Confimred new owners of Raeding Footbal Club

8684 posts
Isaac Hunt

Re: Buyout

by Isaac Hunt » 23 Apr 2014 23:05

Man Friday Don't forget it's Zingy's share that he's trying to sell. Sounds like Zingy is holding out for a high price (perhaps waiting to see if we get in the PL).

He's trying to sell 100%, not just Az's share. He wants rid of it all.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Apr 2014 09:11

The challenge in selling at the moment is that there are a lot of clubs on the market at the moment, like Birmingham, etc. and only a few people interested in laundering their money in these times of global uncertainty

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 24 Apr 2014 12:19

Isn't it obvious that no one will buy until they know whether we'll be promoted? Would you?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2014 12:30

Uke The challenge in selling at the moment is that there are a lot of clubs on the market at the moment, like Birmingham, etc. and only a few people interested in laundering their money in these times of global uncertainty

A significant proportion of prospective owners aren't going to make it through SJM's fit and proper person test. Even if it may just be based on the strength of their handshake and how polite and respectable they come across.

Out of all of the takeovers over the last 5-10 years... how many would you say have been conducted by people not looking to launder money, asset strip or make a quick buck and leave? I'd guess at needing less than two hands worth of fingers to count them all.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Apr 2014 14:42

Ian Royal
Uke The challenge in selling at the moment is that there are a lot of clubs on the market at the moment, like Birmingham, etc. and only a few people interested in laundering their money in these times of global uncertainty

A significant proportion of prospective owners aren't going to make it through SJM's fit and proper person test. Even if it may just be based on the strength of their handshake and how polite and respectable they come across.

Out of all of the takeovers over the last 5-10 years... how many would you say have been conducted by people not looking to launder money, asset strip or make a quick buck and leave? I'd guess at needing less than two hands worth of fingers to count them all.

That's three then if you live in Cambridgeshire.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Apr 2014 17:31

I escaped the customs finger cull when I moved here, so I've still got the usual 10 digits. I appreciate that's still two fewer than you.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 24 Apr 2014 18:53

I hear SJM not only wants the Stadium Name unchanged but also wants a Gaurantee that he keeps the Penthouse above the Hotel for life....
People who know him tell me he is a very lonely man these days and hardly spends any time at his huge house in West Berkshire. Alledgedly he has lost many friends/aquaintences over money and alcohol fulled letching.
Sad if true but if it is then this is all he has now and he wont let it go cheaply.
With all the rumours who actually knows who owns what?
If AZ never paid up for the 51% as i have also been told then does that mean JM has the final say on everything?
I have also been told that the parachute money we received quickly dissapeared up the Voldegrad !
Im no accountant and alot of it goes over my head but if thats true and i guess we wont know until 2013-2014 accounts are filed and released then we are right up shit creek !

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Apr 2014 19:35

loyalroyaldaz I hear SJM not only wants the Stadium Name unchanged but also wants a Gaurantee that he keeps the Penthouse above the Hotel for life....
People who know him tell me he is a very lonely man these days and hardly spends any time at his huge house in West Berkshire. Alledgedly he has lost many friends/aquaintences over money and alcohol fulled letching.
Sad if true but if it is then this is all he has now and he wont let it go cheaply.
If AZ never paid up for the 51% as i have also been told then does that mean JM has the final say on everything?
I have also been told that the parachute money we received quickly dissapeared up the Voldegrad !
Im no accountant and alot of it goes over my head but if thats true and i guess we wont know until 2013-2014 accounts are filed and released then we are right up shit creek !

Didn't AZ pay for his 51%, and it was the 49% he failed to come up with? However, SJM claims the board have given him the backing to take control of the club again - I don't know how that works, but they were SJM's words to the press. What you say about the Stadium name appears to be correct (certainly a lot of trustworthy people backing it up), and his apartment in the hotel that he wants to keep, It's a tad ironic that the fans that worship him as our savior may be worshiping the one person that 'could' actually be holding up the sale of the club with his demands.

It's worth mentioning though that both the club and hotel are seperate entities and both up for sale, but a new owner in the club may well want both. Also that Derby signed a £7m 10 year stadium rebranding deal this year, and with FFP in place, any new owner will want to maximise the clubs income with a similar deal; and if SJM is putting a stop to that, that could well be a deal breaker considering it's £700,000 a season income that will be denied because of ego/pride etc..

