SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Anton Ferdinand

by SPARTA » 02 Aug 2014 23:29

LoyalRoyal22
SPARTA
yappy Charles Watts @charles_watts · 23m
Adkins very coy on Anton Ferdinand as you would expect. Didn't really want to discuss it but said, 'we'll see what happens' #readingfc

He's coming then. SJM also suggested the Thai's may put money into the quad before the FL sign off on the takeover.

Could well see this Spanish LB, Ferdinand and Sharp all come in on free's. Not bad really if it happens.

Why you still obsessed with Sharp ?? Average championship forward at best. Didn't set the world alight on his loan move with us.

Assuming there wont be a lot to spend in the transfer market (don't forget there are a lot of new contracts to negotiate), can you name two strikers on the cheap that have proven Championship quality, that we can afford? Sharp fits the bill, Adkins knows him and his strengths. He'd be perfect for us.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 07:32

Don't forget, we are better than Sharp and Ferdinand now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Aug 2014 09:09

Oh good, so we have the ability to get players in now and normal service has resumed.

"Don't want him here, he's shit" - before someone has even signed for the club. :roll:

Give people a chance before you write them off.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 03 Aug 2014 09:51

Seriously think that some need a bit of a reality check in all regards. I can't see how we are suddenly going to be splashing out for players beyond the level of Ferdinand, Sharp, Do Prado, and any other cheap-ish or free types. We are going to scrape by, I really don't see us taking expensive punts with spiralling wages.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 03 Aug 2014 11:22

Lovely hot donuts! You can never have too many centre-backs.

Killer. POTD.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Aug 2014 11:28

Lovely hot donuts! You can never have too many centre-backs.

Especially when your main back up is Michael Hector.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 11:52

Royal Rother Don't forget, we are better than Sharp and Ferdinand now.

Absolutely-two players with poor injury records that now might not be even up to Championship standard with QPR letting Ferdinand go on a free (and fit enough to play just 3 games in Turkey last season) and Doncaster or Scunthorpe are the only places where Sharp seems to shine.
Our aim should still be to get back to the Premier League having finished 7th last season and with further parachute payments to come so yes we should be looking at better and probably younger and fitter than these two.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Anton Ferdinand

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2014 12:15

Parachute payments are not intended to finance club's promotion campaigns...

They are to help sort out the financial mes that getting nto the Premiership leaves many clubs in.

And it's probably worth having a reality check if you think this season is about getting promoted.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Aug 2014 12:23

I am bemused that some posters on here think that we are too good for the likes of Sharpe and Ferdinand.

I can see that they are both too injury prone and for that reason maybe they wouldn't be good signings but these are the sort of players I think we will be signing.

Long gone are the days of us adding quality to the squad each year with the likes of a Sidwell, Harper and Lita. The heavy investment in the academy means that the club will be expecting one or two of the academy players to make the step up each year.

Therefore, to help them I can see us signing more experienced journeymen type players who won't cost a fortune.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 03 Aug 2014 12:49

Contrary to several on these "transfer target" threads I think another Centre Back is a must, last season we had more shots on goal against us than any other Championship side, on lots of ocassions match reports last season goals were conceded with the teams breaking our offside trap or the two incumbant CB's getting in each others way. We have no pace with Pearce and Morrison, both of whom seem to have stalled in their performances and are not improving.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 12:54

Victor Meldrew

Absolutely-two players with poor injury records that now might not be even up to Championship standard with QPR letting Ferdinand go on a free (and fit enough to play just 3 games in Turkey last season) and Doncaster or Scunthorpe are the only places where Sharp seems to shine.
Our aim should still be to get back to the Premier League having finished 7th last season and with further parachute payments to come so yes we should be looking at better and probably younger and fitter than these two.

Clueless.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 12:57

blythspartan I am bemused that some posters on here think that we are too good for the likes of Sharpe and Ferdinand.

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being ironic.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 13:29

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

Clueless.

What, you are? Good of you to own up and admit it.
Anyway what do you care, don't you follow Binfield or somebody?

In the football league the aim of most clubs at lower levels is to get promoted-to do so you must try to improve the squad year by year.
It could well be that our youngsters will come in and do well but this is a very hard level to break into when these youngsters have only been playing kids' football.
With new ownership and new money I would expect Adkins to be able to buy some new players to replace those that have left-it's what clubs do.

My view is that Sharp and Ferdinand are high risk options from an injury point of view as well as both not necessarily now up to this level.
Every season the club talks of ambition-I'm waiting for the owners to speak about it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 14:22

Victor Meldrew

You don't seem to understand finance.

Just having parachute payments doesn't mean you can afford to spend more than you're already spending. They're there so you don't have to cut as drastically when your annual income would otherwise drop from circa £50m to about £15m. Given we're blatantly already spending more than we've got including the parachute payments, exactly what do you expect us to spend to find younger, better, and fitter players right now?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 14:24

howser Contrary to several on these "transfer target" threads I think another Centre Back is a must, last season we had more shots on goal against us than any other Championship side, on lots of ocassions match reports last season goals were conceded with the teams breaking our offside trap or the two incumbant CB's getting in each others way. We have no pace with Pearce and Morrison, both of whom seem to have stalled in their performances and are not improving.

Root cause. The problem isn't the centrebacks, although better ones wouldn't hurt, it's midfield as it's been for seasons. Retain the ball, have an outlet and protect the defence from the centre of the pitch and we'll concede far fewer.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 15:05

Ian Royal
Victor Meldrew

You don't seem to understand finance.

Just having parachute payments doesn't mean you can afford to spend more than you're already spending. They're there so you don't have to cut as drastically when your annual income would otherwise drop from circa £50m to about £15m. Given we're blatantly already spending more than we've got including the parachute payments, exactly what do you expect us to spend to find younger, better, and fitter players right now?

Having spent nearly 50 years working in finance it is something that I do know a little bit about.
Parachute payments do not have to be designated for any specific purpose.
Now that the club has gone some of the way in getting rid of players that it foolishly and recklessly tied in to excessive contract earnings and can anticipate further parachute payments as well as (presumably) some additional funds from the Thais there really should be money to spend on new players and as intimated elsewhere we can expect 4 or 5 without breaking the bank.

If the position is as dire as you paint then it looks as though we have been one of the worst run clubs rather than the "well run" line that we were fed time and again in the past.
BTW I love the certainty with which so many people post on the question of the club's finances when in fact it is just one big guess.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 15:09

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

Clueless.

I blame you absolutely for distracting me from more important matters-racing at Newbury.
Victor's Bet has just won at 20/1.
The boys will be round shortly to sort you out.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

Clueless.

I blame you absolutely for distracting me from more important matters-racing at Newbury.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew

Clueless.

334 posts