CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
madstadblues

Re: Cardiff bid for Sean Morrison

by madstadblues » 15 Aug 2014 09:49

As Mr Morrison is under contract I guess our Management could have refused to let him speak to Cardiff - is this correct. If it is, they must share some of the thoughts echod on this board that every player has his price and this offer is massively inflated & figure they could but someone better for less cash.

UNLESS.............

Mr Tan know that our Thais' dont have a brass Bhat to rub together & are greatful for the cash - du, dur, duuuurrrrr.......................................

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR: Sean Morrison to Cardiff

by melonhead » 15 Aug 2014 09:49

Basingstoke Royal Watts: Understand the fee for Morrison will hit £4 million with add-ons. Will be a touch over £3m up front #readingfc

Excellent!

lol. i dont think any one can argue that isnt gr8 business for us.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 15 Aug 2014 09:55

Don't like losing players but the moment I read in the EPo that he wanted to go I hoped it would have shades of Matt Mills to Leicester; where we smash them home and away and then win the league.

And now I've read that we will get £4million for him the circle is complete.

Bye Sean. Stick your cereal up your arse on the way out.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 15 Aug 2014 09:56

Plus we have Hector to come in at centre back as well. I'm really not overly concerned by this transfer. Two Morrison mistakes for the three goals we have conceded so far this season, and whilst him and Pearce are certainly not a bad partnership at this level, we need someone with a bit more pace in there.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Aug 2014 09:59

Like others have said, I'm not too fussed about losing Morrison as he's not half as good as people have made out previously.

He has a lot of the attributes to be a very good centre half but he's always left big gaps and appeared to switch off far too much to be a top draw defender in this league. A decent one yes, but nothing special, and to get more than £1.5m for him is amazing business. More than £3m and I'm surprised the club didn't bite Cardiffs arm off and it got to the point of him having to try and force it through.

We should really go out and get a replacement though. As much as I'm pleased it should give Hector a chance (at least until Ferdinand is match ready) to prove me wrong and make it at this level, it would be a bit of a gamble going into the season with just Pearce, the untested Hector and Ferdinand with question marks against him plus the kids as cover.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 10:00

If he also knew that when Ferdinand was fit, he would probably end up on the bench, you can't blame him for wanting the chance for first team football with a club who are splashing the cash in an attempt to go straight back up.

I still think we might regret this move in the future - more so, putting Ferdinand in. But time will tell.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Aug 2014 10:02

all we need to do now is buy a premiere league quality left back who can play CB, and we're sorted :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Aug 2014 10:04

Shall we phone a Friend?

MM

by MM » 15 Aug 2014 10:05

I thought he was a reasonable player but it's a good deal for us at £3m plus added clauses (assuming all or part reinvested). He's a decent 'stopper' but the centre back partnership never quite worked with Pearce (probably too similar). There isn't much to choose between the pair, but maybe a left-footed recruit would balance it better, one that is a little more comfortable on the ball and has good positional sense.

I wouldn't want us to remain with just Pearce, Hector and Ferdinand - that's not enough for a full Championship season especially with fitness (and quality) concerns over the latter, and with Hector being fairly untried at this level. Personally (I know, wrong thread) I would quite like to see somebody like Baudry of Leyton Orient considered - a ball-playing defender - especially if the rumoured £200k buy-out clause exists (doubtful about that).

I think it's wrong to say Sean has 'looked for' this move. I have no doubt he was happy enough, heard of the interest, weighed up the options, and felt it was a good move for him. It's probably fair to say they are better placed than we are, and footballers look quite short-term. The effect on the group will be harmed slightly more than any gaps on the pitch (irony), but I'm convinced that will soon be back to normal (whatever that is).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Aug 2014 10:06

:lol: why not

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Aug 2014 10:06

Anyone else surprised that Dave-royal is surprised by this news - he was adamant Morrison wasn't going anywhere the other day.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Aug 2014 10:07

with his spelling/grammar/syntax its often very hard to tell what he thinks

liamobey

by liamobey » 15 Aug 2014 10:16

4 million? That's mental.
Good riddance. Never liked him. Always seemed like he thought he was above the team.
Gambling on Hector at the back now which, judging by his performances end of last season, is a little risky as he's very weak on the ball for such a big bloke.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 15 Aug 2014 10:22

From the CS Press Conference

OLGS "To last in this league we need centre-backs. I’ve always said I wanted a centre back. I watched Sean and he caught my eye against Wigan and he did really well and I think he’s the kind of centre back you need."

"I asked Alfie (Le Fondre) about Morrison because you don’t know about the personality, but you speak to the players because they know each other.If you get a bad vibe then you don’t get them in."

Now I'm no football scout but if I was going to spend £4m or let a manager spend £4m on a player, I would do more than watch the player once and then ask his mate what is he like. :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2014 10:24

madstadblues From the CS Press Conference

OLGS "To last in this league we need centre-backs. I’ve always said I wanted a centre back. I watched Sean and he caught my eye against Wigan and he did really well and I think he’s the kind of centre back you need."

"I asked Alfie (Le Fondre) about Morrison because you don’t know about the personality, but you speak to the players because they know each other.If you get a bad vibe then you don’t get them in."

Now I'm no football scout but if I was going to spend £4m or let a manager spend £4m on a player, I would do more than watch the player once and then ask his mate what is he like. :roll:

Especially when he was at fault for a last minute equaliser in said game :lol:

Loved OGS as a player, but from what I've seen thus far he is an appalling manager.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Aug 2014 10:35

winchester_royal from what I've seen thus far he is an appalling manager.

He won the league twice and cup once in 3 seasons in Norway.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2014 10:38

Winston Smith

Good for him. I didn't see any of that though.

In the last 2 seasons he's finished 6th in the Norwegian league and been releg8ed. He then goes on to pay £2.5m for Alfie and sticks him on the right wing.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 15 Aug 2014 10:38

Winston Smith

wow.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 15 Aug 2014 10:40

apologies, he can only be 'appalling' then

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2014 10:41

Winston Smith apologies, he can only be 'appalling' then

Just going on what I've seen m8. Chill out.

597 posts