Michael Hector

DandyDon

Michael Hector

by DandyDon » 02 Apr 2014 17:42

Aberdeen fan here in peace! As you will all no doubt be aware, Hector had a very successful loan period with us before returning south in January. The boy's got huge potential and really looked the part in our team once he settled. He has all the attributes to be a top class defender. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had heard he'd been offered a new contract with Reading a couple of months ago but has yet to sign it, is that right?

He's only had a handful of appearances since he returned to you guys but I haven't heard all that much about his performances. What is the general opinion of him amongst the Reading support and is he likely to sign that new contract, even with no guarantee of regular football? I get the feeling he isn't one of those players happy to sit on the bench and just collect a wage.

He really seemed to enjoy his time up here (despite it being a league many south of the border like to poke fun at) and wants regular first team football, something we can offer him.

Any thoughts or info on his contract situation would be very welcome! Cheers guys.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Michael Hector

by WoodleyRoyal » 02 Apr 2014 17:48

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Apr 2014 17:50

/thread

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Apr 2014 17:51

We're supposedly not dealing with new contracts until we get a new owner (or presumably season end if we don't have one), so officially he shouldn't have been offered a deal. Whether he has or not is anyone's guess.

He's looked reasonably comfortable in his limited centreback displays (1 start 1 sub I think) and a better ball player than any of our others. His last match was in central midfield and he did ok, considering he was played out of position, although I believe he played there for you sometimes?

A lot of us are very keen to see him stay and get into the side as we've got a promising academy and seeing players come through is a positive sign. We're also a bit worried about finances after our Oligarch's son has done a runner so it seems the perfect time to get rid of the big earners and try the youth.

He's picked up a bit of a cult following after commentating on our FA Youth Cup games for the club on Youtube, where he mentions his time at Aberdeen and his goal about every 5 minutes. He obviously thinks very highly of you and was saying he was going up to see you play not that long ago. A cup game iirc?

He's currently 4th choice here, but with one of his competitors getting on and being out of contract as well, he could well find himself a regular next season if he gets a new contract and signs it. I hope you won't be offended but I think playing for Reading in the Championship is a bigger deal than Aberdeen in the SPL, so if he gets offered a decent contract here with the probability of moving up a little in the pecking order I think he'd be mad not to take it. But if he doesn't get an offer from us I suspect he'd be back with you like a shot given the chance.

EDIT: Oh, so apparently we are negotiating on a contract. I'd expect him to stay here then.

DandyDon

by DandyDon » 02 Apr 2014 17:55

Ah, that's disappointing for us. I'm a little surprised he wants to risk not getting much game time at Reading, he's certainly good enough for the Championship should he get the chance to prove it over a prolonged period.

Oh and we won the League Cup, not the Scottish Cup (although we are in the semi-final of the latter). Rag indeed! :P

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Apr 2014 18:02

DandyDon Ah, that's disappointing for us. I'm a little surprised he wants to risk not getting much game time at Reading, he's certainly good enough for the Championship should he get the chance to prove it over a prolonged period.

Oh and we won the League Cup, not the Scottish Cup (although we are in the semi-final of the latter). Rag indeed! :P

Thing is, he's got plenty of examples of our youth players making it here as (semi) regulars. I'd say he's got a pretty good chance of starting at least a few games next season and once he's in there's no reason not to fancy his chances of keeping the place.

Alex McCarthy in goal
Alex Pearce at centreback
Jem Karacan in midfield
Hal Robson-Kanu on the wing / up front
Jordan Obita on the wing / at left back

Gylfi Siggurdsson now at Spurs
Simon Church now at Charlton?

He started the season behind Morrison, Mariappa, Pearce and Gorkss and could well find himself next season third choice behind Morrison and Pearce. One of whom is relatively inexperienced himself and has just come back from a long-term injury.

DandyDon

by DandyDon » 02 Apr 2014 18:10

Ian Royal He's looked reasonably comfortable in his limited centreback displays (1 start 1 sub I think) and a better ball player than any of our others. His last match was in central midfield and he did ok, considering he was played out of position, although I believe he played there for you sometimes?

He's picked up a bit of a cult following after commentating on our FA Youth Cup games for the club on Youtube, where he mentions his time at Aberdeen and his goal about every 5 minutes. He obviously thinks very highly of you and was saying he was going up to see you play not that long ago. A cup game iirc?

I don't remember him ever playing in midfield for us, that's one area where we're very well covered. You're not wrong when you say he's good on the ball, he's got a very calm head and prefers to pass it out of danger rather than hoofing it. His goal was indeed a peach, I can't remember the last time I saw an Aberdeen defender have a pop from outside the box so it was nice to see! He came up last month to watch us in the League Cup Final at Parkhead and he looks out for our scores judging by his Twitter.

Ian Royal He's currently 4th choice here, but with one of his competitors getting on and being out of contract as well, he could well find himself a regular next season if he gets a new contract and signs it. I hope you won't be offended but I think playing for Reading in the Championship is a bigger deal than Aberdeen in the SPL, so if he gets offered a decent contract here with the probability of moving up a little in the pecking order I think he'd be mad not to take it. But if he doesn't get an offer from us I suspect he'd be back with you like a shot given the chance.

