Yeovil (H) BFTG

214 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Yeovil (H) BFTG

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2014 18:28

Wimb
MmmMonsterMunch
winchester_royal One dimensional garbage. As ever we are found totally wanting when up against two deep banks of four, and our weekly defensive fcuk up ensures we're one down with twenty mins to go.

Completely disillusioned with the 'progress' being made by the club right now. The football is worse than we've seen under previous managers known for their direct approach to the game, and it's not like we're bringing through younger players to set ourselves up for the inevitable turnover of players this summer. What's the plan here Nigel? I can't work it out.

Does he tell them to panic & go direct or do they take it upon themselves to do that? We played some decent passing stuff at the start, they get the goal, we play like headless chickens for a bit & then they calmed down & started actually passing it again before the end of the 2nd half.

I'm not sure what the answer is. But with 9 men for what 20 mins, we really shouldn't be just pumping long balls when we could have quite easily passed it about & tired them out. Pearce was a classic example - he had plenty of opportunities 2nd half to take a second & make a decent pass, but no it got punted in the air.

Fair play to Yeovil - they wanted it more & in a way I'm glad they got something. We really lack that killer instinct.

Surely that's the whole point of having a manager and a coaching staff? To make sure they don't panic and have some sort of game plan, or more importantly game plans. :|

Exactly. A couple of decent passages of play really isn't good enough, especially considering the opposition and the quality of our squad compare to the rag tag band of cast offs and youngsters Gary Johnson is working with. We should be controlling that game from start to end, not hoping to come away with 3 points from a 50/50 contest. There just didn't seem to be any reason behind the way we set up either against Blackburn or today and that's what is most concerning right now for me.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 01 Mar 2014 18:31

We miss a top class set piece taker - obitas 'overhit' corner routine just wasn't working, to have that many set pieces and get nothing from them is really telling. What happened to Pearce scoring from corners?

Thought Drenthe and Guthrie did well when they came on, but Guthrie nullifies Williams game as he comes short and then bypasses him.

HRK should've been let go when we had a decent offer for him.

Drenthe in for ALF and Guthrie in for Akpan pls Adkins.

Oh yeah, and Alex Mc - wtaf? Sun in your eyes, coming 15 odd yards out to punch with one hand? Bibbo was practically in tears.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 18:34

Wimb
winchester_royal One dimensional garbage. As ever we are found totally wanting when up against two deep banks of four, and our weekly defensive fcuk up ensures we're one down with twenty mins to go.

Completely disillusioned with the 'progress' being made by the club right now. The football is worse than we've seen under previous managers known for their direct approach to the game, and it's not like we're bringing through younger players to set ourselves up for the inevitable turnover of players this summer. What's the plan here Nigel? I can't work it out.

+1

For those finding it difficult to understand, the plan was clearly to combine some of our existing players, including some of the youngsters, with some reasonable signings. Madejski screwing up the sale and then failing to deliver the transfer funding that he said would be there is the reason that plan had to be abandoned.

I find it incredible (but really shouldn't be surprised) that people were criticising Adkins for his passing style and now that the hoof tactics have proven to be even less effective are criticising him for poor quality football.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Mar 2014 18:37

RoyalBlue Today we saw unequivocal proof that the majority of professional footballers are as thick as shit!

Most kids (of both sexes) know that one of the keys to winning games is to create and exploit space! Having struggled to do that against 11 players our 'team' were then given a helping hand by the ref when he reduced Yeovil to 9 players (with 20 minutes left?) and then 8 with over ten minutes to go.

What did our thick players do in response? Rather than take full advantage of our numerical advantage to move the ball quickly around, drag Yeovil out of position and create space that they could exploit, the majority of them decided to take up residence in Yeovil's area and call for the ball to be lumped forward or crossed into them, at which point they proceeded to get in each other's way as they tried to get to the ball! :twisted: This also made life incredibly easy for the Yeovil giants who just had to win the balls in the air and clear up the loose balls as Reading players messed up. The Yeovil defenders hardly needed to move.

