Summer Rebuild - Your Preferred 5 To Go?

186 posts
Gunnarsson's_Gunners

Re: Summer Rebuild - Your Preferred 5 To Go?

by Gunnarsson's_Gunners » 05 May 2014 12:18

1. Adam Le Fondre - Hold up play is poor, distribution is poor, has no physical presence, quite clearly wants prem football, most of his goals have come from the spot, his arrogance isn't really needed in the team and could get a few million out of him.
2. Royston Drenthe - No point having him on the wage bill if we are struggling financially, especially with Adkins' reluctance to play him
3. Daniel Carrico - Although a very good player, his value has risen since at Sevilla, who are in the final of the Europa League and were in a shout for champo league until last week, unless there was a clause where the price is already agreed if Sevilla chose to buy him
4. Sean Morrison - I've seen enough of Morrison to know that he's not a gifted footballer, just a player that can clear and head, so if we want Adkins football next year then get a new CB as back up to Hector or as a replacement
5. Mikele Leigertwood - Although just come back from injury, he's not getting any younger and wouldn't see him playing at centre mid with the likes of Williams, Guthrie, Karacan, Akpan and with guys like Taylor, Kuhl and Hector that can also chip in there

Would like us to bring in more though, definitely need a striker who can hold up the ball well and pass about, a lot like how Rickie Lambert plays for So'ton and why Nigel was so successful there, maybe Joe Garner or Kieran Agard that we might be able to get on the cheap

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 05 May 2014 12:25

Ok my thoughts on the summer rebuild. First point that needs making, cant believe how many players are in the last year of their contract :|

To raise some actual money, would like to see McCarthy sold, Federici is perfect to step in and if Adkins wants us to develop our game next season Federici`s distribution would help massively. Hopefully McCarthy could fetch 5m.

Would like to see Le Fondre go, easy player to move on for roughly 2m i reckon, and what does he offer the team? Would we really miss him?

Finally if we could, would like to see Morrison sold. We need a CB that is comfortable on the ball, so one of Pearce or Morrison need to move on. Ideally Morrison could fetch 1.5m(roughly). I would then make Pearce captain.

Try and move on Kelly for a few hundred thousand.

We could also save roughly 100k a week( 5m a year) by releasing the following players :

Taylor
Gorkks
Bridge
Ledge
Drenthe( if we could move on for free transfer)

Would like us to renew Jobi for a year, we need some experience in the squad and we would only have to spend money on another winger probably. Would be nice for Taylor and Hector to be given new deals for squad players.

If we can, would like us to then sign a centre back that is comfortable on the ball & a striker that has some pace. Preferably lower league or young hungry players

So would like our squad to look like this :

GK : Federici, Anderson, Henly
Defenders : Gunter(extend contract), Cummings, Obita, Hector, Pearce(extend contract), NEW CB
Midfield: Guthrie, Williams, Karacan(extend contract) Akpan, Taylor, Kuhl & Tish
Wingers: McCleary( Extend contract) Jobi, Tanner, Blackman
Forwards : Pog, Robson-Kanu, NEW STRIKER

Players i would be sad to see leave : Karacan, Williams, Obita, McCleary & Gunter

Also if we lost Adkins for whatever reason, i would like to see Eamon Dolan put in charge.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2014 12:48

Haag Royal
Bandini
windermere_royal why would Adkins walk

Because of the enormous shame that any right-thinking person in his position would feel for having failed so abjectly.

Utter rubbish. I guess you are also one of the "Bring McD back" crowd.

You're one of the whoooosh crowd he attracts.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2014 12:54

Gunnarsson's_Gunners 1. Adam Le Fondre - Hold up play is poor, distribution is poor, has no physical presence, quite clearly wants prem football, most of his goals have come from the spot, his arrogance isn't really needed in the team and could get a few million out of him.

:| He scored 3 penalties, the same as Pogrebnyak. Since when is 20% 'most'? The rest is at least slightly subjective, but IMO quite wrong.

Gunnarsson's_Gunners

by Gunnarsson's_Gunners » 05 May 2014 15:32

Ian Royal
Gunnarsson's_Gunners 1. Adam Le Fondre - Hold up play is poor, distribution is poor, has no physical presence, quite clearly wants prem football, most of his goals have come from the spot, his arrogance isn't really needed in the team and could get a few million out of him.

:| He scored 3 penalties, the same as Pogrebnyak. Since when is 20% 'most'? The rest is at least slightly subjective, but IMO quite wrong.

How am I quite wrong, he very much does not like heading the ball, he doesn't ever seem to put any pressure on defenders, clearly has little physical presence, wants premier league football, is arrogant, could probably sell for a few million. On the penalties, yeah ok fairplay, but I really don't see what he adds to the team, except from shirt sales from 9 year olds thinking that he is a God

RoyalSheep

by RoyalSheep » 05 May 2014 16:47

Something like this is what I would expect the team to look like next year:

----------------------------Andersen------------------------------
Gunter--------Hector----------------Pearce-----------Obita
----------------------------Williams-------------------------------
------------------Karacan------------Guthrie--------------------
HRK-------------------------------------------------McAnuff
---------------------------Pogrebnyak-----------------------------