Esteban

by Esteban » 24 Apr 2014 21:55

SPARTA
loyalroyaldaz I hear SJM not only wants the Stadium Name unchanged but also wants a Gaurantee that he keeps the Penthouse above the Hotel for life....

Didn't AZ pay for his 51%, and it was the 49% he failed to come up with? However, SJM claims the board have given him the backing to take control of the club again - I don't know how that works, but they were SJM's words to the press. What you say about the Stadium name appears to be correct (certainly a lot of trustworthy people backing it up), and his apartment in the hostel that he wants to keep, It's a tad ironic that the fans that worship him as our savior may be worshiping the one person that 'could' actually be holding up the sale of the club with his demands.

It's worth mentioning though that both the club and hotel are seperate entities and both up for sale, but a new owner in the club may well want both. Also that Derby signed a £7m 10 year stadium rebranding deal this year, and with FFP in place, any new owner will want to maximise the clubs income with a similar deal; and if SJM is putting a stop to that, that could well be a deal breaker considering it's £700,000 a season income that will be denied because of ego/pride etc..

If Zingarevich owns 51%, then can he not force the sale, regardless of anything SJM may want?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Apr 2014 22:33

Isaac Hunt
Man Friday Don't forget it's Zingy's share that he's trying to sell. Sounds like Zingy is holding out for a high price (perhaps waiting to see if we get in the PL).

He's trying to sell 100%, not just Az's share. He wants rid of it all.

Maybe but the point is that he can only sell Zingy's shares if Zingy's happy with the price - which he apparently isn't at the moment, probably because he's afraid of selling the shares at Championship prices only to see them rocket in value if we were to get promoted.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Apr 2014 22:35

Esteban
SPARTA

Didn't AZ pay for his 51%, and it was the 49% he failed to come up with? However, SJM claims the board have given him the backing to take control of the club again - I don't know how that works, but they were SJM's words to the press. What you say about the Stadium name appears to be correct (certainly a lot of trustworthy people backing it up), and his apartment in the hostel that he wants to keep, It's a tad ironic that the fans that worship him as our savior may be worshiping the one person that 'could' actually be holding up the sale of the club with his demands.

If Zingarevich owns 51%, then can he not force the sale, regardless of anything SJM may want?

He can only sell his 51%. He cannot force Madejski to sell his shares.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Apr 2014 22:38

Esteban
SPARTA

Who knows who has what say. All we really know is there has been several interested parties, the Omani's were around for many months and deemed the favoured choice, and no-one has taken over the club for whatever the reason(s). For SJM to now go public and say it's critical we find a buyer, well that's not exactly a great selling pitch, and sends out all sorts of messages. Not exactly the sort of thing you say when you want x amount for your shares, and interested parties hear that and try and get the club on the cheap, which doesn't appear to be likely. I don't think it's unfair to suggest we should be very concerned about the clubs future, even if the suggestion of administration is premature at this stage - the fact is we're in the shit, and someone needs to take it on and try and keep us going forwards. How likely is that?

under the tin

by under the tin » 25 Apr 2014 08:29

Seems to me that JM's remark is made with total candour.

He always preached the gospel of the business "paying its own way".
He sold out to what he thought was a consortium who were prepared to push the financial envelope a bit more, so stood aside, and watched that group rubber stamp the signings and wage deals that he would not have countenanced under his tenure.
That group not only have welshed on the purchase of the rest of his shares, but the "investment" bit of TSI has also evaporated.
He's left as the only visible face of the club's ownership, holding the dubious baby of trying to sell a club with an unsustainable wage bill, and playing assets that will be difficult to move on in order to lighten that wage bill, because of the size of their wage packet. He's also trying to sell the club as the minority shareholder, so he doesn't have the final call, and any offer he may find acceptable can be veto'd by TSI (AZ).

I think he's got every right to be very concerned. So should we all be.
In the words of the song.....There may be trouble ahead. Time will tell if we face the music and dance.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 25 Apr 2014 17:10

under the tin Seems to me that JM's remark is made with total candour.

