BFTG - Boro

127 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Boro

by PieEater » 22 Apr 2014 23:11

Well that performance was chalk and cheese compared to Friday's shambles at Wigan.

From the start the whole team was up for it and we played some cracking stuff, some of the best we've witnessed this season. Things eased off for the second half but we still had some golden chances to make it 4 or 5, we may regret that if goal difference becomes crucial. I hope Guthrie is Ok, it looked like he'd done his groin, the difference after he went off was noticeable.

Boro offered very little going forward and we were always pretty comfortable, but I'd rather we played rather than the timewasting we saw throughout the second half.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Boro

by bobby1413 » 22 Apr 2014 23:15

PieEater I'd rather we played rather than the timewasting we saw throughout the second half.

I don't think it was timewasting, it was just lack of direction. By that I don't think the team were deliberately running down the clock.. were they?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Apr 2014 23:18

You didn't notice the Boro playing giving us the ball for our free kicks as we performed comedy clown moves to avoid getting it.

As a result we just lost all tempo of play.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Apr 2014 23:19

Was alright I suppose

McCarthy shaky but Günter and Obita good all game (Günter howler in injury time aside). Thought Akpan was fine after he settled into things.

Why oh why do we hump it up to Pog when time and time again he shows he's far better with the ball at his feet?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 22 Apr 2014 23:23

It's no coincidence that the tempo dropped when Pog came on. Hopefully we don't start him at Donny.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Apr 2014 23:24

Thought Pog did well second half. Reckon HRK could struggle to be fit for Donny though

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 22 Apr 2014 23:24

blueroyals It's no coincidence that the tempo dropped when Pog came on. Hopefully we don't start him at Donny.

Laughable, people love to hate on him.

He was our best performer in the second half bar none. Showed determination and had the skill to back it up.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Apr 2014 23:26

John Madejski's Wallet Thought Akpan was fine after he settled into things.

Really? I thought that he might be having an allergic reaction to the football as he seemed to avoid touching it whenever he could. Would rather have seen Hector on the pitch or Leigertwood.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Apr 2014 23:28

Good effort from the crowd tonight as well

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 22 Apr 2014 23:29

Despite the win it was a very underwhelming performance bar the first 10 mins.

It's clear that McCarthy needs to work on his distribution
It's clear that the defence, once under pressure, look very vulnerable
It's clear we have impact players such as McCleary, but rarely make an impact
It's clear that our league position flatters us, but it gives us impetus and (hopefully) momentum going into the playoffs

All we need is a bit of creativity, a bit of panache and we'll be alright.

Good effort from Y25 today. Great atmosphere despite the flat performance from both teams.

JordCot

by JordCot » 22 Apr 2014 23:30

First win I've managed to actually see for an age. Great game, much better performance than recently. Kanu looked good before he came off, as did guthrie. Pog was quality second half and that chance would have been goal of the season if he had buried it. Fans were immense, especially second half, rarely quiet from where I was sat.

Only downside was the dinosaur next to me who for 90mins all I heard from him was 'forward' everytime a player contemplated keeping the ball :roll:

The agony continues right to wembly

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Apr 2014 23:30

blueroyals It's no coincidence that the tempo dropped when Pog came on. Hopefully we don't start him at Donny.

lol, trolling

Pogrebnyak was excellent in the second half and overall the performance from Reading was very professional

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Apr 2014 23:32

First a word on the fans. At 50 mins I wa ready to launch into a rant about them. 10 mins either side of HT they were shameful. Sitting meek as anything when the team was in a difficult stretch. You could feel the game fading away with barely a whimper wll M'bro. And then, oh how they reacted. Before it had been impossible to get anything started. Next we had a solid 10 - 15 mins straight of Nigel Adkins Barmy Army. The stadium almost rocking at times. The team weathered tye storm lifted by the crowd and forged their way back into the match. Dominating for a good period and nearly scoring a couple of times.

more of that please. It clearly made a difference. Everyone who joined in with that is a hero. Even the cockhead four rows behind me who booed Akpan and gave him abuse from the second he stepped on the pitch.

McCarthy 7 untroubled
Gunter 7 for a good plater hes a total calamity. That back pass. That shot. Everything else quality.
obita 8 superb sod bridge.
pearce 7 solid great burst forward.
morro 6 still dodgy but got away with it.
williams 9 unbelievable work rate MOTM.
guthrie 7 quality but you could see he niggled something first half. Last 10-15 he dropped deep because of it and should never have come back out. Anyone who doubts him after sunderland got proof of uis excellent attitude last night. He was gutted he had to go off, near inconsolable. We looked much worse without him.
mccleary 7 obviously not fully fit. Coasted through much of the second half conserving energy for breaks. Another day he'd have destroyed them. Needs to do more defensively, but being fit would help. Crying out to be subbed.
mcanuff 7 linked really well with obita worked exceptionally hard. Caused problems all night.
hrk 7 we looked really quite good with him on and weakened whe he came off
alf 7 usual alf some sublime some gone missing

pog 7 stayed on his feet a lot ball in to him right should have scored twice though created one from nothing.
akpan 6 needs to be more positionally aware. He's too easy to play around. But ok

adkins 7 team selection, 6 subs.

roll on oosing to donny.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Apr 2014 23:32

AbovetheI Despite the win it was a very underwhelming performance bar the first 10 mins.

Really? I must have been at a different game or have you missed the previous 7 home games?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 22 Apr 2014 23:33

Much much better,players showed the commitment and passion us fans crave and the fans responded with their best performance noise wise of the season. Adkins look like a man possessed tonight,great stuff,keep the faith

yappy

by yappy » 22 Apr 2014 23:39

Jordan Obita, what a talent we have. Currently edging my vote for POTS.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 22 Apr 2014 23:45

A million times better than 80% of this season. Impressed with McAnuff, McCleary, and everyone really, but Pog was superb. McCarthy made some great stops but his distribution is woeful. Could all of been so different if 'Boro had buried that chance at 1-0.

Excellent at times from the fans.

We are so obviously struggling with injuries and the play offs will really, really push us if we make them. But before todays game I didn't want to be there. Now, I'm getting more and more excited.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 22 Apr 2014 23:48

Actually, with the possibility of having Charlton, Fulham, Millwall, Brenford, Orient/Swindon, Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford and QPR away next season, let's stay down please!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Apr 2014 23:50

Oh yeah. I forgot to add Middlesbrough were oxf*rd gash in all departments. One of the worst sides I've seen this season

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Apr 2014 23:51

Williams 8
Obita 9
McCleary 8 (despite injury and fitness)

Otherwise I agree with Ian, pretty much word for word.

Feeling pretty smug after being irrationally optimistic over the past few weeks, I hope we keep up this standard. Might be tricky without Guthrie, I'd be seriously tempted to put Kuhl in.

127 posts