Maybe that is a bit optimistic, keeping the likes of the Pog and Guthrie but I can't see anyone in the Premier League wanting either after a relatively indifferent season for both. Would be a relatively young yet experienced team and would perhaps expect a few youngsters such as Kuhl, Tanner, Ugwu and Tshibola to be blooded over the season. Looking at it like that I think it could be an uncertain few years, with maybe 2-3 more seasons in the Champ (at least), yet a few years where the academy players coming through keeps us optimistic.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 May 2014 17:19

Honestly, I would take that line-up. Can see that working very well if we play fast-counter attacking football. Maybe not good enough to go up next year but definitely after a couple of seasons challenging for play-offs.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2014 17:47

As said earlier, I'd only keep 5 from the current regulars; Obita, McCarthy, Williams, Karacan and Pearce. Hector and Taylor perhaps from the non-regulars also. Can't say I'm bothered about the rest, they all need to be released/moved on because of their wages or because they're not quite good enough for what NA wants to do.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2014 19:28

Gunnarsson's_Gunners
Ian Royal

How am I quite wrong, he very much does not like heading the ball, he doesn't ever seem to put any pressure on defenders, clearly has little physical presence, wants premier league football, is arrogant, could probably sell for a few million. On the penalties, yeah ok fairplay, but I really don't see what he adds to the team, except from shirt sales from 9 year olds thinking that he is a God
Let me spell it out. Those are all subjective things based on opinion, not clear facts. I think they're just plain wrong. But that is also subjective opinion.

However, if you get the one basic fact in your statement wrong then I'm not convinced your remaining opinion should be treated as sound.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2014 23:09

LoyalRoyal22 Would we really miss him?

After three months of Nick Blackman up front, you'd be longing for the return of Le Fondre. Particularly if we lose Pogrebnyak as well (which is likely and probably for the best, though I'd definitely keep him if money were no object).

It's very easy to say "but Ugwu/Samuel", I know I was a year ago. I'm not sure either of them can step up. Striker is probably our weakest position at U21 level. I think Cardwell is a better bet long term.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 05 May 2014 23:13

SCIAG

After three months of Nick Blackman up front, you'd be longing for the return of Le Fondre. Particularly if we lose Pogrebnyak as well (which is likely and probably for the best, though I'd definitely keep him if money were no object).

It's very easy to say "but Ugwu/Samuel", I know I was a year ago. I'm not sure either of them can step up. Striker is probably our weakest position at U21 level. I think Cardwell is a better bet long term.

I don't see any evidence to suggest that Blackman upfront would have been much different to Pogrebnyak.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 05 May 2014 23:24

Blackman has looked decent at times this season, I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 06 May 2014 00:00

SCIAG

Harry Cardwell first big season - not proven
Ugwu - banging in goals for the U21 as we'll as on Loan
Samuel - Injured most of the Season, prior to injuries played as England CF U19 and scored in 3 of 4 Int'l Matches. prolific
Scorer at under 16s, 18, and 21s level.
Check YouTube under reading U21 showboat.

What are you not sure about.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 06 May 2014 00:32

Ugwu has 8 goals in 37 league matches. It's not outstanding but I definitely think there's enough for him to play a part next year.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 06:47

kwik-silva Ugwu has 8 goals in 37 league matches. It's not outstanding but I definitely think there's enough for him to play a part next year.

The majority of those goals were scored in the conference and he's since struggled to get in Plymouth's League Two side and was pulled up for not working hard enough during his spell at Shrewbury.

He may well have something about him but there's nothing in iis lower league loan record to suggest he should be banging on the door of a Championship side, even a shit one.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 06:54

I'm with SCIAG (usually very positive and well informed on the youth teams) on the Ugwu/Samual point at the moment.

I've only seen Samual 4 or 5 times but I'm still not really sure what his game is about. He's a big lad, and pretty quick, but I've not seen him physically dominate a centre back as yet, or play off the shoulder and look like he knows how to use his pace and threaten in behind. Watch players like Kuhl, Tishbola or Tanner and you get an immediate feel for what they bring to a team but I've never had that with Samual.

His goals record is very good though so he must be doing something right. But then so did Paul Brayson.

Caldwell does look a good prospect though. Probably too early for the first team of course, but I'd say he's the better prospect of the 3 forwards .

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 May 2014 09:00

Completely agreed with SCIAG on the strikers front. Ugwu is pacey but doesn't seem to have an awful lot else about him, and Samuel has regressed alarmingly as a prospect over the last 18 months. Will be (pleasantly) surprised if either make a significant impact for us.

Cardwell on the other hand is a player I like. His movement is intelligent, he's oddly quick given how bulky he is, and has good quality when it comes to bringing others into play. He's impressed at both U18 and U21 level, and at only 17 is still 4 years behind Ugwu and Samuel in terms of development. A massive prospect.

Of course there's Tanner too, but I suppose you could argue he's more of a no. 10 type player than a striker..

Watch out for Josh Barrett next year. Could be better than them all..

billybraggsbeard

by billybraggsbeard » 06 May 2014 12:57

Kelly, Drenthe, Pog, HRK, Akpan and probably one of the keepers

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 May 2014 13:05

The clasic team board logic of a player who can't do anything right but some other team will for some reason ignore all that and give us millions for him

ROFL

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 May 2014 13:07

maffff Roberts,
Ledge,
Kelly,
Carrico,
J.Taylor

Going to change this to
Roberts,
Bridge,
Kelly,
Carrico,
S.Taylor