164 posts
The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Jobi McAnuff tribute thread

by The Rouge » 07 May 2014 09:30

Maguire Club legend IMHO.

Loved this goal, just a proper GTFI moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjGk5ocfSM4

Deserves a lot more respect than a lot of Reading fans have ever given him. Wish him all the best.

+1 to both

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 May 2014 09:30

southbank1871 Nice to see the illusion that Murty was a great captain lives on to this day. McAnuff was a much better captain and by all accounts actually had the respect of his team m8s and wasn't a total pcunt.

Very disappointed to not see him offered a new contract and it's now the sad realisation that we're going to be left with the likes of Guthrie and Drenthe.

Agree. Contrary to those who think being a great captain is all about shouting and clapping hands, McAnuff was the better captain of the two. Really liked Murts but he was a good showman and expert at his own PR.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 May 2014 09:57

Can we re-sign Jobi yet, a la Leeds sacking McDermott?

Probably time to go, but I'm still sad :(

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 May 2014 10:15

southbank1871 Nice to see the illusion that Murty was a great captain lives on to this day. McAnuff was a much better captain and by all accounts actually had the respect of his team m8s and wasn't a total pcunt.

Very disappointed to not see him offered a new contract and it's now the sad realisation that we're going to be left with the likes of Guthrie and Drenthe.

hopefully they'll oxf*rd off and itll be karacan and williams

would be horrible if not

liamobey

by liamobey » 07 May 2014 10:17

What about the song?

Cleared a pub in Peckham once, The Montpelier i believe. There was absolutely no music on, it was full of crafty types getting their scrabble on. They all seemed to be enjoying their Brooklyn lager and chats about Dostoevsky when my friend, bare chested and oxf*rd on snakebite takes to the stage/raised area and starts singing "Nannananananana Jobi McAnuff" about 10 of us started dancing, not unlike Mick Hucknell TBF. Didn't get chucked out. Barman was happy we gave the night a kick up the arse.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 May 2014 10:29

best player song for twenty years

liamobey

by liamobey » 07 May 2014 10:32

melonhead best player song for twenty years

See Leigertwood thread :D

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 07 May 2014 11:15

I'm not surprised to see Mikele Leigertwood, Kaspars Gorkss, Wayne Bridge & Stuart Taylor released as they are not first choice and getting on a bit, However Jobi McAnuff was the captain and also a regular first choice starter.

This can only be good news for Jordan Obita, he's now first choice for two positions IMO.

All the best to Jobi, you got some stick off us but you served the club well.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 May 2014 11:23

Fist bump.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 07 May 2014 11:50

Pepe the Horseman

Fist bump.

Exactly.

"But he clapped the East Stand all the time!!11!!"

Bellend.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 07 May 2014 11:55

You could never knock his attitude. He always worked hard. Frustrated and amazed in equal measure. Thanks for the memories.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 May 2014 12:38

Royal Biscuitman I'm not surprised to see Mikele Leigertwood, Kaspars Gorkss, Wayne Bridge & Stuart Taylor released as they are not first choice and getting on a bit, However Jobi McAnuff was the captain and also a regular first choice starter.

This can only be good news for Jordan Obita, he's now first choice for two positions IMO.

All the best to Jobi, you got some stick off us but you served the club well.

Jordan will stay in his current position. If he moved to fill Jobi's role, we'd have no left backs :idea:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 May 2014 12:47

St. Brynjar
Ian Royal I can do McAnuff no greater honour than posting up my Royals Allstar XI

.......................Shaka
...Murty, Ingimarsson, Wdowczyk, Shorey
.................Harper, Sidwell
Little..............Sigurdsson.........McAnuff
.......................Kitson

He wasn't bad but...Kebe? Convey? Hunt?

Kebe's a right winger and just loses out to Little. Convey had one great season, Hunt had two great half seasons. McAnuff consistently better than either. Gilkes runs him closer than those two IMO.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 May 2014 12:47

How do you know McAnuff was a better captain?
All we ever saw on the pitch was him pointing at others when he f****d things up and flapping his arms when he dived and didn't got a free kick or a penalty.

IMHO Murty was a much better player for us (remember how well the club did in that first Premier season) although I thought McAnuff was very good in his Wimbledon days and we haven't seen the best of him.
Hardly a legend but a decent player for us who is now too old and clearly wants more money than the club is prepared to pay now that we are a Championship club.
The worst of it all though is that Blackman or Kanu might be vying for the left-wing spot-2 players that are under contract for far too long to come and 2 players that lack any drive or bottle.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 May 2014 12:50

Take it elsewhere Victor, this is a tribute thread. If you want to start an argument, start a new thread.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 07 May 2014 13:10

Top player shame he didn't get at least one more season.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 07 May 2014 13:12

the only one out the 5 released i'm disappointed to see go.

didn't get the plaudits for the tracking back and helping out of a full back that he should have got. He was a put a proper shift in, never left a runner, and always tired 100% even when he was clearly struggling on the day. Also get the feeling he was one of the only players to play for the shirt, rather than to win.

Hope he goes on to another championship club and gets the welcome back he deserves

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 May 2014 13:13

+1 for inclusion in the unsung Reading legends team.

Terrific player and, by my reckoning, the most popular player we've ever had, amongst both teamm8s and the opposition. Genuinely respected by just about everyone, bar a fair few Mad Stad idiots.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 07 May 2014 13:15

Victor Meldrew

All we ever saw on the pitch was him pointing at others when he f****d things up and flapping his arms when he dived and didn't got a free kick or a penalty.

IMHO Murty was a much better player for us (remember how well the club did in that first Premier season) although I thought McAnuff was very good in his Wimbledon days and we haven't seen the best of him.
Hardly a legend but a decent player for us who is now too old and clearly wants more money than the club is prepared to pay now that we are a Championship club.
The worst of it all though is that Blackman or Kanu might be vying for the left-wing spot-2 players that are under contract for far too long to come and 2 players that lack any drive or bottle.

I'm ITK and proud of it OK?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 May 2014 13:36

southbank1871
Victor Meldrew

I'm ITK and proud of it OK?

If you are so ITK what will win the 1-45 at Chester?

164 posts