It's a generational thing

nicktamarensis

It's a generational thing

by nicktamarensis » 21 May 2014 01:07

Ok, ok get the newbie crapology out of the way first if you must.............have read Hob Nob for probably too long for my own health and safety - but then, hell, it's all subjective, fun and an opportunity to shit over your own soapbox.................
Idle speculation.........(Bury, in the rain, 'kin soaked - crowd about 2,500 or so and knowing we were going to get beat again by one of our hoodo sides circa 1975ish)
Been supporting Reading since a midweek match v Pompey at Elm Park in '62 or thereabouts when I was knee high to something unmentionable so that makes me an oldbie and overdue for a loyalty award to pop in my wooden box or bunch of firelighters.........
Question : Just wondering how far the RFC support carry over from father/wife to son/daughter and then to grandson/daughter and then (gulp) even further down the line to great g'son?daughter extends for you guys.
Is there a claim to an RFC ancestry support record out there? I can claim a descendancy from myself to 2 daughters and (so far) one grandson, but there's got to be some family support record out there that's longer than that!!.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: It's a generational thing

by LUX » 21 May 2014 04:39

Hi Nick

Where did you use to stand? I started a bit after you, around 1969. Tilehurst end.

Wrt your question, my dad was not a fan, but my son supports Reading from afar. He's even been - very underage- to the Bree Louise.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 21 May 2014 08:44

LUX Hi Nick

Where did you use to stand? I started a bit after you, around 1969. Tilehurst end.

Wrt your question, my dad was not a fan, but my son supports Reading from afar. He's even been - very underage- to the Bree Louise.

Started watching the same year as you. First game I think we got beat 3-0 against Bristol city. Unfortunately my son is a Tottenham fan- took him there to watch a few games while Reading were away and my daughter is a Chelsea fan so no inherited fan progression there. Think I have only missed at most 3/4 games at home despite living in Chichester, Manchester and Bradford, although back home now.As they say its in your blood. My daughter's partner is a professional footballer. My nephews are at the Arsenal academy and my Grandad played for Arsenal way back. So football is very much a part of my family - except for my wife who hates it!

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 21 May 2014 10:40

I was the first of the family, but I've thoroughly converted my Dad from West Ham to Reading over the years. Unfortunately even though Ms Ouro is a regular attendee she has been making threatening noises about taking the kids to watch Sheffield United.

:x

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2014 10:42

Just do what I'm doing and make them Man City fans. It's a good compromise.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 21 May 2014 10:48

Her Dad's a Man City fan so at least someone would be happy.

Why are you doing it?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2014 10:49

Because I'm a glory hunter.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2014 10:55

Parents came from London and had no interest in football, let alone Reading FC. So I'm generation 1 in my family. I've got a nephew interested, but that might be waning a little as he gets older. No kids to pass on the infection to as yet.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 21 May 2014 10:59

Pepe the Horseman Because I'm a glory hunter.

Turncoat. :evil:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2014 11:01

Ouroboros

We'll have season tickets together at the Etihad in 10 years.

nicktamarensis

by nicktamarensis » 21 May 2014 11:08

Hi Lux,
Until the kids arrived I was always behind the goal at the Tilehurst end. When my two girls came along from about the age of 6 or so in the Stands nearest those choice loos. My eldest still talks about the first game she went to - Newport County, 2-1, Ollie Kearns scored one of them. Then the time Bobby Gould took his balls in his hand and stemmed a pitch invasion during those 'bad old days. When the girls grew a bit more we returned to the Tilehust end - dunno whether you remember, I was the ginger haired geezer with a beard and two blonde daughters on each side. I used to stand there with a bit of paper and record the number of corners and other trivia - sad but true. The things you do for love.....................

Davezk

by Davezk » 21 May 2014 11:08

Not for me. My dad is a Wolves fan and my mum is a Villa fan.

I'd like to hope any future children I have will be Reading fans with a bit of persuasion.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 May 2014 11:11

My dad and uncle are both Reading fans. My Grandad used to take them, he looks out for our results, but don't think he's really a Reading fan.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 May 2014 11:28

3rd generation here.

My dad's family moved to Berkshire in the late 50s. Grandad, dad and uncle started going to Reading around the mid 60s.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 May 2014 12:17

I'm the first generation in my family, my Dad is from Birmingham and is a West Brom supporter. My son who is 6 will now be entering his second season as a season ticket holder......

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 21 May 2014 12:39

First went to a game in 1969 but both parents used to go before I was born and my mum used to go with her dad in 1940s. In fact my grandfather played there I think, he was a regular goalie at Henley. Don't know anything about his father I'm afraid.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2014 12:39

First in my family.

I tried to convert my nephew back in the 90's. Took him to a couple of games, the first of which was the washed out League Cup game against Bury. He never really showed an interest in football until 4 months ago when he declared himself a Chelsea fan. He is now dead to me.

It's more difficult now with my own as we live up in Yorkshire. Their first game was a midweek 2-1 home win against Millwall about 4 years ago. The eldest has shown no interest since and the youngest has declared himself a Leeds supporter.

I guess I'm on my own, although my 3 year old daughter has a Reading kit which she loves wearing.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 21 May 2014 12:43

Like my Grandad and my Dad, I grew up in Reading and supporting them came naturally. I left the Royal County in the early '80s but made sure that family visits coincided with home games (and rarely went home in the summer!). Of my 4 youngsters, the eldest (daughter) has no interest in football, second daughter has a passing interest (and did go to Wembley for Swansea when I couldn't), but my two boys (both at secondary school) are STHs, despite never having lived closer than 65 miles from Reading.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 May 2014 12:44

Ian Royal No kids to pass on the infection to as yet.

Imagine Ian's babies :?: A little bald wrinkly thing.....having a child of his own 8)

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 21 May 2014 12:48

Pepe the Horseman
Ouroboros

We'll have season tickets together at the Etihad in 10 years.

And those years watching Reading will be our dirty little secret :?