Why the hell didn't the majority of the players hang outside the area, creating more space and forcing defenders to make decisions as to whom they should mark and when they should close the ball?! :twisted: Had we done that, I am sure that gaps would have opened up and we would have got the winner and possibly more.

On several occasions I spotted Guthrie hanging back with the ball and gesturing to his team mates to come towards him and create space in the Yeovil final third. Sadly most proved they were too thick to realise that this would significantly increase our opportunity of scoring and continued to hold hands with each other in the Yeovil area.

What I was trying to say myself but far more eloquent! Top post & totally agree.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2014 18:40

The plan, originally, was to take this club through a period of transition both in terms of bringing younger players through and improving the style of football. I was fully behind that plan. But that's not the plan anymore is it? We've reverted to type, and we aren't as good at it as we were under Brian. I understood the path we were on 6 months ago. I don't now.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Mar 2014 18:41

Started very brightly, particularly down the left hand side, but neither Le Fondre nor Pogrebnyak could get on the end of any of the balls in.

Akpan then gave away a silly foul, and McCarthy came for a ball he should have left.

We looked a lot better once Guthrie came on, his range of passing changed things. We looked better against once Drenthe came on.

I don't think Yeovil can complain about any of the reds, except perhaps the first one, but I am fairly sure "our" goal wasn't over the line.

Ratings:
McCarthy 5.5: a good save, but probably at fault for the goal
Gunter 6.5: not troubled defensively, but his delivery was poor. One excellent overlapping run.
Pearce 6.5: similarly, not troubled defensively, but his heading was poor.
Gorkss 6: misjudged a few things. As Pearce, his heading was poor.
Obita 7: good game, some obvious mistakes but generally did well.
McCleary 6: started very brightly, but didn't perform well enough in the second half to break them down.
Akpan 4: did little other than foul.
Williams 5: not good enough
HRK 6.5: good running, some good balls in
Pogrebnyak 7: good finish for the disallowed goal, and good link up play. Maybe should have done more to get into scoring positions late on.
ALF 4: dreadful. Missed too many chances, some in comical fashion, including a sub-par penalty.

Subs:
Guthrie 7.5: very good.
Drenthe 7.5: won the penalty, some good passing and dribbling. Sometimes does too much. Should probably start next week, even if McAnuff is fit.
Blackman n/a

The real MOTM was either Stech or Palazuelos, who were both brilliant.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Mar 2014 18:43

SCIAG I don't think Yeovil can complain about any of the reds, except perhaps the first one, but I am fairly sure "our" goal wasn't over the line.

I was sat behind it and I'm 100% sure you're wrong.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 18:48

SCIAG Started very brightly, particularly down the left hand side, but neither Le Fondre nor Pogrebnyak could get on the end of any of the balls in.

Akpan then gave away a silly foul, and McCarthy came for a ball he should have left.

We looked a lot better once Guthrie came on, his range of passing changed things. We looked better against once Drenthe came on.

I don't think Yeovil can complain about any of the reds, except perhaps the first one, but I am fairly sure "our" goal wasn't over the line.

Ratings:
McCarthy 5.5: a good save, but probably at fault for the goal.

Probably? :shock:

Even the most loyal members of the GKU would have to put that one down 100% to him.

Should he have come for the ball? Probably not but, having decided to do so, he needed to come quick, fast and hard. He didn't and he and the team paid the price for it.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 01 Mar 2014 18:50

Yep clearly over the line.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Mar 2014 18:52

sandman
SCIAG I don't think Yeovil can complain about any of the reds, except perhaps the first one, but I am fairly sure "our" goal wasn't over the line.

I was also sat behind it. Only looked about 80% over the line.

RoyalBlue
SCIAG Started very brightly, particularly down the left hand side, but neither Le Fondre nor Pogrebnyak could get on the end of any of the balls in.

Ratings:
McCarthy 5.5: a good save, but probably at fault for the goal.

Probably? :shock:

Even the most loyal members of the GKU would have to put that one down 100% to him.

