Who Goes? McCarthy. Confimred.

299 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who Goes? McCarthy. Confimred.

by tidus_mi2 » 31 Aug 2014 02:05

RoyallyFcuked Shame we couldn't keep McCarthy, probably the best ever talent to come from our academy.

Gylfi won't be impressed by that opinion!

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 31 Aug 2014 03:54

On the subject of Gylfi he is getting some pretty gushing praise for his performance - well, on the BBC anyway - for Swansea yesterday. We all know how good he is and I think, and I really, really hope for him that this season he proves just how good he is and how well equipped he is to play at the very top level.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2014 08:30

tidus_mi2
RoyallyFcuked Shame we couldn't keep McCarthy, probably the best ever talent to come from our academy.

This.

Watching motd and Gylfi just looks a class above.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 31 Aug 2014 12:16

sandman
tidus_mi2

This.

Watching motd and Gylfi just looks a class above.

Agreed that Gylfi is class, it's a close call between him and McCarthy.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2014 12:24

Not really.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Aug 2014 13:28

Agree with sandman.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Aug 2014 16:10

To be fair, you could argue that neither McCarthy or Sigurdsson are products of the academy as they joined relatively late (16+ I IIRC).

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 01 Sep 2014 01:37

sandman Not really.

Ian Royal Agree with sandman.

Right now it's Gylfi but it could definitely be McCarthy in the future, depends how far he goes.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Sep 2014 11:34

Zana Badawi
Royal Rother Oh come on. The club could have offered him a big new contract so that when the accounts are released paddy20 and others could moan about how ridiculously high our wages are and how extraordinarily badly run the club is....

Its what we did for Pearce and HRK. Spent quite some time over it as well.

Its not only that McCarthy has gone but that we've got ourselves into a position that we had to accept under the going rate for him. There are two reasons for that.
1. We've let his contract run out
2. His loss of form from the middle to the end of last year.

So, somehow, in the period of between half a season and a season we have, as a club, seem McCarthy change from one of the most exciting goalkeeping prospects we've ever seen at the club, to one we appear to be congratulating ourselves for offloading him (almost sideways) to one of the more tinpot of the Premiership clubs for a reduced fee.

There are so many scenarios where this has come about because of mismanagement that we have to at least question it.

The fact that we have gone back to a keeper that wasn't good enough to get in the squad for a year and a half is about as clear cut a critique of how we've gone backwards during NA's reign as there exists. Sure we have to keep money coming in in the modern football world, but somebody has ballsed up here.

He's gone because of his good form and, with respect to our little club, he was always going to move on to bigger and better opportunities even before we got relegated because of the promise he's shown.

I'm not sure how you think we could've got him to sign a new contract if he didn't want to because he knew he was going to want to leave at some point. It's the way of the world that players will move on when their talent, or at least their potential and worth, leaves us behind.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Sep 2014 13:03

12 months left on his contract is key for me. Sorry to see him go as in my opinion he is a better keeper than Feds, who is a very decent keeper too, but Alex has the potential to keep improving and will be a top top keeper.

We don't know what conversations have taken place behind the scenes re a new contract for Alex but if he made it clear he would be running it down and would take his chances with what offers come his way in a years time we had little option to get the best d£al for the club now.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Sep 2014 13:49

Mr Optimist 12 months left on his contract is key for me. Sorry to see him go as in my opinion he is a better keeper than Feds, who is a very decent keeper too, but Alex has the potential to keep improving and will be a top top keeper.

We don't know what conversations have taken place behind the scenes re a new contract for Alex but if he made it clear he would be running it down and would take his chances with what offers come his way in a years time we had little option to get the best d£al for the club now.

Spot on - this was obviously the best deal RFC could get.

The problem is we have so many players on short term contracts whereas big clubs usually make sure that players are on 4-5 year contracts to avoid these situations. But as RFC is cash strapped we cannot afford to sign players on long term deals and so we will lose players too cheaply from time to time - but overall the club is still better off financially getting lower transfer fees for some players - rather than having huge amounts of dead wood (like Drenthe) on long term deals - which is a fast route to bankruptcy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2014 18:33

Lets face it, long term deals haven't exactly served us well recently coughpogcough

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 05 Sep 2014 15:18

SJM's having a clear out

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Sep 2014 15:39

He has probably attached an icecream van music box to it and will be going around all the clubs in the UK.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Sep 2014 16:29

Hoop Blah To be fair, you could argue that neither McCarthy or Sigurdsson are products of the academy as they joined relatively late (16+ I IIRC).

Both aged 16 - Gylfi from Breiðablik (16 and just under a month), McCarthy from Wycombe. McCarthy had only been at Wycome for a year though, joining in 05, leaving for us in 06.

Interestingly :?: , McCarthy was with Jem Karacan at Wimbledon until they became defunct.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 08 Sep 2014 00:57

Good luck to those waiting for a sell on clause bumper pay day.

As Floyd will tell you, we never sell a player on for more money than we paid for them

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Sep 2014 09:08

Says 'arry.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Sep 2014 10:03

Tredder Good luck to those waiting for a sell on clause bumper pay day.

As Floyd will tell you, we never sell a player on for more money than we paid for them

Jamie Mackie and Loic Remy? Just two examples recently.......

The extra you made on those two could have provided a sell on that would have been enough to fill a tank of petrol......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2014 17:04

It's apparently not always on profit either.

299 posts