EDIT: Oh, so apparently we are negotiating on a contract. I'd expect him to stay here then.

None taken. With the talent he has, however, it would be a waste for him to sign a new contract with Reading only to sit on the bench most of the time. He might be playing against lesser teams in the Scottish Premiership but he'd constantly be playing which can only be good for his development. If he signed with us and a bigger club came calling I'd have no problem with him moving on to bigger and better things.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Apr 2014 18:13

I think there's a fair chance he'll be a regular at our level or higher within a couple of seasons whether he sits on our bench, or plays every game for you next year

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 02 Apr 2014 20:41

He's alright, not as good as people hype him up to be.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Apr 2014 20:44

MouldyRoyal He's alright, not as good as people hype him up to be.

Not his fault tbf, he's from the Academy so that tends to happen with our fans.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 02 Apr 2014 21:37

Yup, true enough.

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 02 Apr 2014 21:44

I seem to remember that during the Crewe (?) game the Reading Player commentator made a comment about the X-Factor because of Harry "Styles" Cardwell, or about Big Hec's rap and asked him if he would apply to X-Factor. If I recall correctly, he replied with "I might have to as I am out of contract in the summer" - the tone sounded more angry/frustrated that he hadn't received an offer from Reading than sheer arrogance.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 02 Apr 2014 23:08

DandyDon
Ian Royal He's looked reasonably comfortable in his limited centreback displays (1 start 1 sub I think) and a better ball player than any of our others. His last match was in central midfield and he did ok, considering he was played out of position, although I believe he played there for you sometimes?

I don't remember him ever playing in midfield for us, that's one area where we're very well covered. You're not wrong when you say he's good on the ball, he's got a very calm head and prefers to pass it out of danger rather than hoofing it. His goal was indeed a peach, I can't remember the last time I saw an Aberdeen defender have a pop from outside the box so it was nice to see! He came up last month to watch us in the League Cup Final at Parkhead and he looks out for our scores judging by his Twitter.

[don't you mean his McTwitter?]

Ian Royal He's currently 4th choice here, but with one of his competitors getting on and being out of contract as well, he could well find himself a regular next season if he gets a new contract and signs it. I hope you won't be offended but I think playing for Reading in the Championship is a bigger deal than Aberdeen in the SPL, so if he gets offered a decent contract here with the probability of moving up a little in the pecking order I think he'd be mad not to take it. But if he doesn't get an offer from us I suspect he'd be back with you like a shot given the chance.

None taken. With the talent he has, however, it would be a waste for him to sign a new contract with Reading only to sit on the bench most of the time. He might be playing against lesser teams in the Scottish Premiership but he'd constantly be playing which can only be good for his development. If he signed with us and a bigger club came calling I'd have no problem with him moving on to bigger and better things.

Personally I would like to see him have a run of games here. He is the best ball playing centre half we have and if he could step up and do well defensively I think he could be a real plus for us especially with the style of okay Adkins wants to play... My fear is if he doesn't then he could go elsewhere, get games and become a very good player..

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 03 Apr 2014 08:26

Hopefully now he is in the team he can have a run of games.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Apr 2014 10:12

i think he looks decent.

big, good with teh ball.

hes certainly not looked out of place when he's played though recently thats not been too hard

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 03 Apr 2014 11:25

Dunno what you want here DandyDon, you have Shaleum Logan instead.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Apr 2014 11:42

Ian Royal
DandyDon Ah, that's disappointing for us. I'm a little surprised he wants to risk not getting much game time at Reading, he's certainly good enough for the Championship should he get the chance to prove it over a prolonged period.

Thing is, he's got plenty of examples of our youth players making it here as (semi) regulars. I'd say he's got a pretty good chance of starting at least a few games next season and once he's in there's no reason not to fancy his chances of keeping the place.

Alex McCarthy in goal
Jem Karacan in midfield

He started the season behind Morrison, Mariappa, Pearce and Gorkss and could well find himself next season third choice behind Morrison and Pearce. One of whom is relatively inexperienced himself and has just come back from a long-term injury.

Add Shane Long (Hull) and Morrisson to that list, both signed by the club as young players, plus Cummings who had a chance but is now 2nd or 3rd choice right back. If you go back further then Simon Cox and Darius Henderson.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Apr 2014 12:09

Royal Biscuitman
Ian Royal

Alex McCarthy in goal
Jem Karacan in midfield

Add Shane Long (Hull) and Morrisson to that list, both signed by the club as young players, plus Cummings who had a chance but is now 2nd or 3rd choice right back. If you go back further then Simon Cox and Darius Henderson.

You cannot include Morrison and Cummings when talking about youth players we have developed......

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Apr 2014 12:17

Wycombe Royal You cannot include Morrison and Cummings when talking about youth players we have developed......

Depends on the definitions of youth and development.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2014 18:00

Royal Biscuitman
Ian Royal

Alex McCarthy in goal
Jem Karacan in midfield

For Long, Cummings and Morrison, they're not academy products, they were straight into the first team squad. Buying in young players is not the same as producing academy players and giving them a chance.

Both Cummings and Morrison were in the 20s when they joined as well iirc.