I lost concentration for a second between the ball coming and sailing over McCarthy's head, so I wasn't sure if Gorkss had seriously messed up or something.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2014 18:56

Wimb
MmmMonsterMunch

Does he tell them to panic & go direct or do they take it upon themselves to do that? We played some decent passing stuff at the start, they get the goal, we play like headless chickens for a bit & then they calmed down & started actually passing it again before the end of the 2nd half.

I'm not sure what the answer is. But with 9 men for what 20 mins, we really shouldn't be just pumping long balls when we could have quite easily passed it about & tired them out. Pearce was a classic example - he had plenty of opportunities 2nd half to take a second & make a decent pass, but no it got punted in the air.

Fair play to Yeovil - they wanted it more & in a way I'm glad they got something. We really lack that killer instinct.

Surely that's the whole point of having a manager and a coaching staff? To make sure they don't panic and have some sort of game plan, or more importantly game plans. :|

They can't carry out the plan themselves though. They can only set it up during the week and rely on the players to do it on the pitch.

It's worrying we're regressing again. We make no effort to show for a pass or set up triangles. Its fundamental stuff that we don't do. Something must be going wrong between training ground and stadium pitch.

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 01 Mar 2014 19:03

Guthrie and Drenthe only bright sparks of that pile of oxf*rd. Hope both start next game.

Who's their goalkeeper? Can we sign him?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 19:03

Ian Royal
Wimb
MmmMonsterMunch

They can't carry out the plan themselves though. They can only set it up during the week and rely on the players to do it on the pitch.

It's worrying we're regressing again. We make no effort to show for a pass or set up triangles. Its fundamental stuff that we don't do. Something must be going wrong between training ground and stadium pitch.

I'm disappointed that the players were out of the dressing room so quickly after the game. They really deserved a prolonged session of the hotest hairdryer treatment possible for their stupidity and lack of intelligence displayed today.

Even with Yeovil down to 8 men, our players taking throw ins were struggling to find a teammate free to put the ball into. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

tlcs

by tlcs » 01 Mar 2014 19:04

Last week someone gave Akpan a rating of 7 , which to be fair was a joke.

This week he gets a 6 , im sure that some people on here must be watching a different game.

If we want a ball passed sideways hes our man , but honestly he is 100% dross !!!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Mar 2014 19:06

winchester_royal The plan, originally, was to take this club through a period of transition both in terms of bringing younger players through and improving the style of football. I was fully behind that plan. But that's not the plan anymore is it? We've reverted to type, and we aren't as good at it as we were under Brian. I understood the path we were on 6 months ago. I don't now.

From the last 'BFTG - Yeovil Town' thread.
winchester_royal Fans - Too much tedious negativity around for my liking.

tbf some of us had our eyes open a full 7 months ago, but I respect you for coming round eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2014 19:08

P!ssed Off
winchester_royal The plan, originally, was to take this club through a period of transition both in terms of bringing younger players through and improving the style of football. I was fully behind that plan. But that's not the plan anymore is it? We've reverted to type, and we aren't as good at it as we were under Brian. I understood the path we were on 6 months ago. I don't now.

From the last 'BFTG - Yeovil Town' thread.
winchester_royal Fans - Too much tedious negativity around for my liking.

tbf some of us had our eyes open a full 7 months ago, but I respect you for coming round eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

I'll be following all your leads from now on

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Mar 2014 19:16

Anyone else struggling to load HNA tonight or is it just my shit Internet?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Mar 2014 19:16

SCIAG
sandman

I was also sat behind it. Only looked about 80% over the line.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/specsavers+reading/@51.4514567,-0.9960477,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 01 Mar 2014 19:22

Schoolboy football 1st half..nice pint of Lager and a cigarette in the interval Came alive 2nd half Brilliant spectacle.No criticism from me with our performance :) The glovers defence was awesome :x

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Mar 2014 19:23

I didn't go today, so I'm pretty happy after predicting a 10-0 beatdown.

At least we can start relaxing now and hopefully won't have to worry about play-offs. We're not getting relegated, so no need for people to start panicking and throwing their toys out.

When Vinnie Mc takes over we'll be able to re-shape the squad a bit.

Onwards and upwards etc

214 posts