He sold out to what he thought was a consortium who were prepared to push the financial envelope a bit more, so stood aside, and watched that group rubber stamp the signings and wage deals that he would not have countenanced under his tenure.
That group not only have welshed on the purchase of the rest of his shares, but the "investment" bit of TSI has also evaporated.
He's left as the only visible face of the club's ownership, holding the dubious baby of trying to sell a club with an unsustainable wage bill, and playing assets that will be difficult to move on in order to lighten that wage bill, because of the size of their wage packet. He's also trying to sell the club as the minority shareholder, so he doesn't have the final call, and any offer he may find acceptable can be veto'd by TSI (AZ).

In the words of the song.....There may be trouble ahead. Time will tell if we face the music and dance.

Good post.

Zingarevich was bought a toy he couldn't afford to keep and has left us teetering on the brink of administration. Madejski was often quoted after AZ's disappearance that the family were being very supportive - I guess that was also not the whole truth. If we have to sell our better players and start off next year with minus 10 points we'll almost certainly be in League One the season after.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2014 18:13

Who Moved The Goalposts?

Good post.

Zingarevich was bought a toy he couldn't afford to keep and has left us teetering on the brink of administration. Madejski was often quoted after AZ's disappearance that the family were being very supportive - I guess that was also not the whole truth. If we have to sell our better players and start off next year with minus 10 points we'll almost certainly be in League One the season after.

Do you not think that's a LITTLE melodramatic?

IN's since AZ:

Jason Roberts
Adrian Mariappa
Improved Kebe contract
Daniel Carrico
Danny Guthrie
Danny Williams
Pavel Pogrebynak
Garath McCleary
Chris Gunter
Royston Drenthe
Wayne Bridge

OUT's since AZ:
Jason Roberts
Adrian Mariappa
Jimmy Kebe
Daniel Carrico
Wayne Bridge (presuming we don't renew)

So we're left with what we had when JM was in charge + the below players:

Danny Guthrie
Danny Williams
Pavel Pogrebynak
Garath McCleary
Chris Gunter
Royston Drenthe

I'd hardly call that financial armageddon. We would easily find homes for them all bar Drenthe.

I agree it wouldn't be good to sell them all but Reading could sustain championship football comfortably if we did have to clear them all out & replace with a few bargain buys.

under the tin

by under the tin » 25 Apr 2014 18:34

Going back to League 1, in itself, is not the end of the world.

My worst nightmare is us being in League 1, and only seeing our McCarthys, Obitas, Williamses etc. on the telly wearing someone else's shirt, because they had to be sold off to continue to fund the ridiculously bloated wages of overrated players like Guthrie and Pogrebnyak, and utter wastes of space like Drenthe still poncing about in our shirt against the likes of Rotherham.

Re: MMM.
I would agree about Williams, Gunter, and McCleary, but easy to find a buyer for Pog/Guthrie? On their wages? I wish I shared your optimism.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2014 18:49

Yes I would agree Pog would potentially be tricky but confident we'd sell Guthrie.

Besides - we are assuming the worst in that they just want to see their contracts out. Both Pog & Guthrie IMO have shown they give a sh1t so who knows they might want out anyway after 2 quite dismal seasons.

In addition, if we have to consider making a small contribution to their wages to get some of these players out then perhaps we have to look at doing that. Paying £5k per week for Pog for 1 more year is better than paying £40k per week or whatever it is he earns.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Apr 2014 19:24

Spot on, in every respect.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Apr 2014 19:27

under the tin Going back to League 1, in itself, is not the end of the world.

My worst nightmare is us being in League 1, and only seeing our McCarthys, Obitas, Williamses etc. on the telly wearing someone else's shirt, because they had to be sold off to continue to fund the ridiculously bloated wages of overrated players like Guthrie and Pogrebnyak, and utter wastes of space like Drenthe still poncing about in our shirt against the likes of Rotherham.

Re: MMM.
I would agree about Williams, Gunter, and McCleary, but easy to find a buyer for Pog/Guthrie? On their wages? I wish I shared your optimism.

Naïve, some would say.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 25 Apr 2014 20:19

MmmMonsterMunch Yes I would agree Pog would potentially be tricky but confident we'd sell Guthrie.

Besides - we are assuming the worst in that they just want to see their contracts out. Both Pog & Guthrie IMO have shown they give a sh1t so who knows they might want out anyway after 2 quite dismal seasons.

In addition, if we have to consider making a small contribution to their wages to get some of these players out then perhaps we have to look at doing that. Paying £5k per week for Pog for 1 more year is better than paying £40k per week or whatever it is he earns.

26k.

8684 posts