Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Charlton Match Thread sponsored by Simon Church

by Millsy » 05 Apr 2014 18:38

Sorry to put a dampener on things but

- there's a VERY tough run in for us.
- we are still shit, despite today's narrow win against a relegation candidate
- our home form is a joke

Having said that we can draw comfort from the decent opposition we'll be up against as that's when we bother trying.

Looking forward to my 4th playoff final day of heartache!!!

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 05 Apr 2014 18:49

If we somehow fluke promotion we'll be the worst team to ever get promoted from any division since the dawn of time.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Apr 2014 18:50

1st half was woeful as a spectacle. I don't recall a single shot of note for either team.

2nd half and Charltoin hadn't improved at all but we had. Still wasn't great but enough to create 4 or 5 decent team moves, compared to the hoofball of the 1st half.

Delighted we managed to get a proper quality goal today. Haven't seen Reading score a good goal in bloody ages.
Top finish from Williams.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 05 Apr 2014 19:00

We were rubbish.
Charlton were worse.
Glad we won.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Apr 2014 19:30

Colin Cheeselog If we somehow fluke promotion we'll be the worst team to ever get promoted from any division since the dawn of time.

Derby

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Apr 2014 20:10

Colin Cheeselog If we somehow fluke promotion we'll be the worst team to ever get promoted from any division since the dawn of time.

Agreed.

If we get promoted we might as well fold the club. Even if we don't get promoted it looks like we'll be in administration so will probably have to fold anyway.

Might as well all oxf*rd off and support Chelsea.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Apr 2014 20:27

I just woke up from 6 months in a coma, judging by this I assume we are in the relegation zone?..

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Apr 2014 20:46

windermere_royal I just woke up from 6 months in a coma, judging by this I assume we are in the relegation zone?..

We deserve to be and if the rest of the division wasn't see desperately turgid, we would be. We've just been totally outplayed at home by two bottom half teams and, today, failed to a muster a single effort on or off target in the first half against another relegation candidate. We upped it to mediocre in the second half and that was good enough to win but, make no mistake, whilst on paper we look a decent side, on turf we are garbage and have been for the majority of games this season.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 05 Apr 2014 20:53

I eagerly await the BFTG reports. Sounds awful from what I've read so far on here. I was kind of hoping the return of Williams may galvanise us a bit. I am trying to find causes for optimism should we get promoted via the play offs - and let's face, it far weirder and more unlikely things have happened - but with the match reports on here throughout the season it is proving very, very difficult.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Apr 2014 20:58

We can hardly deserve to be in the relegation zone considering we are unarguably better than the vast majority of teams in the division !
It is a funny season, there's no class sides and results have been all over the place , but some people are unreasonably harsh on our team (probably because it's the team they care about).
I'm hoping we manage to avoid promotion, but am worried the boys will let me down and hang on in ther

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Apr 2014 20:59

Schards#2
windermere_royal I just woke up from 6 months in a coma, judging by this I assume we are in the relegation zone?..

We deserve to be and if the rest of the division wasn't see desperately turgid, we would be. We've just been totally outplayed at home by two bottom half teams and, today, failed to a muster a single effort on or off target in the first half against another relegation candidate. We upped it to mediocre in the second half and that was good enough to win but, make no mistake, whilst on paper we look a decent side, on turf we are garbage and have been for the majority of games this season.

LOL @ saying a team on 63 points in 6th deserves to be in the relegation zone.

We may not be playing well or effectively as a team, but with the quality of players we have that still leaves us better than most of the teams in the division. And would see us top half in any Championship year.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Apr 2014 21:01

Cripple Creek I eagerly await the BFTG reports. Sounds awful from what I've read so far on here. I was kind of hoping the return of Williams may galvanise us a bit. I am trying to find causes for optimism should we get promoted via the play offs - and let's face, it far weirder and more unlikely things have happened - but with the match reports on here throughout the season it is proving very, very difficult.

It's all up in the air really though isn't it? I don't like clichés normally but football really is a funny old game.

Look at Palace last season, in a similar position to us and went up, now they look as if they will stay in the Premier League for another season.

One thing that is important though is, if we are to qualify for the play offs, to gain some momentum in the remaining games so that we can go into the play offs with the wind behind us. Anything is possible if we can do that.

That isn't impossible. Why? Because we've got players coming back from injury, Morrison, Bridge, etc, who will provide more cover on the bench and push others for a place in the team and other players, Williams notably, who have just come back from injury and will push on.

Don't give up yet.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Apr 2014 21:19

Schards#2

We deserve to be

C'mon Schards, you're an intelligent man, engage your brain!

Cripple Creek I am trying to find causes for optimism should we get promoted via the play offs

The return of Daniel Carrico?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Apr 2014 21:35

SCIAG
Schards#2

We deserve to be

C'mon Schards, you're an intelligent man, engage your brain!

Cripple Creek I am trying to find causes for optimism should we get promoted via the play offs

The return of Daniel Carrico?

I'm struggling to think of a season this century where we have played so appallingly in so many games. Maybe it's the recent Prem experience that makes me think this is the worst standard of Championship ever and in other seasons we'd be in relegation trouble. I haven't seen a single team that's really impressed me and have only really enjoyed about 3-4 games, it's been terrible, and all the worse for the expectation that Adkins would take our performances and the entertainment value up a notch. He palpably hasn't.

And yet, I still look at our team on paper and think that, if it plays to potential, we could make the play offs and win them because, on paper, we are a match for anyone and should be doing so much better

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Apr 2014 22:13

Schards#2 and all the worse for the expectation that Adkins would take our performances and the entertainment value up a notch. He palpably hasn't.

For a manager that hasn't been able to bring in his own players, I think he's performed admirably to get us to a play off place.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Apr 2014 23:06

Schards#2 I'm struggling to think of a season this century where we have played so appallingly in so many games.

We have had a very good century! I think we've only finished in the bottom half twice, both in the Premier League. We just don't have appalling seasons these days, certainly compared to the previous 14 years.

I think there's probably a bit of a perception bias here. In previous seasons, all our appalling games have come in one long run (except when we were relegated from the Premier League of course), whereas this season they've been spread through the season. This means there aren't many runs of good games to look back on.

So instead of saying "we had a crap second half of the season" (under Coppell) or "we were really good once Brian sorted things out", we can only say "we weren't as good as we could have been in a lot of matches".

If you could go back and actually count the matches we played appallingly in, say, 04-05, or 09-10, there would probably be at least a similar number to this season.
I haven't seen a single team that's really impressed me

Some people say that every year (usually me!). Remember, we haven't seen the runaway champions yet.
And yet, I still look at our team on paper and think that, if it plays to potential, we could make the play offs and win them because, on paper, we are a match for anyone and should be doing so much better

Agreed. We've perhaps been a little unluckier with injuries than our competitors, but we probably should be doing better than we are. Then again, QPR should be better than they are (though worth noting this is the third successive season that's been the widespread view of them - perhaps all those overpaid 30-somethings aren't as good as they're made out to be!), so perhaps we should be glad matches aren't played on paper.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 06 Apr 2014 00:57

At least, I guess, even if the games are crap for the rest of the season the ramifications of the results will make it a potentially nailbiting few weeks (that's presuming, of course, that anyone gives a toss about us going up).

158 posts