stay put or when to move out and close down. Our players made it easy for them by all going to stand in the midst of the giant defenders! :twisted:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Mar 2014 20:27

It would have needed 2 more players to be sent off.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 01 Mar 2014 20:28

SHORT AND CURLY Still fuming at that turgid pile of shite!
Passionless bunch of prima donnas.

WTF does our manager install in our team. Thats 3 home games in a row when we have been dreadful. I would like to think there would be some improvement. But Hey Ho ZILCH!
I have come to the conclusion that Adkins has not got the foggiest how to get his players to break teams down.

I hate to slag off home bred players but Obita had a shocker.
Alf started brightly but went missing.
Pog see Alf.
Williams see Pog and Alf
HRK and Akpan :roll:
Mcarthy WTF where you doing!
Badger head. All show no product.

Gunter and Drenthe where the only ones to come out with any credit.

Not good enough. Oh and well done Yeovil. You showed that you wanted it a damn site more than us :roll:

Yeah, I would agree with that. Sure, we have had some good wins along the way but this looks like his weak spot.

I thought Adkins was a decent appointment, and he's done ok, but other sides seem to have the measure of us at home and we seem short on ideas when the pressure is really on us.

There's no way some teams are going to come here and submissively roll over, and why should they? It's up to Reading to keep their composure and make what you'd think was extra quality in the squad count. Loads of teams will be battling at either end of the table so patience is needed at times, I'm still not convinced there's enough on show to brave it out when the opposition are fighting tooth and nail for a result though.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 01 Mar 2014 20:28

Winnershroyal Yeah, yeah, yeah but what is that fu**ing song?

Decent noise, but as always our lot wouldn't dream of singing it as it would be copying other clubs... Bizarre when we are one of the least imaginative and uninspiring bunch of supporters around.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 01 Mar 2014 20:29

Overall pretty dire.

Thought we started quite well but just like last week we missed out on some early opportunities and then just seemed to lack any ideas. Also don't the players analyse the game they are in - it was blatantly obvious to the 18,000+ fans that you can't hoof a long ball and expect to win it when the main plank of their defence is over 6'6". How many headers did Pog win (how many does he ever win)?

Getting more impressed with Guthrie - thought he started the season really well but went so much off the boil in Nov/Dec/Jan. Now he's back he seems better. Drenthe had the best game he's had this season. Blackman wasn't great, McCarthy had a shocker - time for Feds to have another start maybe.

Seriously though - for 20 mins we were 2 players up and we couldn't score?

Thought the cards were fair but really thought there should have been another second yellow - wonder whether the ref got scared that he'd have to make a big decision.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 01 Mar 2014 20:31

5s all around for everybody apart from Guthrie and Drenthe.

I don't understand. McCarthy plays it out to defence. Defence pass it between themselves a few times, then somebody hooooofs it to Pog who falls over. Repeat ad infinitum. When we finally do get the ball out of our own half we immediately pass it to the wingers who run forward until they're 30 yards from goal, slow down and either turn around and pass it to the FB or put a shite cross into the box where, surprise surprise, nobody wins the header.

What's the f*cking point of doing it for 90 minutes across multiple games when it doesn't f*cking work. Where's the plan B? We've looked our best this season when we've been high tempo playing through the middle. Today we were slowing the game down even against 8 men.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2014 20:32

RoyalBlue And there is the crux of the matter and exactly why we got our tactics wrong! Our thick players compounded the problem by crowding the box themselves! The majority of our players should have stayed out of the area and played it around the outside of the box, which would have created openings for shots. That would have forced their defenders into making tough decisions as to when to stay put or when to move out and close down. Our players made it easy for them by all going to stand in the midst of the giant defenders! :twisted:

Moving the ball around 30 yards from goal would have just been stalemate as Yeovil would have continued to defend basketball style with 4 on the 6 yard line and 4 at the top of the box. They would have stood and watched us play it around. We did have shots from distance but Yeovil threw bodies in the way of the ones on target. With them happy to take a point it was always going to be tough, but we should have been up to it. We mixed up the crosses - we hit low balls from the byeline, whipped crosses from out wide and ran at defenders. When we did get half chances their keeper was inspired or we snatched at them.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 20:33

RG7Fan Overall pretty dire.

Thought we started quite well but just like last week we missed out on some early opportunities and then just seemed to lack any ideas. Also don't the players analyse the game they are in - it was blatantly obvious to the 18,000+ fans that you can't hoof a long ball and expect to win it when the main plank of their defence is over 6'6". How many headers did Pog win (how many does he ever win)?

Getting more impressed with Guthrie - thought he started the season really well but went so much off the boil in Nov/Dec/Jan. Now he's back he seems better. Drenthe had the best game he's had this season. Blackman wasn't great, McCarthy had a shocker - time for Feds to have another start maybe.

Seriously though - for 20 mins we were 2 players up and we couldn't score?

Thought the cards were fair but really thought there should have been another second yellow - wonder whether the ref got scared that he'd have to make a big decision.

He clearly did and really should get a bollocking for doing so. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the pundits picks it out tomorrow. However, no doubt he will get away without anything been said by those that matter.

I really wouldn't have been surprised to see the penalty not given - the way I saw it, it was no way clear cut and I think Drenthe did 'win' it. Would be funny if Yeovil appealed the first two reds and trumped our two successful appeals in two weeks with two in one!

214 posts