Brighton Away: BFTG

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Brighton Away: BFTG

by winchester_royal » 09 Mar 2014 10:10

blueroyals
3points ALF - 5- did nothing except get Greer sent off. Made a meal of the 2nd challenge and stayed down while ref booked him. Not sure he had a single chance, though our midfield have problems seeing his runs between the centre halves and full backs

So why is Adkins telling them to launch balls into the box from wide. He's not going to win many header, is he?

Actually he had a free header from about 6 yards out early in the second half that he should have buried. Very much like the one he missed in the FA cup game.

There wasn't as much launching in the box as last week. We were clearly trying to work it into the box more, and with Drenthe's subtlety on the ball we actually did it quite well. Had enough chances to win the game.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Mar 2014 10:40

blueroyals 3points wrote:
ALF - 5- did nothing except get Greer sent off. Made a meal of the 2nd challenge and stayed down while ref booked him. Not sure he had a single chance, though our midfield have problems seeing his runs between the centre halves and full backs

So why is Adkins telling them to launch balls into the box from wide. He's not going to win many header, is he?

There's more than one way to cross a ball into the box - we should be whipping them in low and fast allowing ALF to use his speed and finish with his feet and not his head.

Must have missed his headed chance Winchester - that's how anonymous he was

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Mar 2014 11:01

How come there were so few Reading fans there yesterday?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Mar 2014 11:04

No Fixed Abode How come there were so few Reading fans there yesterday?

Strange question.

I'd guess there were as many there as fancied going. Anyone who wasn't there had other things they wanted to do. Personally there were two 6 Nations games on the tele I wanted to watch as part of a build up to the big game today. Is there a problem with that ?

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 09 Mar 2014 11:30

No Fixed Abode How come there were so few Reading fans there yesterday?

£32 a ticket unlike when we went just a couple of months ago for a tenner.

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 09 Mar 2014 11:34

many reasons

1) 32quid + travel + food etc makes it expensive

2) Some of us have other things to do a weekends

3) Some of us can't be arsed

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Mar 2014 13:01

Can't believe we do not have a better option available than Gunter at RB!

2 points dropped, think it will prove vital come end of season (unless we beat Leeds)

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 09 Mar 2014 13:03

loyalroyal4life Can't believe we do not have a better option available than Gunter at RB!

2 points dropped, think it will prove vital come end of season (unless we beat Leeds)

Gunter hasn't been all that bad IMO. Terrible cock up between him and McCarty yesterday but on the whole I'm impressed by him.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 09 Mar 2014 14:12

brighton_royal
loyalroyal4life Can't believe we do not have a better option available than Gunter at RB!

Gunter hasn't been all that bad IMO. Terrible cock up between him and McCarty yesterday but on the whole I'm impressed by him.

This. Plenty of weaker players in the team that could do with replacing before we look at either of our current full-backs.

No idea why McCarthy came for the cross, he was miles away from the ball. Good keeper, who really hasn't improved this season IMO. Feel my annual Bibbo moan isn't too far away ...

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 Mar 2014 16:35

I watched the extended highlights on FLS and by the look/sound of it it was a drab first half capped by a costly own goal. However, a much improved second half performance should have seen us win it.

Great goal by Drenthe, we need to see more that from him, but disappointing finishes from both Blackman and McAnuff who had done well make a chance for themselves but duly wasted it. The chances could hardly have fallen to two worse players in that situation.

But, after that promising second half display, not to mention one or two returning from injury, I am looking forward to being in attendance away at Leeds on Tuesday night. :P

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 09 Mar 2014 17:00

Good town, good boozers, awful stadium and match day goings on. Not sure if it's any better than the Mad Stad really apart from being in a fashionable seaside city.

Legions and legions of christmas tree fans (both ends) decked out in merchandise and although they do seem to have made an effort to make the ground different, it's still shit. They're not helped by having an insipid team to watch, tedious spoilers. Wasn't really arsed with the game too much as any passion you may have had for football was gone half an hour into the match.

BrightonEye

by BrightonEye » 09 Mar 2014 17:28

Royalclapper Good town, good boozers, awful stadium and match day goings on. Not sure if it's any better than the Mad Stad really apart from being in a fashionable seaside city. ...although they do seem to have made an effort to make the ground different, it's still shit.
Interesting. What in particular did you dislike about the Amex?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 09 Mar 2014 17:51

RoyallyFcuked wrote:
But, after that promising second half display, not to mention one or two returning from injury, I am looking forward to being in attendance away at Leeds on Tuesday night

In which case, as we did Bolt-on 7-1 and they did Leads 5-1, you must be looking forward to us knocking in at least a dozen :lol:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 09 Mar 2014 18:42

BrightonEye
Royalclapper Good town, good boozers, awful stadium and match day goings on. Not sure if it's any better than the Mad Stad really apart from being in a fashionable seaside city. ...although they do seem to have made an effort to make the ground different, it's still shit.
Interesting. What in particular did you dislike about the Amex?

Ok, could be a bit harsh that.

I think maybe because you've got an interesting and enjoyable city to enjoy which differentiates itself quite well from the ordinary, I was maybe expecting something similar in the stadium which would better reflect Brighton in this in this sense. Firstly I would say that if the North Stand End had been made bigger, and the two main stands a bit smaller, there would be a much improved atmosphere which only seems to come from a small section in a small stand thus rendering the larger parts of the stadium somewhat sterile.

Along with the general increase in popularity of football, most clubs, and those like yourselves in a new stadium are sure to have their fair share of flat pack fans but I did think there would be a bit more tradition and authenticity than there was. My overriding thoughts were that now the stadium and the crowds have come there was "if only they weren't here for football" kind of feeling. Maybe I'm just from a time like many for whom football was for football people and not so much geared towards the X-Factor type 'entertainment package' crowd. But that's just my point of view out of thousands of others and if they like it then they can't all be wrong I guess.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 09 Mar 2014 18:59

Still absolutely none the wiser royalclapper.

What were they supposed to do? Fire and h&s regs largely dict8 stadium design.

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 09 Mar 2014 19:21

Getting a train after the game is worse than getting a bus at the Madstad

Particularly enjoyed "put your hands up for Bright-on" at the start too

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 09 Mar 2014 19:24

brighton_royal Still absolutely none the wiser royalclapper.

What were they supposed to do? Fire and h&s regs largely dict8 stadium design.

Well given Brighton's supposed hidden attendence when they were at the Withdean, Im surprised that the capacity, particularly that silly stand behind the goal has been capped to such a ludicrous extent. I cant imagine thats H & S.
The problem with the Amex is very much the problem with the Madejski - its too far from the train station and TC - by the time youve got there the enthusiasm has started to wane.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Mar 2014 19:36

Fire and safety regs don't dictate stadium design any more than they do any other building. They are determine the way a stadium must function in certain areas but a decent architect still has freedom to actually design a stadium. The issue is that none of the new build stadia really have any design put into them, they are functional just like superstores. That's probably for a good reason, why would anyone pay more for an architect to do more to a stadium than make sure it holds a lot of people in line with regulations ?
Additionally most stadia are built using the same materials and methods, because those are the most cost effective rather than the most aesthetically pleasing.
I can't think of a single stadium built in the last 20 years that is in danger of gaining listed status like the stand at Highbury did or the Cottage at Fulham. It's
just not what goes through the mind of people who build grounds these days.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 09 Mar 2014 19:40

I'm still fuming about your pm to Libertine.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Mar 2014 19:48

Mine ?